Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Which springs to choose!??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 02:01 PM

Which springs to choose!??

I know this type of discussion has been talked about millions and millions of times but i have to ask it again for clearance. I've searched many times but i still cant come up with a solution.

I'am trying to decided between eibach pro-kit, tein s tech, or the rsr race spring. I'am going with KYB AGX struts for sure, but i read somewhere that the rsr springs will blow the struts. This cars job is mainly to be a daily driver but every so weekend it will be taken to the track. So it has to be within reason of comfort and yet perform well.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:10 PM

Tein s tech seems to be the #1 choice. But I went with Sportlines.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

I'd just go with the s-techs....
Old 06-27-2005, 07:10 PM

spring rates should play a major role in you choosing springs.
RSR springs are 5F/4.2R
Tein S-tech are 3.8F/3.5R
i have never seen spring rates for eibach springs.

if you want the RSR springs, get shocks with stiffer valving and they wont blow.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:11 PM

Would tokico d specs work good with the rsr springs?
Old 06-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Just get you a set of cheap coilovers, it's nearly the same amount...I think you'll be happier that way...GC Coilovers/KYB AGX combo, thats a mediocre setup, that isn't very expensive, and you can adjust ride height. I ask people time and time again...why springs?

No offense to those of you who have springs, I guess I enjoy adjustability and versatility a bit much.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Initial Daniel Just get you a set of cheap coilovers, it's nearly the same amount...I think you'll be happier that way...GC Coilovers/KYB AGX combo, thats a mediocre setup, that isn't very expensive, and you can adjust ride height. I ask people time and time again...why springs?
Yea i was gona say that but i figured id just stick to what u had listed, but yea coilovers are definatley worth it, i was gona buy springs too but i bought coilovers and im so glad that i paid the extra money....
Old 06-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I remember that thread. It had informed me about the coilovers I am deciding on getting...bwahaha.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:57 PM

I have the s.techs right now, and like the ride quality, however, for hard cornering and the auto-x track, the spring rate is too light for me. I am going to get the RS*R race springs, and a set of tokico illumina struts to solve my problem. That will give you generous dampening adjustment with a somewhat decent spring rate for the street/minor track use, and save a few hundred bucks instead of getting coilovers. The only thing you lose is ride height adjustment....but really, who changes their ride height after they put coilovers in
Old 06-28-2005, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by revolutionz_s13
I have the s.techs right now, and like the ride quality, however, for hard cornering and the auto-x track, the spring rate is too light for me. I am going to get the RS*R race springs, and a set of tokico illumina struts to solve my problem. That will give you generous dampening adjustment with a somewhat decent spring rate for the street/minor track use, and save a few hundred bucks instead of getting coilovers. The only thing you lose is ride height adjustment....but really, who changes their ride height after they put coilovers in
i think its more about setting in your preferred ride height when you put them on. can't really do that with shock/spring combo.
also take into consideration that the dampers are specifically valved for the springs that are on them making them a perfect match for eachother.

AGX+springs will cost somewhere in the area of $600+shipping (just taking a guess)
MR coils (32way dampening 4"ride adjustment, upper pillowball mounts) $900shipped

if you have the spare cash, or time to save up the rest, i'd say get the coils. just my $.02
Old 06-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

lol...everytime somebody asks about spring/dampers...we always tell them to get coilovers...but yea KYB AGX/Stechs seems like the popular setup...
Old 06-28-2005, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by ConceptS14
i think its more about setting in your preferred ride height when you put them on. can't really do that with shock/spring combo.
also take into consideration that the dampers are specifically valved for the springs that are on them making them a perfect match for eachother.

AGX+springs will cost somewhere in the area of $600+shipping (just taking a guess)
MR coils (32way dampening 4"ride adjustment, upper pillowball mounts) $900shipped

if you have the spare cash, or time to save up the rest, i'd say get the coils. just my $.02
Right...however, if you are going to be using full coilovers for daily driver with mild track use, alot of people find coilovers too stiff. Also, granted the valving in coilovers is designed specifically for those springs, but struts like AGX or the illumina's are designed with valving for a lowered vehicle, plus the added benefit of setting the stiffness of the ride yourself, without the harshness of a high spring rate. Now don't get me wrong, coilovers are great, and beat the **** out of spring/shock combo's...but for daily driving and occasional track use like he wants from his suspension, I would personally save the $300 from getting coilovers, but that's just me.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Ayuaddict
lol...everytime somebody asks about spring/dampers...we always tell them to get coilovers...but yea KYB AGX/Stechs seems like the popular setup...
i was not telling him to get anything.
it's his car, i was merely helping him make an informed decision.

Right...however, if you are going to be using full coilovers for daily driver with mild track use, alot of people find coilovers too stiff. Also, granted the valving in coilovers is designed specifically for those springs, but struts like AGX or the illumina's are designed with valving for a lowered vehicle, plus the added benefit of setting the stiffness of the ride yourself, without the harshness of a high spring rate. Now don't get me wrong, coilovers are great, and beat the **** out of spring/shock combo's...but for daily driving and occasional track use like he wants from his suspension, I would personally save the $300 from getting coilovers, but that's just me.
also right. cept for a minor detail.
valving is for the spring rate, while the shortened stroke length is for the lowering.

Clearalbino: it seems like you need to do some more research before buying anything.
apparently, you did not take into account the spring rates of each of the different sets of springs.
also, why have you already decided on the AGX?
it kind of seems like you threw down the names of popular brands.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

1. Buy the MR's.
2. Lower to ur liking for height.
3. Set dampening rate on uber soft.
4. <---- U being happy u went with the coilovers.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Actually AGX's aren't designed for lowered vehicles. They can handle the spring rates, but if you try to get your warrenty if they blow(from being too low) the manufacturer won't cover it. :/

Daily driving, you probably won't even NOTICE the difference between coilovers/shocks vs stock springs/shocks and just springs/shocks. Infact, you said that you wanted something that you could use a little more for the track...and so you're getting new springs...

...now I'm not trying to hate, but if you got a nice set of coilovers the first place, wouldn't it have SAVED you money, or been about the same? It's up to you though, boss.

As for the thread starter...GET COILOVERS, THEY'RE BETTER, kthxbye.

...but seriously...consider it.

...seriously.

Quick Reply: Which springs to choose!??