S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/)
-   -   Rear Brake Pad Problems (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/rear-brake-pad-problems-38746/)

positron 04-12-2007 06:08 PM

Rear Brake Pad Problems

I tried to install a new set of Brembo rotors and Hawk pads on the rear today and was not able to complete it. I got the rotors and the pads on and pushed the caliper piston back as far as it would go...went to put the caliper on and it would not fit. I checked and I have the right pads and rotors, everything came off just fine but will not go back on...WTF!!! I took the master cylinder cap off, turned the piston many, many times no deal. I'm stuck and my car is sitting on jackstands need some help!

Ayuaddict 04-12-2007 09:02 PM

did you use a c-clamp or something and push the caliper pistons in all the way?

neville610135 04-12-2007 09:05 PM

arent the pistons pushed back in with a tool? like a cube thing with different pegs on each side (as used on the stock brakes) usually the front are pushed in striaght, and the back ones require the tool.

Bryan 04-12-2007 09:15 PM

The rears do rotate into the caliper. You can use the cube tool, they make a round one as well, or you can just use needle nose pliers (pain in the ass). Try wiggling the caliper around to make it fit, I know mine took a little persuasion and wiggling around to get the piston to go over the pad.

positron 04-12-2007 10:31 PM

Yeah, I used the cube tool to move the piston as far back as it would go. If I remember correctly the piston is now flush with the rubber boot on the caliper, it protrudes maybe a couple millimeters ahead of the rubber boot...can it be moved further back because that is the only way I see it fitting over the now thicker rotor and brake pads.?

neville610135 04-13-2007 01:24 AM

the shroud (the rubber shield type thing...i think thats what its called) keeps it from rotating past that point.
you know what? take some pics. i think that will help people understand your frustration.

positron 04-13-2007 07:10 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The piston is flush with the rubber boot but the caliper will not fit over the new pad rotor combo...it's just too tight and there's no room for the wheel to move.
Attachment 23701
Attachment 23702
Attachment 23703
Attachment 23704
Attachment 23705

KFL 04-13-2007 08:41 AM

Did you try the other side same results?? If so then odds are wrong rotor or pad. 1 side maybe the caliper piston is fubared. Try the other side. Also the brake pad has a stupid dimple on it that slides into the piston's groove.

positron 04-13-2007 09:39 AM

I checked and it is the right pad. I put the front rotors on some time ago and had no problem with them. They came as a set but it is possible that they sent me the wrong rears. I don't have the boxes that they came in because it was quite some time ago but I'll check and see if any numbers are on the rotors.

positron 04-13-2007 09:59 AM

There is something etched on the side of the rotor 06 02 B AA MINTH 8 MM brembro.