Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Smoooooooth Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Smoooooooth Suspension

hey I was wondering,

Hypothetically, if you were to put the same spring/shock combination of a Lexus on your 240, would the ride be as smooth as a Lexus? I mean if you were to tune it right too to take in account of weight differences. Would there be anything else you'd have to do?
Old 06-04-2005, 09:03 PM

i doubt they'll fit.

How would you tune stock spring and shocks?
Old 06-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

I'm just saying if you somehow managed to get them to fit while also having the spring and dampening rate constructed to take into account weight differences.. i.e. fully customized for a 240 but exact same materials
Old 06-05-2005, 02:54 PM

moved to "Suspension"
Old 06-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by CowboyTurbo
I'm just saying if you somehow managed to get them to fit while also having the spring and dampening rate constructed to take into account weight differences.. i.e. fully customized for a 240 but exact same materials
then it's not a Lexus suspension anymore. If you change anything (spring rate, valving) on the Lexus parts, then it's pointless because you're not working with a Lexus setup anymore.

That's like saying, "what if I put a Honda sized shift **** on my S14, same material etc. but I took into account the different shaft thread and size and made it to Nissan S14 specs".
Old 06-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

ok, let me rephrase my question cuz I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm asking or I'm not asking it right. Now, the question is: What would it take to make the ride in a 240 as smooth a lexus? I'm just talking about the ride in terms of road vibration~ I'm not talking about handling.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by CowboyTurbo
ok, let me rephrase my question cuz I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm asking or I'm not asking it right. Now, the question is: What would it take to make the ride in a 240 as smooth a lexus? I'm just talking about the ride in terms of road vibration~ I'm not talking about handling.
a lot more than shocks and springs. there's sound deadening, suspension design, fat profile tires, etc.

You want a Lexus ride, buy a Lexus. 240sx's aren't in the same league, bro
Old 06-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

look, I never said I wanted a Lexus ride. So please try not to make any assumptions as such, bro I said "hypothetically" in my first post, so this is just a question that I was wondering about~ that's it, nothing else is implied or implicit.
I just wanted to know what it is that makes a Lexus ride so smooth and if it was possible to replicate it on a 240 (this does not imply MY 240) Also, I'm talking strictly about ride quality down the road, on the highway, going over potholes 'n' the like. So unless sound deadening has some vibration absorbing qualities outside of noise absorption I don't see why it has to do with the ride quality (sorry if I'm wrong, but that's news to me) I'm going to go out on a limb here, but don't IS300's have McPherson suspension setup up front and multi-link in the back just like our 240's? Yes I understand that different components used in the same suspension design yields different results, but therein lies my question. What exactly is it in a Lexus suspension that makes the ride so smooth? My guess was that the spring/shock combination plays a big role in the whole scheme of things, but what else? As for fat profile tires I'm pretty sure you should be able to figure out a way to put 'em on a 240...

Last edited by CowboyTurbo; 06-05-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

don't get offended - I wasn't ROFL

...shock valving and spring rate have a lot to do with it... and yes - sound deadening helps too. There's also a lot of other types of technology used. I'm sure Lexus spent millions of dollars on R&D to get their cars super silent... stuff like specially filled motor mounts, speficic durometer suspension bushings, liquid filled joints, specific chassis welding techniques... and so on and so on.

Related - Mercedes on their S-Class sedans even used dual pane side glass filled with (I forgot) gas. True - this would be first related to sound deadening, not ride - but think about this: sound waves produce vibration also.

Another thing to consider is the curb weight of these cars. A lot of the extra heft is due to all the materials and components they choose to use when building a quiet machine. The added weight also in a way absorbs some unwanted chassis movement. Picture a super lightweight car hitting a speed bump at 50mph compared to a super heavy car doing the same thing.

=)
Old 06-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

ok, thanks for the info l2aine. In my limited knowledge I was thinking that the shock and spring combination would be mainly responsible for the difference. I hadn't taken into account the amount of work and research these companies employ specifically in making it such a smooth ride... no offense taken, just frustrated that I wasn't asking my question right and not getting the right answer.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

np prob bro everyone starts newb. I know I did (a lot of people don't want to admit it though and end up someday making an *** out of themselves ROFL)
Old 06-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

if you want a smooth ride go buy a caddie...
Old 06-06-2005, 12:41 AM
Contributing Member

^ with some 100 spoke daytons!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

I LIKE it ROUGH.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

get some airbags!

Quick Reply: Smoooooooth Suspension