Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.
View Poll Results: What should I get?
Tein S Tech w/ KYB AGX or Koni
30.00%
Whiteline Springs w/ KYB AGX or Koni
20.00%
Tein SS w/ EDFC
40.00%
Tanabe Pro SS or PRO SS Type II
10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Researched to death...are coilovers worth the extra money for daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by LandHo_S13
Dont get coilovers. If your not going to use them at track events or any other way to get them to be used, then its a waste of your money.

Why are you complaining about soft spring rates if your not going to be using the suspension for hard driving then you shouldnt care about whether the rate is to soft.

Driving school? They usually have there own cars to let you use.

Buy some springs and shocks.
The driving school I am talking about is at Carolina Motorsports Park and you drive your own car.

And I didn't say I wouldn't be doing any hard driving, I just said it wasn't going to be a dedicated track or drift car. You can have a stiff but comfortable ride without high spring rates. It just surprised me that the Flex's had such a low spring rate when they are supposed a step up from the SS's. I wasn't complaining.

Last edited by EuroG20; 12-08-2004 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

They're a step up because of full adjustability. That and you can swap out the srping and put different springs +/-2kgm off the regular set.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Contributing Member

dude stop coping out.... spings are rearted and offer only a fraction of the peformance of coilovers. oilovers are not that stiff really... gr2's are stock replacecment struts basicly with a hair higher valving... just spend a grand on KTS and get some camber plates with it and have the ability to ajust your cars ride height and ride quality..
Old 12-07-2004, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Catharsis
dude stop coping out.... spings are rearted and offer only a fraction of the peformance of coilovers. oilovers are not that stiff really... gr2's are stock replacecment struts basicly with a hair higher valving... just spend a grand on KTS and get some camber plates with it and have the ability to ajust your cars ride height and ride quality..
Did I say I was getting GR2's douchebag? NO! I said that I am getting Koni Adjustables, which are probably superior dampers to those in the KTS coilovers. Also, I've already stated that I don't care about adjusting the ride height. Other than that, I will have full adjustability with some good springs, Koni Shocks, and Camber Plates, as well as the Tension Rods and other stuff from SPL.

How can you say that springs offer only a fraction of the performance of coilovers? The only difference is that I will not be able to adjust ride height. Boo hoo. I don't like the slammed look anyway, not for street driven car. You need to learn that not everyone has $1000+ to blow on coilovers. Why spend that much on just the coilovers when they are only part of the suspension. To fully upgrade the suspension, you need swaybars, strut tower braces, tension rods, control arms, etc. With the money I save from coilovers, I will be able to buy these things to further enhance my car's handling ability, not just the ride height (which is the main reason poseur's purchase coilovers anyway, just so they can slam their car the ground to look cool, or so they think).

I don't care if you have spring rates of 12/10 on your street car. If you really do, then you are the one that is retarded. Good luck keeping dampers on your car, you'll be rebuilding them often with those spring rates on the streets.

Coilovers are not necessary for the street. On the track they are good to have, but like I said, my car is not a track car.

Last edited by EuroG20; 12-07-2004 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Coilovers are by far the single best investment you cant make for a s chassis that will improve you handeling, ride quality, look among other things next to a sticky wheel and tire package.

The reason coilovers are better is not jut the height ajustablity but double height ajustablity so you can do a wonderful thing called corner balancing with out losing any travel. plus the valving is matched to the spring rates.... damn that is sweet.

Dont get me wrong Koni makes a mean strut for sure but thier koni ajustables are still no replacement for a full threaded strut with ajustable dampning

also lets get a running tab of what you are gonna spend for just the basics here...Aprox of course...

$172 x 2 front struts...
$133 x 2 rear struts...

http://www.p-line-motorsports.com/Sh...ni/Nissan.html

Subtotal: $610

$170 Camber plates
http://www.technotoytuning.com/t3_si.../products/s13/

Sub total: $780

Tein Stechs $200

Total: $980 plus shipping

or you could get some sweet as KTS coilovers for $1070

so where is all this money you are saving for you suspention that wont do as good as a job.

as for me i do run 12/10 springs on the street, i have un them for 2 years now with hard driving hw whole time. the are the GP sports GR4, probly worth more than many of the 240s on here i have had em checked out twice ona shock dyno and they are as good as new.

so with he little bit of info i have posted here stop being an idiot and go buy some real suspention like coilvers and then every thing else.

