Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Future upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 08:46 PM

Future upgrades

Thinking about spending some money on my car already. I've caught the bug lol. I'm definitely getting subframe bushing spacers and a B&M shifter. There's $300 down the drain. But after that, I want to work on suspension upgrades.

First thing I'll do will be to get pillow ball TC rods. The old bushings on the stock TC rods are practically split apart, haha. Any particular brand that's better than others? Thoughts and opinions on some that you've installed on your car? I'm thinking about getting some TEIN brand TC rods, a shop here will sell them to me for $200.

After that I want to do something to fix the spongy, bouncy ride my car has right now. I'm debating whether I should just go KYB AGX struts and a good set of springs, or save up for coilovers. I don't have the money for coilovers right now, that's for sure. And I want to improve my ride quality asap. As well as I probably won't be needing them, either. This car is going to be a daily driver, with an occasional auto x or track run. What's out there that balances performance and comfort, but that doesn't cost too much?
Old 10-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

save for coilovers.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:19 AM
Contributing Member

def save coilovers, atleast get some megans or slurge for stance or kts
Old 10-28-2006, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

whats slurge? never heard of them?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

coilovers. stance, megan, kts, tein. there cheap and much better than shock and springs.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:56 AM

On autocarparts.com

You can get TEIN TC rods for 170 and also Tein Tie rods and tie rod ends for total of ~170

Upgraded tie rods makes steering feedback more direct, quicker response
Old 10-28-2006, 04:57 PM

I guess I will save for coilovers. But I'm still not sure if I need to. It's almost overkill for what I'd be using the car for. I've never ridden in a car that has coilovers; does the stiffer spring rate make it a lot less pleasant to use as a daily driver?

And to jspaeth, I know, that's why I'm doing both. TC rods first though since the bushings are so shot. Are those prices with shipping? Most of the places I have seen are around $200 not shipped. So that's still a good deal I guess. But I can get them for $200 at the shop.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:29 PM

Yeah it's like 170 or so not shipped....

I would say on the coilovers, it depends upon what you like, what makes you sick.

For the most part, I LOVE them. I can't stand regular cars anymore. With the coilovers, you feel every single bump, and the drive is HARSHER, but LESS SICKENING.

You hit a bump, and that's the end of the story. No oscillations (i.e. the card doesn't "bounce")

I would strongly suggest getting coilovers. If you say that what you are "using the car for" doesn't require coilovers, then you DEFINITELY don't need to by TC rods or tie rods, unless they are physically broken.

First suspension upgrade should be coilovers.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:39 PM

Haha, good point. The TC rods are not "broken", but the bushings might as well be. I get a lot of instability at highway speeds and I think that's the cause. Could also be warped / improperly balanced tires, but I don't think so, because it only does it around 70+ mph, and the tires look fine to me. Not only that, but the brakes have a shimmy when you push the pedal down firmly. I guess it would be better to just change out the bushings...but then I thought, if I'm going to do all that, might as well upgrade the TC rods for adjustable caster. How hard to get out are the TC rod bushings? I've heard they're tough...

Last edited by Alteus; 10-30-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Don't you need a machine to press those bushings out of the parts that they are attached to?
Old 11-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Contributing Member

a torch will work, and some elbow grease for the metal sleeve. or just bring it to your nearest community college auto shop...
Old 11-14-2006, 12:25 AM
Contributing Member

a torch will work, and some elbow grease for the metal sleeve. or just bring it to your nearest community college auto shop...
Old 11-14-2006, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

If you get tension control rods with rubber bushings please make sure you put the wheels back on have them touching the ground just enough to put wieght on them and then bolt up the bushing part of the TC rod to the tension control brackets/power brace or you will tear your brand spankin new bushings. WTF!!!!!
Old 11-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by re037
Better watch those double posts or that s13 moderator guy will bite your head off.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:32 AM
Contributing Member

yea, server has been a lot more buggy lately than usual. needs some maintenance since 2004, lol

Quick Reply: Future upgrades