Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

just a thought!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 10:24 PM

Lightbulb just a thought!

hey guys i was thinking today and i had an idea... i dont know if its been covered before but here it is. I have been looking into the z32 front brake conversion and going to need the 5 lug conversion too. well after a little research i heard most people saying i need front hubs and spindles and front s14 balljoint (the ball joint is the part that got me thinking) calipers rotors and rear hubs... ok now on to the ball joint idea. i was reading "press the s14 ball joint into the s13 flcas because the s14 arms are too long". now i figure ill just use the whole s14 flca with it being longer it will give me more negative camber for better traction... then when i get my kei office coilovers with adjustable camber plates if i decide to correct the negative camber than it will also be beneficial because im going to have a slighty wider wheel base. ok so thats my idea... anyone ever done this? see any flaws in my plan?
Old 10-14-2004, 11:10 PM

easier way...

buy the gto hubs from jspec.com for the front, and get z32 or s14 ones for the rear

get z32 rotors, calipers and aftermarket brake lines (some ppl like the z32 master cylinder too)

install
Old 10-14-2004, 11:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Jedi Mind Gamez
easier way...

buy the gto hubs from jspec.com for the front, and get z32 or s14 ones for the rear

get z32 rotors, calipers and aftermarket brake lines (some ppl like the z32 master cylinder too)

install
X2. Best way to do it
Old 10-15-2004, 12:54 AM

well those hubs are like 500 bucks im getting the s14 front hubs and spindles, rear hubs front and rear rotors front z32 calipers front lower control arms of an s14 for 750 i think that that conversion is a total waste of money plus i get a slightly wider front wheel base with the OEM set up. i think that front hub conversion thing is good if u dont care how much money you spend and are too lazy to install the other suspension parts
Old 10-15-2004, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

But you're getting a new peice, not somethign used.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ArticDragon
But you're getting a new peice, not somethign used.

I would fork over the money for the gto hubs...
Old 10-15-2004, 07:17 PM

is there some sort of advantage to these GTO hubs that i dont know about? i cant see any reason i wouldd pay $500 for a hub and a bearing ?!?!(O_o)?!?!
Old 10-15-2004, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

I'ts new, immaculate, not used and beat up. These new pieces will be more reliable than any used piece out there. Remember, these are comming from cars at least 7 years old, even 14 at most.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:19 AM

alright i respect your oppinion but i think im gonna go with used OEM parts. besides the point that the parts im gonna be using are used do u think my idea for the longer s14 flca to increase camber and wheel base is a good idea? will it even work?
Old 10-18-2004, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Aniki_Andy
alright i respect your oppinion but i think im gonna go with used OEM parts. besides the point that the parts im gonna be using are used do u think my idea for the longer s14 flca to increase camber and wheel base is a good idea? will it even work?
If you could use an S14 FLCA on an S13, then don't you think whoever wrote the stuff you "researched" would have done that instead of going through the whole ball joint relocation thing? It's not like these are new cars we're talking about, they've been around like Arctic pointed out. And not to sound hostile, but with people already going through putting Z32/Skyline brakes, 4>5 lug conversions, full engine swaps, etc. I bet someone would have already tried your S14 FLCA idea. But who knows, maybe you should just try it and see what happens. Just my opinion.

... and also in my opinion guys, stop suggesting GTO hubs (I would have suggested the same also), even if it's easier and well worth the higher price because it seems like he's set on going the hard way with used parts to save some $.

$500 for a hub and bearing that's brand new seems steep, but just to reinforce it one last time:

GTO Hub pros IMO:
- machined, not cast
- all new hub = 0 mileage
- brand new bearing = 0 mileage, 0 play, 0 wear
- no extra mods needed to use
- no need to hunt forums then fight over them

GTO Hub cons IMO:
- costs more than used S14 hubs
- might be sold out, (but there's a reason why they sell)

S14 Hub pros IMO:
- costs less than GTO hubs, expecially if you get lucky in a junkyard
- designed by the original manufacturer

S14 Hub cons IMO:
- hard to find because they sell quickly
- anything you find outside of ordering a new one will be already 7
to 10 years old
- no guarantees that they are straight (a lot of used 5 lug hubs show up for sale because they're off a car that CRASHED.)
- the ball joint thing

Hyjynx feel free to add to this, homeslice.

Conclusion - I'g go GTO. If I can't afford it, I'll save a little more til I can. Then again I have a 95 SE so nevermind
Old 10-18-2004, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Raine covered it all.

If I was doing a 5 lug conversion it would be GTO all the way, even though they cost more. Totally worth it.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:00 PM

ok so the front control arms of the s14 DO work allowing for up to -3º camber now my question is since im going to be using s14 spindles could i use both front and rear s14 struts? when i get coil overs?
Old 10-22-2004, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Aniki_Andy
ok so the front control arms of the s14 DO work allowing for up to -3º camber now my question is since im going to be using s14 spindles could i use both front and rear s14 struts? when i get coil overs?
Front yes, rear no. The top mount on an S13 is narrower than an S14. Might as well get the S13 set and make it simple.