Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Help. It's getting really, really annoying.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 04:37 AM
Contributing Member

Help. It's getting really, really annoying.

There's this odd sound coming from the left rear wheel area of my car. From a standstill, if I shift into 1st and go (fast, slow, grandma) I hear what sounds like metal hitting metal, and it's two "click" noises. It's pretty loud, but it only happens from a standstill (say when I stop for a light). I don't hear it any other time at all (I have a OEM exhaust so I can hear it) but it's definitely loud enough to hear from the outside.

Also, from a standstill in reverse, I heard a similar, but not as loud "click... click... click... etc." noise when I backup.

I've checked the suspension arm mounting bolts for tightness, I've checked for any loose bolts in the rear brake assembly, I've even checked the rear subframe but everything seems to be okay. I can't seem to duplicate the noise in the garage - If I remove the left rear wheel and jack the rear suspension up, I don't hear the noise. Even with the car off, if I push the bumper down and pull it up (simulating suspension movement) I still don't hear it. It only happens when I move the car from a standstill.

Does anyone have any ideas? It's driving me crazy trying to figure it out, and it's definitely annoying... even my girlfriend was like, "what's that click noise?" more than once.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like the diff went out.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Sounds like the diff went out.
then wouldn't the noise be coming from the diff housing?
Old 09-20-2004, 04:37 PM

its your lugs they are loose you better check them out bro b4 your tire falls off. It is usually caused by spirited driving/mountain runs. I know it happens to me all the time stoopid aftermarket wheels. careful though cause it could be the diff too, my friends blazer did that too and then there was a bang and we looked and there was a nickle size hole in his diff case.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by calidrifter
its your lugs they are loose you better check them out bro b4 your tire falls off. It is usually caused by spirited driving/mountain runs. I know it happens to me all the time stoopid aftermarket wheels. careful though cause it could be the diff too, my friends blazer did that too and then there was a bang and we looked and there was a nickle size hole in his diff case.
negative... lugs was the first thing I checked (it's happened to me before), but they're tight.

Anyway to check if it's the diff without taking it all apart? wouldn't it be only when turning if it was the diff?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

The sound would only happen when you slightly move, it happened with Oscar's VLSD. It seems to only make that noise when he is barely going into first.

Only way to check if it is the Diff is to open that baby up and look at the pretty gears.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:27 AM
Contributing Member

updated: I don't think it's the diff.

Earlier (about 1:30am) I went into the garage to install my replacement tension rods (temporary, poly bushing inserts) so I did the usual - wheel chocks, loosen front lugnuts, position jack under LEFT SIDE (note: same side as clicking noise).

Once the jack reached the chassis, one push of the jack handle down and IT MADE THAT NOISE. I stopped for a second, and then, with all attention on the left read, I pushed the jack handle down again, and IT MADE THE NOISE AGAIN. It was dead silent in the garage and outside my house (duh, 1:30am LOL) so I had a nice quiet place to hear that damn click noise. For each push of the jack handle, I heard that click noise, up until the left rear wheel left the pavement (yes, I'm jacking up the front, but my Tein Flex are setup short so that when you jack up the front corner, the rear raises up a bit too until you jack up the other front corner).

So it's gotta be part of the suspension. But it's weird because the noise only comes from the left side. Weird part is, I've gone over the left rear suspension about 5-6 times in the past week trying to find the source of the noise, but to no avail.

W.T.F.

...help, anyone.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:28 AM

did u inspect ur left tiens all the way (cm by cm)?
Old 09-23-2004, 02:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by QR25DE
did u inspect ur left tiens all the way (cm by cm)?
...yes, I'm **** about things like that so I actually pulled the teins off the car and measured the two pairs (both front, both rear) dead even to the millimeter.

SO HERE'S THE WEIRD PART:

2 nights ago, in one of my late night car stuff sessions, I removed my old OEM tension rods (right side was busted open, left side was on the way) and installed a set with poly bushings pressed in. Mind you, I only lifted the front of the car. Took her for a test drive after, and WHAT THE HELL noise in the back disappeared.

1 night ago at TAB - no noise.

Earlier this morning - thought I heard a soft "click" but it didn't repeat so I don't know if it was the same noise or not.

weird, huh?
Old 09-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

That makes you scartch your head.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:02 PM

what the... mabe its magic =0P
Old 09-24-2004, 07:22 AM

ahahahaa... geez i love nissans
Old 09-24-2004, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Texas240
ahahahaa... geez i love nissans
MAzda's are even better
Old 09-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

damnit. click came back. It's definitely suspension. nothing looks bent or loose or damaged, and unless I crashed without knowing, the rear suspension isn't tweaked in any way.

w.t.f.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:21 PM

you don' have to tell me Hy!
All my bud's in my car club have FB's & FC's... squirrley, squirrley cars.

Quick Reply: Help. It's getting really, really annoying.