Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Replacing Shock Struts, what else should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 06:32 PM

Replacing Shock Struts, what else should I do?

I have a 95 240sx with some GR-2’s with unknown springs that came with my car when I bought it. I have since put some motegi 17x8’s on it, and started to replace repair worn out things on my car (like T\C rod bushings). I want to start to upgrade the suspension, and replace it’s little bits and bushings that should be worn out over it’s 11 year life. This car is my daily driver so I don’t want a ridiculous setup, I just want to stiffen the suspension a little bit, and lower my car. So with that said, I was thinking about Tokico Blue shocks and Tanabe Grip Feeling springs. This setup seems to go lower without being too low, and stiffen up the car a bit for fun driving without being to stiff for daily driving. If this setup seems stupid let me know, from my research here and other forums it looks like this setup should do the job.

I also wanted to know if I might run into some other suspension problems when lowering the car that I should be worried about. Would I need things like Eccentric Bolts for Camber Adjustment like PDM sells "http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/suspension.html" or should I look into an eibach camber kit? What problems will I have? And what other worn out bits should I be looking to replacing while my car is having the shocks struts replaced?
Old 02-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

check the rack and pinion bushings and boots. depending on the drop amount youll might want to correct the camber unless youre ok with uneven tire wear. are the springs progressive rate? make sure to get an alignment afterwards
Old 02-19-2006, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by re037
depending on the drop amount youll might want to correct the camber unless youre ok with uneven tire wear.
If I wanted to correct the camber would I be able to do it stock, with a 1.5 in drop? or would lowering the car make it so I would not be able to get the camber right unless I had a camber kit?

are the springs progressive rate?
Damn I can't seem to find anything that says the Tanabe Grip Feelings are progressive, good catch on that, I just assumed that they were. I guess I will have to change the springs Eibach Prokit.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:02 AM
Contributing Member

Most of the springs they sell here are progressive. Ive seen a few RS*R's that are linear.

Tokico blues suck not much better than stock.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by Levi SPL S14
Tokico blues suck not much better than stock.
If that's the case, maybe I should go with the koni (yellow) shocks.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

get some kyb agx and call it a day. my car is on s techs, about 2.2~ neg camber, factory calls for 1.6 neg. the inner shoulder wears out noticeably faster
Old 02-21-2006, 08:51 PM

anytime you lower the car you need to adjust the camber. eccentric
bolt sould work unless you intend to slam the car(then you will need RUCA's $$$).
also i would upgrade the subframe bushings with polyurathane inserts or collars.
if you want more, maybe some sway bars afterward to top it all off.

peace
Old 02-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Contributing Member

the inner shoulder wears out noticeably faster
Thats what happeneds when you dont get an alingment.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:22 AM

I am surprised no one mentioned bump stops, what did you guys do about the bump stops? If you just cut them down, how much did you cut? Or did you guys find some aftermaket stuff?