Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Shocks and struts for a HICAS

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 03:38 AM

Shocks and struts for a HICAS

This car is really startin' to **** me off. Anyways, I was wondering who makes struts for a hicas 240? I e-mailed KYB and they said that the Agx's will only fit my front, not my back and they don't make any shocks that will... so that leaves me with jack. Does anyone know where i can get shocks/ struts I need? i would like to go performance but i dont have a grand... so the nicest for the cheapest would be best. Thanks
Old 04-24-2005, 01:32 AM
Contributing Member

bump, I need to know too..
Old 04-24-2005, 06:31 AM

Hey the Agx's do fit and they fit perfectly. I know this because i put them on my car and they are great. If you want even more performance and looks throw on some tien type S lowering springs. Good Luck , found that ebay has the best prices and were very reliable and complete... buy from one of the power sellers.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

alright...so you have HICAS, and they did work on the rear, correct? because I heard that with HICAS the rear strut acually rotates when HICAS is engaged... I have Tein S.Tech springs... Just making sure I can buy agx's and they'll fit all around with no problem on HICAS.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:25 PM

They fit perfect and work great and they feel so much stiffer and cleaner. I do have hicas and it works, but the struts dont move... they fit don't worry about it they fit everywhere no problem at all
Old 04-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

I don't understand how hicas works without the strut moving... it seems like the pressure would make the strut snap.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:45 AM

hey cleveland you DO realize that the hicas puts more torque on the shock than it can handle.. its physically impossible for the hicas to be functional with non-rotating shocks. the only shock/spring combo i can find is the tokico and it even comes as a coilover in the rear.. it rotates like the stock suspension does.. if the shock didn't rotate, then the hicas would put enough pressure on it to snap the assembly or simply make the shock explode. you should take a look at your suspension again and see whats going on. and understand how hicas works if you don't already

edit: and the shocks won't make your ride stiffer as much as the springs would. the springs make your car lower, not the shocks.

Last edited by D-Bo; 04-25-2005 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:21 AM

Hey, Agx's can be set stiffer. So you are wrong. I never said the struts lower your car. So you are wrong. Hicas turns so little and all strut housings allow some turning due to the rod being able to spin and the rubber/ silicon used in the mounting. Oh yeah and the struts are Perfect nno damage at all. The reason KYB says they dont fit is because they just figured that Hicas was the same as a certain Infinity four wheel steering, but it isn't, so they work. Ask anyone else they all say that hicas does not interfere with the struts. And it doesn't. NEXT TIME YOU FLAME READ UP! I DID MY RESEARCH AND IT WORKED AND EVERYONE WHO TOLD ME YES KNOWS THAT IT WORKS! THE FACTORY STRUTS FOR A NORMAL 240 AND AN SE ARE THE SAME! Now IRB just get the struts you will see that they fit and work great, they don't snap, I know that. And they allow Hicas to work. I have it on my 93 and i have never had problems. If anything i had mmore problems before I did the change. Check on NIco and Freashalloy, the anwer really quick. but do a search to see if there is a reacent one.

Last edited by cleveland180; 04-25-2005 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:27 AM

you don't think i did my research??? i called both kyb and tokico and both companies said the kyb agx and gr2 don't fit the hicas 240s. how's that for research?? obviously i'm gonna listen to the companies that manufacture these products. i'll believe that you have them on your car but i don't understand how that physically works. and hicas originated with nissan, not infinity.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:24 AM

I called them too, but many of the members of this fine forum told me that they thought it would fit and that the construction of the HIcas Rear end would not affect the strut choice. Nissan and Infinity both have cars with rear wheel steering. Kyb never tried to even look at the hicas set up they assumed it was something else. Go take a look at a HICAS rear strut and a normal 240sx strut... THey are the same! It fits it works they are great ...end of story. I don't mean to sound like I know it all but of hte things I do know It is that KYB AGX struts fit on my 1993 240sx se with hicas enabled. I will post pics or email them if you need further reassuring. D7lopez@sbcglobal.net if you want pics email and request them , but do it quick I am trading the car in 5 days.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:16 AM

well if they're working for you then i'll take your word for it..
Old 04-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

well i used to have a HICAS 240, i bought it as a parts car, but ended up just selling it.. and from what i understand, the strut doenst move very much... d-bo knows his stuff pretty well, but if im not mistaken, you can rotate a strut... im not 100% on this, but when replacing the rear suspension on my 240 (non hicas) putting the nut on the rod was a ***** because the rod can rotate freely... so i dont see why a strut cant rotate... just my 2 cents... maybe im wrong... hell maybe im right... but eventually this will end up with us all having a better understanding of the greater powers (nissan's R&D lol)
Old 04-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, well we figured it out... they do work...all struts work... they're all the same for all s13 240. so yeah.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:05 AM
Contributing Member

HICAS is gay and should be eliminated.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

haha, why? I love it. the can handles so nicely, it's not like I go out and drift my car everyday, I would eliminate it if I were to do that, but I wanted an LSD and I didn't have much of a choice... besides, I drive around a lot.. it's fun to take corners and such, it just hugs the road.

Last edited by lrb_2000; 04-29-2005 at 03:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Shocks and struts for a HICAS