Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.
View Poll Results: Which Coilovers Should I Get?
Tein HA's with the optional pillow mount/camber plates
30.00%
Tein HE's straight from the box (no add-ons)
60.00%
Something else (please post your ideas)
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Poll for Tein Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Poll for Tein Coilovers

Kay, so basically I'm deciding between HA's and HE's for my S14. If I were to get HA's I would also get the upper pillow ball mount for camber adjustment. If I get the HE's they come with the adjustable upper mount (I think). Other differences I know - HE's have adjustable shock length, but HA's have softer springs that won't jar my fillings loose when I daily drive them, unlike the stiffer HE springs.

I'm building the car up to "weekend warrior" status - like I said, it's also my daily driver, so ride quality on public roads might come into play if the HE's are too stiff.

So that's where I stand right now. Can any owners of HA's and especially HE's add some input/opinions/complaints? I'm also open to other brand suggestions, but I'm mainly looking for the following:

- full coilover system
- adjustable camber plates for the front
- adjustable shock dampening
- shock length adjust is optional, but preferred
- spring rates can't bee too stiff for daily use
- probably nothing from JIC (heard their customer service sucks)

Oh and don't forget to vote in the poll

Old 05-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Tough choice. The HA's along with U/P cost just about the same as the HE's. Personally, I dont mind the stiff ride that HE's have(I have rode in a few S13s with HE's)so I would go for the HE's. But since you are looking for a somewhat not harsh ride I think the best thing for you would be the HA's with U/P.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Tough choice. The HA's along with U/P cost just about the same as the HE's. Personally, I dont mind the stiff ride that HE's have(I have rode in a few S13s with HE's)so I would go for the HE's. But since you are looking for a somewhat not harsh ride I think the best thing for you would be the HA's with U/P.
Well I've been in a couple Solo-X cars with full race suspensions on the street and a couple of them felt like rolling bricks on rough pavement. Would you say that HE's feel the same, or are they soft enough to live with?
Old 05-13-2004, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by l2aine
Well I've been in a couple Solo-X cars with full race suspensions on the street and a couple of them felt like rolling bricks on rough pavement. Would you say that HE's feel the same, or are they soft enough to live with?
They are soft enough for me to live with, even the HA's on the stiffest setting isnt that bad. I know I can live with it, you get used to it after awhile....but your passangers wont.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

Kay here's another question - do you think that the adjustable shock length adjustment is really that necessary for a 80% daily 20% track car? I like the idea of having as many adjustment possibilities as possible, but when I think about it, I don't know if I'd really need the shock length adjust. What do you think?
Old 05-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Kay here's another question - do you think that the adjustable shock length adjustment is really that necessary for a 80% daily 20% track car? I like the idea of having as many adjustment possibilities as possible, but when I think about it, I don't know if I'd really need the shock length adjust. What do you think?
For your needs, no. Thats more of a 80% track car 20% daily type of thing. I think HA's will make you real happy...but you might get bitten by the track bug and you want your car to compete more and more and upgrade from the HA's.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:10 PM

I have HE's and my car is my daily driver and drift machine. If you plan to drift the car.. I've met ppl at the track with HA's and they say its too soft.. and had one guy with 18's on his s14 **** up his wiring harness due to the soft springs. There are times where my ride is a bit bouncy but nothing i can't live with. Bottom line I like my HE's for the price and quality its worth it. But then again I'm on the track at least once a month and in the mountains every other weekend. its gonna be a tuffy. But since your more concered about driving on the streets then I would say HA's but if not then get the HE's
Old 05-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

HE would be my choice with 9/ springs. but both are soft its all about 12/10 Kei office!
Old 05-14-2004, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by stannyboy
I have HE's and my car is my daily driver and drift machine. If you plan to drift the car.. I've met ppl at the track with HA's and they say its too soft.. and had one guy with 18's on his s14 **** up his wiring harness due to the soft springs. There are times where my ride is a bit bouncy but nothing i can't live with. Bottom line I like my HE's for the price and quality its worth it. But then again I'm on the track at least once a month and in the mountains every other weekend. its gonna be a tuffy. But since your more concered about driving on the streets then I would say HA's but if not then get the HE's
It's not that I'm that concerned as I may sound... I mean 80% daily 20% track would come out to about 6 times a month hard driving

And I don't like that "HA's might be too soft" refernece. I'm hoping this guy with HE's on his FC3S that my brother knows will show up this weekend so I can get the real feel of them, so I'll see from there. Thanks though for the input

Anyone else wanna add to the convo -> type it out
Old 05-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

OT

Raine you going out to DDay 16?
Old 05-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Only to watch sir... I don't have everything I need to actually go out on the track yet but eventually I'll get there - are you signed up in the event?
Old 05-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Only to watch sir... I don't have everything I need to actually go out on the track yet but eventually I'll get there - are you signed up in the event?
Nope, I need a rollbar to compete...so thats the next mod for me after tires. Hopefully the next DDay I will compete...I will see ya at DDay 16 though.

BTW...your sig is hilarious

Last edited by -HyJynX-; 05-14-2004 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Nope, I need a rollbar to compete...so thats the next mod for me after tires. Hopefully the next DDay I will compete...I will see ya at DDay 16 though.

BTW...your sig is hilarious
I'll be there for sure, but I don't know how long - when me and a couple friends go, we usually get hot after an hour or so and leave (imagine the next DD in the summer - wow)

Yeah I knew you'd like the sig LOL
Old 05-14-2004, 08:13 PM

I'll be Driving this weekend at DD16 and maybe get to watch the Formula D guys pracatice this Sat.. Woo hoo High speed drifting.. Infield action..
Old 05-15-2004, 12:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by stannyboy
I'll be Driving this weekend at DD16 and maybe get to watch the Formula D guys pracatice this Sat.. Woo hoo High speed drifting.. Infield action..
I'll hopefully be taking some good pics

Quick Reply: Poll for Tein Coilovers