Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

for those who have a "thump" in the rear...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 05:11 PM

Lightbulb for those who have a "thump" in the rear...

Just wanted to address a problem that seems to be common amoung rear wheel drive nissan owners. Anyone have a "thump" coming from the rear? Well I have found the solution, and tackle another issue at the same time. The rear subframe, a.k.a. k-member, has bushings on each of the four corners. There are many cons to this design, in my opinion. The first dealing with the very reason I started this thread. When those bushings wear out it allows that rear sub frame to shift up and down creating that horrible clunk in the rear. Well Kazama offers rear subframe spacers that appeared to me would eliminate the flexable bushings for the most part. Well they did, because I just installed them tonight. The other advantage of using these spacers is that it stiffins the rear suspension a good bit. I noticed that under high speeds on a curvy road the rear seemed to sag a little. Well not really anymore. It does make the ride a little siffer than usual, but it doesn' make it really hard. I could hardly notice a difference. Anyone experiencing the clunk, it is a must. I would recommend them to people who are looking to stiffin up the suspension. This offers a good alternative to replacing the rear sub frame, considering there is no replacement bushing offered, just a new subframe. Compair the cost...:
spacers= $140 and 10min. of work
or
new frame= $550+ and at least 3/4 of a work day.

Do the math!

Dinner is ready so had to make this post quick. Any questions let me know. The ten minutes of install includes the use of a lift. I would not recomend doing this on your back. Will take a little longer, and not nearly as safe or convenient.

Sean

Last edited by prjkt240; 03-01-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:48 PM

i've heard of a lot of people with this problem... good info man.

just for other peoples refrence, where did you get these spacers?
Old 03-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Contributing Member

you can get those spacers from greg dupree for 50 something bucks. plenty of peple make copies of those subframe spacers. ctune is one of them.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:23 PM
Contributing Member

Or... you can get an S15 subframe :-D
Old 03-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

what do you have to do to replace these? i have the same problem and i really want to fix it, i notice it a lot when i shift, is this the same problem?
Old 03-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

When you shift? You must be shifting really crappy if you get wheel hop while shifting. It usually occurs under heavy load. So it's pro not your problem. I have major wheel hop while doing donuts and stuff, but not while shifting.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

agreed. i dont get it under normal shifting, and sometimes i dont under heavy, but strange because some of my friends who drives my car get the thump under normal shifting haha
Old 03-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ArticDragon
When you shift? You must be shifting really crappy if you get wheel hop while shifting. It usually occurs under heavy load. So it's pro not your problem. I have major wheel hop while doing donuts and stuff, but not while shifting.
haha, okay. So in normal driving, i'm moving, clutch in to shift (all the weight transfers forward), Shift gears, release clutch, then thump. so are you saying that when you shift and release the clutch and start moving again, the rear doesn't expierence load? This can happen when i shift from first to second at 2,500-3,000 rpms, how can get wheel hop going that slow? It tends to not thump at higher RPM's, which is strange from what your telling me. What else could be making that noise? Diff. needs replacement?
Old 03-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

I didn't say there was no load. There just isn't enough load the way I see it. The shift in weight from shifting doesnt compare to the weight transfer it experiences while doing donuts and taking hard corners.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ArticDragon
I didn't say there was no load. There just isn't enough load the way I see it. The shift in weight from shifting doesnt compare to the weight transfer it experiences while doing donuts and taking hard corners.
correction, if your subframe bushings are toast, then you will hear the noise even if you baby shift it
Old 03-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks, btw when are we going to see the legendary raine throw down the times at some other tracks?
Old 03-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by JDMxDrift
Thanks, btw when are we going to see the legendary raine throw down the times at some other tracks?
You're talking GT4 right? Right now some of the Pirates are addicted to Tsukuba because of it's notoriety for being the "Time Attack" special course... that's why I've been on it so much lately
Old 03-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

sweet, GT4 is the best game ever created. I couldn't resist buying the HKS S15 and the Blitz four door skyline. I have no idea what i'm going to use them for, just gotta have them. Are there any other D1 cars? I also have the Falken FC but i don't know if there are any more.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:41 PM

i just love the fact that each turn i take or bump i hit i hear a big "clank" from all sides of the car and how when i back out of my garage i find pieces of bushings on the floor or hell a whole bushing cut off... .*SIGHS*
Old 04-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

thanks for the info im having this same problem what tools will i need for this job??
thanks

Quick Reply: for those who have a "thump" in the rear...