Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

cutting springs???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 12:17 PM

cutting springs???

hey im just curious, is cutting your springs safe??? or is it gonna mess up your suspension??? cause i gotta friend with a 97 240 and he wanted to cut his springs to make it lower cause he's kinda broke rite now. so just curious.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:30 PM

hell naw dont cut ur springs cuz you will be bouncing like i was
Old 05-11-2004, 02:07 PM

never cut the springs you will end up spending more money fixing things you broke that the initial $130 it would cost for springs.

i was also wondering when you say freind if your refering to yourself!!! sorry i been an a$$ all day
Old 05-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

I would NEVER do it.

Moved to suspension, please spost in the right area!
Old 05-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

ok I cut my springs before, the ride really wasnt bouncy, I got bored because I was trying to sell my sportline long story, so I cut them. The ride was not bouncy(with stock shocks) it felt like crap thought it was so soft, pissed me off so I coudnt stand the crappy handeling, so I put the sportlines back on. O yea the handeling was way softer than stock.
Ryan
Old 05-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

i'd say no. i saw this joken in a Neon on my way to work one morning and he was bouncing so hard, it looked like we was riding a horse bareback @ 75 mph!
Old 05-13-2004, 01:50 AM

cutting springs with a low spring rate is really bad. do it right and buy new springs. the cheap tein spring is $120 or so IIRC. i think its the cheapest spring that isn't generic. sportlines might be a better choice, but more money.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:59 AM

boo don't cut springs
Old 05-13-2004, 10:32 PM

If you cut springs you defeat the purpose on how there built. .Its a cheap way out of looking good.. but won't perform well. I don't recommend it. Just save up and get some good suspension.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:11 AM
Contributing Member

cutting springs could and has caused accidents. Bored or not, you won't be doing much if you cut your springs and end up flipping over on the freeway doing 100+ in your "slammed tight ride G".

Seriously, cutting springs to make a car look better is so old school (when there were no aftermarket springs available). your car won't sit even (I don't care if someone says they can cut prings perfectly - tell them they're an idiot and slap them for me), your tires will wear like you have a bent chassis, you'll bounce up and down on regular streets, you can ruin your front upper shock mounts, you can blow your shocks... etc.

If your friend is broke, then tell them to save up and lower his car the right way. If he/she's still stubborn and wants to cut them, tell them to still save up - to repair or replace everything I listed above.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by hitokiri_808
cutting springs with a low spring rate is really bad. do it right and buy new springs. the cheap tein spring is $120 or so IIRC. i think its the cheapest spring that isn't generic. sportlines might be a better choice, but more money.
u have any sites where i can find them at that price? im looking to lower my s13 a bit and like everyone else, i dont want to spend too much cash, so that seems like a pretty good deal.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:00 AM

Hey 12aine your beb is hot, let me holla....jk

Yea the car I bought came with cut springs, I guess he wanted that lowered look, but the rear suspension is so F**ked, it seriously feels like my rear end has a mind of it's own and it is going all over the place...I am afraid to drive it over 75mph in fear of dying!!!!

I just got ground controls, and kyb agx's so hopefully it will cure it.

DU MA!!!
Old 05-14-2004, 02:28 PM

when u bought the car did u know it had cut springs? thats something i would never consider doing so i was just wondering if u knew or not
Old 05-14-2004, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by dvasallo
Hey 12aine your beb is hot, let me holla....jk

Yea the car I bought came with cut springs, I guess he wanted that lowered look, but the rear suspension is so F**ked, it seriously feels like my rear end has a mind of it's own and it is going all over the place...I am afraid to drive it over 75mph in fear of dying!!!!

I just got ground controls, and kyb agx's so hopefully it will cure it.

DU MA!!!
GC/ AGX is a good combo man, you can't go wrong with that. While you're under there, check your bushings and other suspension parts to see if the cut springs messed anything up. Also - the rear end feels weird? check your rear toe setting for starters. Oh and thanks about my girly
Old 05-17-2004, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by kable
u have any sites where i can find them at that price? im looking to lower my s13 a bit and like everyone else, i dont want to spend too much cash, so that seems like a pretty good deal.
i guess i was mistaken the teins are $140.
http://www.intensepower.com/tessp248.html

theres also maxspeed springs for $120.
http://www.2kracing.com/product_info...oducts_id/2862

they might be cheaper otherplaces so look around. those were just sites i had in my bookmarks.

Quick Reply: cutting springs???