Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

KYB AGX installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 12:11 PM

Question KYB AGX installation

i got kyb agx adjustable shock and whiteline springs. my question is how hard is it to install them? i guess i'm okay with mechanical stuff so will i be able to install them? i don't have any fancy tools, only jack stands, hydrolic jack, wrenches and the basic tools. i tried to loosen some bolts down there but they were so hard, i coundn't even budge em. is it ok to use dw-40 on those bolts? how long do guys think it will take for a first timer? or should i just go to a shop even though it's gonna be a little pricy? thanks
Old 11-02-2003, 12:49 PM

Unless you are not confident in yourself then take it to a shop, its not that hardd ad shouldnt differ from a stock shock replace..Do a quick search or better yet go to nissaninfinifticlub.com and look for a KYB shock installation thread..
Old 11-02-2003, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

without power tools, you're looking SEVERAL hours to take the springs off and put new one's on, and you'll need the spring compressors unless you want them shooting around and killing someone. You can pick a set up for like $20. The bolts will be hard to get off, get a breaker bar and it's cool to use WD40.

DIY STEP BY STEP INSTALL KYB AGX'S

This will help you.

Dr.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:22 AM

You'll definitely need the spring compressors. Springs store up an awful alot of energy and unless you unload them them carefully and correctly, you'll be looking at a world of hurt.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 11-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by S13Nissan240SX
You'll definitely need the spring compressors. Springs store up an awful alot of energy and unless you unload them them carefully and correctly, you'll be looking at a world of hurt.

Good luck,
Matt
I can vouch for that. In KC when we were installing my KYB AGX's, I was in a rush and absent minded and totally forgot to put the compressors on. I was using the power tools, and the spring/shock was in my lap. It got to the point where it was loose, the spring shot up and whacked me in the face, causing a little blood and a bruise, and then continued up and hit the ceiling. It even knocked me back on my butt a couple feet.

So that taught me to pay attention, lol

Dr.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by drnovascotia
I can vouch for that. In KC when we were installing my KYB AGX's, I was in a rush and absent minded and totally forgot to put the compressors on. I was using the power tools, and the spring/shock was in my lap. It got to the point where it was loose, the spring shot up and whacked me in the face, causing a little blood and a bruise, and then continued up and hit the ceiling. It even knocked me back on my butt a couple feet.

So that taught me to pay attention, lol

Dr.
Holy Crap! I can't believe that all you got was a little blood and a bruse. I've heard of much worse. Either way, I guess it's a good thing you're a doctor.

---Matt
Old 11-05-2003, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

lol, yeah. I totally thought I was lke dead, I was in shock for a few mins and my buddy looked over at me and was like damn dude, had that gone under your chin you were toast. So I am definately lucky.

Dr.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:41 AM

Thumbs up

i installed my KYB AGX, whiteline springs, kyb strut mount, boots today. the car feels so much better. when i was installing them i found out that my two front shocks were busted. on the front we used the spring compressers, but we didn't use on the back two. it didn't shoot out or anything. it took us the whole day to do em, cause we didn't have any power tool and i hadn't done it before. did i mention that the car handles really good now. now all i have left to do is install my rear strut bar when in comes in and get a KAAZ lsd to start drifting big time. oh yeah and i have to get my new brake pads and steel lines installed too. the installation wasn't that complicated. so people try to do them yourselves so you can save alot of money and used it on something else. sure it might take some time but it's gonna be worth it, cause later you say like i installed them myself.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

well congrats on the install. It's definately worth it so say you installed them yourself, makes the car worth that much more, and you learn that much more as well. Did the faq I got you help @ all?
Those AYB's are really good, what setting do you have them on? I don't even wanna know how much a shop would charge for the install.

Dr.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:43 PM

oh yeah it helped alot. it gave some idea of what i had coming when i installed them. i'm running on 2 front and 4 on the back. thanks.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

np bud, glad they went on well and you didn't get beat up like I did. Any suggestions you would add to help the install? Hyjnx is doing a writeup on installation, any feedback?

Dr.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:29 PM

for whoever is going to this installation i would suggest: read up all u can find on the web, i found that there are alot of good info out there. also get all the tools ready bofore starting the installation. i had to go to autozone twice get some tools like socket adapters... get a service manual for your car. it also has alot of info, and the torque specs on it helped me alot. u wouldn't want to tighten things too tight or too loose. rent some spring compressors cause u woudn't want it shooting out injuring someone or breaking something like your precious car. i used it on my front, but i got too lazy and didn't use em on the back. don't be too lazy, u never know, so don't take that risk. over all it was a pretty doable installation. oh yeah, get a friend or someone to help u. i wouldn't have been able to do it alone. and thanks to the people on the forum.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:40 AM

got any pictures, I am very interested in this setup