Last edited by Catharsis; 12-07-2004 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

PS go low or dont go at all

my pos

Last edited by Catharsis; 12-09-2004 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Okay Catharsis you now my fren, good points.

Coilovers were the best investment i could get for my S13.

Ummm about your car............... better offsets!!!!! j/k.

Hey EuroG20 it seems to me that you have your mind set on spring/shock combo. So this thread is useless now. Go buy your ish.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:42 PM

I already have a spring/shock combo priced out.

Koni Dampers

$477 from GMP Performance

Eibach Sportline Springs

$202 from GMP

Front Camber Bolts

$28 from GMP

Total $750 with tax no shipping

With the extra money I'll get Whiteline Adjustable Sway Bars and have a superior suspension for less money.

I don't care about corner weighting. Like I've said like a million times. IT'S NOT A TRACK CAR!!!

Catharsis, I'm beginning to question your ability to read. I'm not expecting a reply because like LandHo said, this thread is useless now. I have my setup planned out. It will get the job done on the street for now and it doesn't cost nearly as much as my car is worth (GP Sports G4's, give me a break, those are like $2000, I sure as hell wouldn't spend that much coilovers unless it was a dedicated track car). Anyway, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Especially to the ones that were not *******s (you know who you are).

Last edited by EuroG20; 12-08-2004 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Forgetting teh camber plates man.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

dude! camber bolts! **** those suck at least get camber plates you want to be able to ajust your camber... as for the eibach springs they are soft... almost stock you will blow your new struts fast. i have driven cars with stechs, H&R, and whiteline with a a positve experince sprotlines suck.

and those wheels are just some beaters.... $100 for 4 with tires cant beat it...
Old 12-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

Damn you car is slammed. I want that ;_; Damn shock springs/shocks.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:24 PM

That's funny, I know several people that have Eibach Sportlines and none of them have blown their aftermarket dampers. And Sportlines are by no means soft; they have a higher spring rate (once pitched into a corner- progressive rate) than the S Techs you mentioned and even those are much stiffer than stock. Eibach makes some of the best springs in the world on some of the most exclusive machinery in the industry. I don't think they would be used by several F1 and WRC teams if Eibach didn't make a quality product.

Seems like you don't really know what you are talking about. Oh wait, you run 12/10's on the street. Must have knocked something loose up there.

No matter. Just found out I can get a sweet deal on some Tein Flexes with EDFC. Gonna cost me about as much as the KTS coilovers that you think are so great yet you don't even have them.

Flexes should do the job at the AutoX while keeping a relatively streetable ride. They come with camber plates too. I trust Tein alot more than I would KTS, or even GP Sports. They make a well engineered product and I've heard they have great customer service as well, in the event that something does break.

P.S. BTW 240's don't have struts in the rear. Their called shocks. Struts go up front.

Last edited by EuroG20; 12-09-2004 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by Catharsis
and those wheels are just some beaters.... $100 for 4 with tires cant beat it...
You should paint those wheels black. I like the design though. Almost like the old SSR Mesh
Old 12-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

He was only advocating the KTS coilovers since tehy're cheap, good bang for your buck. Lucky that you found some good coilovers for that cheap. hope you enjoy them. And I'm guessing teh reason he doesn't have the KTS coilovers is because he has somethign better Anyways, GL with your car and let us know how it goes.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:35 PM
Contributing Member

i know the 240 has stuts but if you are gonna be a little **** and split every hair, go for it. trust me i know, have been doing this **** for 4 years now.

i never said eibach makes crap i said hat the sportlines are to soft. and only related to what they run in WRC and F1 by the fact that they are spings and are made by eibach.

as for me not having KTS coilovers i have driven a few cars with em and they are a damn good bang for the buck. Tein HE's and Silk Road/section are also on my list. however if you want to get something sweet get some leda or maybe some Ground Control advanced designs <-----(these use eibach springs.)

just so you know also, tein flexes are far less quality than my GP sports... it seems you are a name brand kinda guy so maybe Kei Office rings a bell to you, ya thats who made the GR4s.

When i do decide to go with something better you can sure bet it wont be tein it will be Leda or the advanced designs.

as for my wheels those are my old ones... i stil ahve em bu i also have some liek it that are 15x7 0 offset and some 15x7.5 bbs mesh +15 offset

next wheels will be 17x10 +15 offset

Quick Reply: Researched to death...are coilovers worth the extra money for daily driver?