Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

lower my center of gravity!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 07:02 PM

lower my center of gravity!

Hey guys im goning to be getting a lower ride height soon and i cant afford to get coilovers and i also wouldnt be using them to their potential since there is no auto x or drag strips close to me... so i am just going a cheap but reliable solution and just getting napa replacement struts and lowering springs.. (not sure which brand yet) and i know it depends on how much of a drop i go depends on how much my camber will be effected... now i have searched for a while and i havent really got the answers i needed so i just figured i would ask.. if i got 1.5 inch drop to a 2 inch drop how much (estimated) would my camber be off... and could i get away with using camber bolts to correct this, or slot my oem upper control arm to allow more adjustment, or would i have to upgrade to new camber adjusting control arms and top pillow mounts?? now keep in mind i am going to be getting a professional alignment after the install... i just dont want them to tell me here ya go this is all we could do now your tires are going to wear out sooner.. now i dont mind spending a little extra cash on doing it right the first time.. i just need to know what i can get by with... and if i dont get top mount camber plates then would you recommend new factory style top strut mounts?? makes sense with me to go with new... but i am not sure if its needed... btw my s14 has 183K on it with all factory suspension... which means i also would like to upgrade all the worn out bushings and sway bars when i do lower my car..... ohh and yes im going to cheap out and get god speed sway bars.... and last but not least please dont flame on me i have been a 240 driver for 6 years and 2 different cars so im no newbie and i have searched... i just need to know what i can get by with and what i dont have to worry about thanks for everyones help over the years!!!

-Eric

Last edited by SmokedZenki; 10-04-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

for a 1.5"-2.75" or so drop, all you need are two camed bolts for the front. the rear can be brought back to spec with the factory arms. anything lower will require additional aftermarket components.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:41 PM

thats awesome that will def bring the cost down!! now to be for sure should i slot the holes in the rear for extra adjustment??
-Eric
Old 10-06-2009, 02:55 PM

i talked with the guy at napa and he said that i shouldnt use their oem style strut with lowering springs because it will cause the strut to blow / wear out prematurely... which makes sense to me... but im on a budget and kyb struts are a little out of my price range.... i also price the front top strut mount / bearing and they are 75 each ouch... im still wondering if i should use the factory ones or go ahead and replace them since im already in there?? or i could still go with coil overs they would just have to be cheap ones and i haven't hear anything good on the cheap ones such as ksports etc..... what would u guys do if you were on a budget and in my situation?? i just need some opinons guys all are welcome!!
ps im not heating my factory springs or cutting my factory springs so that idea is no good haha
Thanx
-Eric
Old 10-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

My opinion is... don't do any thing yet. Just wait and save up more money, no need in modifying when you don't have the money to do so.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

for normal everyday driving, oem struts with lowering springs will be fine. hard braking and cornering is what will cause premature wear and blowouts, not shortening the travel of the strut rod.

i had the same concern when i bought my lowering springs so i took a gamble and have
been driving of chopped dropzone springs for years. i have yet to have any problems, but i don't recommend you do this if you plan on doing anything other than normal driving.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 AM

I dropped one of my cars with lowering springs and KYB AGX shock/struts which were fine BUT it turned out lower than I expected.

And the camber was not adjustable/correctable with stock arms.

So if your going to lower it with springs I think your also going to need adjustable arms everywhere. IMO.

I would just save for coilovers.

QUESTION:
With coilovers, if you lower car 1-2 inches (NOT DUMPED), do you need adjustable arms ???

I am in the same boat as you, I have saved for coilovers but haven't ordered them concerned that I am eventually going to need adjustable arms.

Last edited by FuriousZ; 10-07-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FuriousZ
I dropped one of my cars with lowering springs and KYB AGX shock/struts which were fine BUT it turned out lower than I expected.

And the camber was not adjustable/correctable with stock arms.

So if your going to lower it with springs I think your also going to need adjustable arms everywhere. IMO.

I would just save for coilovers.

QUESTION:
With coilovers, if you lower car 1-2 inches (NOT DUMPED), do you need adjustable arms ???

I am in the same boat as you, I have saved for coilovers but haven't ordered them concerned that I am eventually going to need adjustable arms.
well the front of coilovers come with camber plates so you dont need extra arms in the front. the rear u need RUCA's (Rear Upper Control Arm's) to adjust camber BUT you shouldnt need to adjust camber for a 1-2inch drop infact i think u would want to drop it more cause u will still have wheel gap
Old 10-08-2009, 08:32 PM

Alright i like what im hearing!! im gonna go ahead with the lowering springs instead on coilovers... and rucas aren't too expensive... and jr yes i am going to just be dong daily driving nothing extreme at all just better handling and a lower stance... now correct me if im wrong but even if i lower my car 1.5 inches and still wasnt satified with the wheel gap being too much wouldnt 17" or 18" wheels help fill in the gap or would they just lift the car higher?? also any thoughts on the front top strut mounts and if i should change them or keep stock???

Thanks guys
-Eric
Old 10-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Contributing Member

if your budget doesn't allow you to at least buy a set of agx you shouldn't be modifying your car.

Last edited by MS!3; 10-11-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

i would have to agree with the rest of the the guys and suggest you save up for coilovers. i'm perfectly satisfied with lowering springs because i don't want to spend all day maneuvering over speed bumps tiring to get out of parking lot. a 1.5" drop like you're talking about will only leave you disappointed, here's what a 2.5" drop with 17" wheels and 45 series tires looks like. there's about a 2" gap all around, it's just right for me, but some have asked why i didn't lower it more. the reason is simple, i don't want to. but like i said, you sound like you'll only regret not saving up and getting coilovers.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:46 PM

Well really i cant go too low because i live in wv and i scrape in some places now at stock height i would just like a little lower stance and better handling so even if i still have a wheel gap i will be okay because i can't slam it or i wouldnt even be able to get out of my driveway... so i can't use coilovers for now.... also to ad in my better handling i am going to upgrape the sway bars and new bushings all around.... ive also heard good things about the nismo power brace, fender brace, and a rear strut tower bar but for now those i am going to wait on.... and i have to save up for a paint job for next summer... argh.. i got alot of saving to do... u guys may laugh but one way i am saving $ is by saving scrap metals such as copper and aluminum to take in to the scrap yard.. i have roughy 75lbs of copper and 200lbs of clean aluminum saved up.... copper here is 1.90 per lb and aluminum is 28 cents per lb = to almost $200... i know its not much but it adds up when u save it for a while..... sorry for getting off topic.. just figured i would give you guys an idea on how to make some free cash...

thanx
-Eric
Old 11-16-2009, 03:05 PM

hey guys i found 2 s13 adjustable top rear control arms that i found hidin in my house from when i had my s13 would these work on my s14 or would i still have to get the s14 style??
thanx
Eric
Old 11-16-2009, 04:42 PM

I say get coilovers. 2 inches is not low enough. I need like a foot drop.
lol