Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

My solution for choosing TEIN coilovers

Old 11-06-2004, 08:18 PM

My solution for choosing TEIN coilovers

I wasn't sure if I was comfort king or drift master. So I did some homework about the driffrence between the SS, FLEX , and HE. The only diffrence about SS and HE the front spring rate (SS = 6kgf, HE = 8kgf) but they share the same mono tube design. The SS also have and optional spring rate diffrence up to +2kgf. Flex Use the twin tube design for a more comfortable ride but might not be aggresive enough than the mono.

For adjustiblity on ride hight Flex give you the lowest drop (F = 2.32in / R = 2.2in), next SS (F = 1.81in / R =2.17in), and the least HE (F = 1.14in / R = 1.06).

The lil perks with Tein HEs are that it comes with pillow, Flexs have teflon coating on the threads to prevent rusting, SS are painted with there well known green (give you more visual props cause I know most of us will never have any thing else that color.)

As for cost SS and HE are about the same price if you add the pillow mount. Getting someone to perfessonally teflon the thread and you have the Flex.

I going to invest in the SS with pillow mount and extra siff spring. Most likely I won't drift all the way to work ( even tho that sounds fun ) so I'm taking the more streetable coilover ( and fear of falling in the many pot hole in my city ). Changing up the springs won't be pratical but it do make life sweeter for a poor man like me. That why I bought my brand new 92........
Attached Thumbnails My solution for choosing TEIN coilovers-my240.jpg  
Old 11-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Re: My solution for choosing TEIN coilovers

Originally posted by smokey240sx
I wasn't sure if I was comfort king or drift master. So I did some homework about the driffrence between the SS, FLEX , and HE. The only diffrence about SS and HE the front spring rate (SS = 6kgf, HE = 8kgf) but they share the same mono tube design. The SS also have and optional spring rate diffrence up to +2kgf. Flex Use the twin tube design for a more comfortable ride but might not be aggresive enough than the mono.

For adjustiblity on ride hight Flex give you the lowest drop (F = 2.32in / R = 2.2in), next SS (F = 1.81in / R =2.17in), and the least HE (F = 1.14in / R = 1.06).

The lil perks with Tein HEs are that it comes with pillow, Flexs have teflon coating on the threads to prevent rusting, SS are painted with there well known green (give you more visual props cause I know most of us will never have any thing else that color.)

As for cost SS and HE are about the same price if you add the pillow mount. Getting someone to perfessonally teflon the thread and you have the Flex.

I going to invest in the SS with pillow mount and extra siff spring. Most likely I won't drift all the way to work ( even tho that sounds fun ) so I'm taking the more streetable coilover ( and fear of falling in the many pot hole in my city ). Changing up the springs won't be pratical but it do make life sweeter for a poor man like me. That why I bought my brand new 92........
Man I've been down that road so many times already... a few corrections:

- HE damper has specific valving for drift usage - it's more aggressive than SS or Flex, and not designed IN ANY WAY to be used for daily driving, regardless of what some owners may claim

- SS, HE, and Flex can all go +/-2kgf/mm in spring rate from the standard springs included with the setup

- HE and Flex are more similar in adjustment than the SS. The SS does not have shock length adjustment, whereas HE and Flex do.

- SS and Flex are both green, but Flex has the rust-proof coating

- SS + Pillowmount cost more total than HE or Flex, plus (as mentioned above) there's no rustproof coating or shock length adjustment

- SS and Flex are compatible with EDFC, HE is not

- SS has slightly softer valving compared to Flex, so stiffer springs would work better with Flex, as long as you stick within +/-2kgf.mm. SS were designed specifically for USA roads which tend to be a lot bumpier than Japan roads and highways.

All of the above is both from personal experience and talking constantly with Tein USA

If you want a streetable setup with occassional track/drift action, my suggestion is to go with the Flex. It has all the adjustments you need, incuding pillow mounts and shock length adjust. Then go for an extra set of springs in a stiffer range for track duty.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:11 PM

damn I should just delete my post should I.