Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Nismo Tension Rod

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 07:27 PM

not that great of a discount, courtesy nissan has those for ~$32 each....and as far as i know, the Nismo T/C rod is just a regular T/C rod with the nismo bushings (hard rubber instead of grease filled) pressed in.....in a related matter, i believe the T/C rod for a 300ZX(90-96) is identical to the S13 T/C rod. I've found a set of S13 T/C rods w/Whiteline polyU bushings pressed in for ~$50 if you're interested.

the main reason i've decided to go with Nismo RUBBER bushings instead of polyurethane bushings for the T/C rod is b/c of the fact/myth? that having no play in the T/C rod bushing during hard braking and suspension deflection can cause excessive stress on the lower control arm, which can potentially cause it to crack......besides, i really don't care to have adjustable T/C rods.......and i figure if a billion dollar company like Nissan trust Nismo, then who the hell am I to question that....

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=54476-RS590
Old 01-21-2005, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by badman70_1
not that great of a discount, courtesy nissan has those for ~$32 each....and as far as i know, the Nismo T/C rod is just a regular T/C rod with the nismo bushings (hard rubber instead of grease filled) pressed in.....in a related matter, i believe the T/C rod for a 300ZX(90-96) is identical to the S13 T/C rod. I've found a set of S13 T/C rods w/Whiteline polyU bushings pressed in for ~$50 if you're interested.

the main reason i've decided to go with Nismo RUBBER bushings instead of polyurethane bushings for the T/C rod is b/c of the fact/myth? that having no play in the T/C rod bushing during hard braking and suspension deflection can cause excessive stress on the lower control arm, which can potentially cause it to crack......besides, i really don't care to have adjustable T/C rods.......and i figure if a billion dollar company like Nissan trust Nismo, then who the hell am I to question that....

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=54476-RS590
I've read reports about that too... and in a way it makes sense - the pillowball tension rods were designed for nice, smooth race tracks - I don't think they were designed to absorb the harsh bumps and stuff on public roads because there is absolutely no play with pillowball mounts.

I have hard poly bushings from Whiteline, which I think are stiffer than the solid rubber Nismo ones, and although steering response sharpened up quite a bit, whenever I have to go over railroad tracks etc. it's pretty harsh
Old 01-21-2005, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by l2aine
...the pillowball tension rods were designed for nice, smooth race tracks - I don't think they were designed to absorb the harsh bumps and stuff on public roads because there is absolutely no play with pillowball mounts........although steering response sharpened up quite a bit, whenever I have to go over railroad tracks etc. it's pretty harsh

yep. also keep in mind that if you truly have a track car, then you don't really care about harshness, also, you almost expect to break things. i'm sure over time, the lower control arm could crack.

the only reason i'm replacing mine is b/c they're busted and leaking.....while i'm in there, i might as well go ahead and replace my tie rod ends w/new ball joint(advanced auto $24/each), the ball joint on the lower control arm and possibly the lower control arm bushing(probably a polyU).........gotta get the turbo GSR going first though.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:41 AM

Well, I've decided I'm gonna go with the whiteline poly bushings. I have also ordered the control arm bushings, and pretty much every Nismo strut bushing to help minimize suspension deflection. Everything should be alright. If I crack the control arm, they are not that expensive anyways.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by n_dogg10
..... Everything should be alright. If I crack the control arm, they are not that expensive anyways.

they are not that expensive, until that hairline crack that you didn't notice, snaps the control arm while your driving......i suppose if you regularly check then that's ok, sorry, i'm just a little paranoid, plus i don't want to go through the hassle of having to take the control arm off, and pressing in a new ball joint/bushing........doubt that this happens often, but......
Old 01-22-2005, 03:35 PM

the way I look at it, if I break something, it gives me a reason to spend money on something new or better. I have a 92 coupe and a 90 hatch, so if I break one, I wont go into s13 withdrawl.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:08 PM

Raine. i think i did the foglight mod wrong. the right one stays on (foglight) and the left is like trying to give me morse code. it keeps on blinking. help a __gga out. n_dogg
Old 01-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by pinoymcflurry
Raine. i think i did the foglight mod wrong. the right one stays on (foglight) and the left is like trying to give me morse code. it keeps on blinking. help a __gga out. n_dogg
No clue why it's blinking, there's no flasher relay in the circuit at all

...check the connections to the relay - one of the connections has two wires going into it - those two wires go to the foglights themselves.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by pinoymcflurry
Dude you have super rare techno strobe light DAMN you rock!
Old 01-24-2005, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by LandHo_S13
Dude you have super rare techno strobe light DAMN you rock!
That's JDM
Old 01-24-2005, 01:02 PM

Hmmm.....back on topic....
l2aine, do you like the whiteline bushings? Because energy suspension makes them also. And, do you have to worry about the OEM tension rods bending at all?
Old 01-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by n_dogg10
Hmmm.....back on topic....
l2aine, do you like the whiteline bushings? Because energy suspension makes them also. And, do you have to worry about the OEM tension rods bending at all?
Steering response picked up quick... feels really good, a little louder than OEM over some bumps, but not as harsh as full-on pillowballs. I've gone over some pretty bad railroad tracks at speed, OEM tension rods are still straight
Old 01-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

The rods will bend if you hit something.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:59 PM

rofl copter
Old 02-21-2005, 01:16 AM

Can a tension rod still not take "bumpy, everyday roads" even if

one has a static loading of 10,700 LBS?