Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Installed my Tein Flex today!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 08:12 PM

Exclamation Installed my Tein Flex today!

I installed my Tein Flex today and it was a piece of cake, I didnt mess around with the ride height in the rear and it sat just right with the ammount of wheel gap lowered, but the front i messed with a little but its still higher than the rear, and the wheel gap is still pretty large. How much can I lower the front? Just feel like that spring wont be able to take it lol, but how low can i go? My set up is 9 all around I believe and I love the ride. But I just want to get the front a lil lower, any ideas on how to measure? Can I adjust them without takin da wheel off? Any more suggestions on how to measure, thanks!!!
Old 01-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

You change height of the shock or the spring?
Old 01-16-2005, 10:31 PM

height of the spring right? You cant change the height of the shock only the dampening as of i know. I was adjusting the screw mechanism under the spring using the wrench they provided.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:23 AM

l2aine is a expert on these too..hes flexing his s14 too
Old 01-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Installed my Tein Flex today!

Originally posted by vbgambini
I installed my Tein Flex today and it was a piece of cake, I didnt mess around with the ride height in the rear and it sat just right with the ammount of wheel gap lowered, but the front i messed with a little but its still higher than the rear, and the wheel gap is still pretty large. How much can I lower the front? Just feel like that spring wont be able to take it lol, but how low can i go? My set up is 9 all around I believe and I love the ride. But I just want to get the front a lil lower, any ideas on how to measure? Can I adjust them without takin da wheel off? Any more suggestions on how to measure, thanks!!!
1. I hope you read the manual and measured/tightened the entire assembly before installing the Flex. There's a base setup in the manual, and even if out of the box the Flex looks good to go, you still have to tighten everything down.

2. For the front you can't adjust without taking the wheel off. Well - you can fit the wrenches up under there etc. but you probably won't have enough leverage and the proper angle to tighten the perches correctly.

3. You're using the wrong perches to adjust ride height for the Flex. With the Flex, there's 3 total "perches" - the upper two which lock together and form the lower spring seat, and the lower perch which locks against the lower shock mount.

For the Flex, you adjust ride height by changing the physical length of the shock itself. To do this you loosen the 3rd perch (lowest) and then twist the lower shock mount up or down to change ride height. This allows you to keep the shock stroke at optimum, since you're not compressing the shock in order to lower the car (as is the case with SS or those crappy coilover-perch things on Ebay).

The upper 2 perches are used for spring preload in the case of the Flex system.

4. I suggest measuring everything using the diagrams in the manual. You'll get an accurate setup that way.

5. As far as lowering the front, you can go this low (see below) before you start rubbing fenders and scraping coins on the street:

My car. That's about a 4 inch clearance for the front lip... or in old school "street racer" terms - I'm running "negative finger and a half or so" all around... LOL
Old 01-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

my that is one sexy car...
Old 01-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by LandHo_S13
my that is one sexy car...
ok now you're making fun of me... LOL
Old 01-18-2005, 05:22 PM

wow that is sexy, and dammmmm that looks so low, doesnt really look like 4 inches there
Old 01-18-2005, 09:15 PM

looks like 2 inches! but its still a clean ride =D
Old 01-19-2005, 12:49 AM
Contributing Member

dang that's low. talk about gettin sideways.....into the driveway lol. that's a sweet ride I2aine. *ahem* looks like someone needs a touch up on their lip(driver side) hahahahaha jk
Old 01-19-2005, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by l2aine
ok now you're making fun of me... LOL
No your car is sexy, now all we have to do is get you some offset.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by LandHo_S13
No your car is sexy, now all we have to do is get you some offset.
so true. so true.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

I want a drop like that, lol. Anything lower than stock. ;_;
Old 01-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ArticDragon
I want a drop like that, lol. Anything lower than stock. ;_;
Well you have to actually BUY parts before you can expect your car to change from stock
Old 01-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by l2aine
Well you have to actually BUY parts before you can expect your car to change from stock
WTF are kidding me. Buy parts i thought that the car upgraded itself after you got a certain amount of points.

Damn no wonder.

Quick Reply: Installed my Tein Flex today!