Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Emotion CR Kai

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 07:40 AM

Nah, what you had to say was good, but I was just looking for a little more input on the whole tire sizing issue...........

Like I said before, I'm trying to see if it is simply a matter of looks/aesthetics, or if it depends upon what you are going for (track, drift, straight line, etc)
Old 02-21-2006, 11:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jspaeth
All these suggestions seem to be for extremely stretched tires....

My original question was for someone to explain the effect of using stretched or wide tires relative to the rim, i.e.e how it effects performance, wear, traction, etc.

I mean some of you suggest like 215 on a 17x9 and other sources would suggest 245,255, or even 265
I said what you get with streched tire. Go back and read.

Larger diameter accompany with larger width increase the contact patch area (that is, the area of the tire contacts with the ground), thus result in more grip. However, this also result in poorer wet road grip because the pressure acting upon the contact patch (that is, the car's weight divided by contact patch area) is reduced thus the tire becomes easier to "float" on the water. Therefore the texture also need to be improved for better water clearance.

Low profile tires are also fashionable in these days. Since the thickness becomes thinner, it is more resistant to side wall deflection under substantial cornering force. However, this is not much related to grip.

It must be mentioned that wide tires are not always good. Especially are front tires, the wider they are, the more resistance generates when they are steered. This create a heavy and insensitive steering feel, also more tire roar and wear. If you want to modify your car by using wider tires, always consider the drawback first.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:47 AM

That is why I hate having 245 Nittos on the Front but I got them brand new for $50 each couldn't pass that deal up.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

fitting or not 50 bucks is cheap, **** i would have bought them just because.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

I would have bought 400 worth for use as rears or maybe $1000 and sell ones I don't need for $75-100