Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

tech day(s) after thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 12:42 AM
Contributing Member

tech day(s) after thoughts

Heres what I broke
DR=DriveR side
PR=PassingeR side

DR Tension rod
DR tie rod
PR raidator support ( just bent under sitll good :-P)
DR of the subframe cross member
DR Lower Control Arm

Heres what I installed
SPL Tension rods
Tein Tie rods
Tanabae Grip feeling springs (F1.5~ R1.1~)
Hot shot header
JDM PR lower controll arm

although the tension rods and tie rods and suspension was pritty strait forward i didnt really prep befor i started. and by prep meaning getting the tie rod boots befor i started.

Removing the Tension rods aka TC rods wasnt all to dificult, except when its my car one of the bolts decides to lock up and not move whats so ever. Make sure when you do it, know some one with air compressed power tools or regular old power tools. Thankfully TurboDanTheMan aka 87comarodan stoped by and dropped off his air tools WITH air compressor. it took him 2 days of using different saws power saws air saws to get my freaking tc rod bolt out 2 DAYS!. Installing the SPL Tension rods was a snap

Removing the Tie rods wasnt much of a problem, it was installing the freaking tie rod boots, thats freaking lame. Ok so my boots are pritty jacked so it was easy for me to geto the tie rod ends. The DR tie rod was easy to take off for some reason, the PR was pritty hard because of that one piece i didnt know i had to remove first :-p. but both tie rods came out pritty easily, not a hassel compaird to the tc rod bolt. Now since my tie rod was bent I couldnt make the tein tie rods the same length. although i could of for the PR. but in the end i had stupid amount of toe out and no idea how to fix it, i just went to a local GoodYear and paid 42 bucks for an alianment pritty freaking fast and they worrenty the work they do. the bad part about the aliangment was that I did it after I installed the springs (only makes sence to do it after your done installing crap) and there equipment isnt made for that, so i had to take off the front bumper and fenders inorder for them to be able to do it.

While I was at Speedalliance ordering parts for this project aka manditory upgrades. I decided hey why not get an exhaust as well or even springs. So I asked them what was a spring set up thats pritty good and still in my budget. And the guy there, Warren G uNIT!~ lol suggested the Tanabae's because of other customers that perchased them and what there reaction was. I was stoked to hear about the price, but i didnt like the sound of the drop. 1.5 in the front (which realisticly turned into 1.6..7ish) and 1 flat in the rear (which again turned into a 1.2..3ish) I kinda wanted a 2ish drop front and back but i was like wth ill just save up for JiC magics. Well anyways we installed the springs which was pritty easy with the help of a spring compressor and a nice front lawn that was surrounded by tree's to prevent the spring from killing some one. Compressing the springs was kindof ockward because I had gotten the wrong kind of spring compressor but none theless it got done. And after the installation was done, the drop was alot more then what I expected and it just makes it look MEAN.. even with all the dents and the primer on the bumper. its just looks like a beast ready to kick ***.. or maybe i was really happy I was finished and had my car back.

The hotshot header isnt installed yet due to my inability to take out the sensors..

The Jay Di ehM PR lower control arm (our driver side) was pritty simple to install since I was installing the the tie rod tension rod anti swaybar linkage and thie likes.. and i picked it up from a friend near by that has a ca18 clip in his garage and didnt need it and was freaking stupidly smart enough to keep it just incase one of his friend IE me, needed it.

The subframe crossmember will be installed when I install a manual transmission... which reminds me

HEY JYNX Im going to driftday in june you will see video's from that... but in the mean time i have to learn how to drive again since i been driving my friends civic dx and my moms 3 SPEED AUTOMATIC GEO METRO 4 DOOR LSI and driving my car still scares me.. but tonight I faced my fears and drove down the 67's windys and at maybe 50% of my capabilty.maybe befor drift day ill go upto were i crashed and beat that RX7 again... mr.ohhicantgopast6.5krpm I HEARD YOU HIT REV LIMITER
Old 05-21-2004, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like you have a hreat week lol

If I get my rollcage in by the next DDay...I will probably compete, but its a hour drive just to get there =/
Old 05-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Contributing Member

boohoo im driving up from san diego.. and thats like... 3ish hours...

although if i do i might stop at my cuzins house in pasadena.. or stop at a certian girls house in LB..hmm.... yeah long beach for me...