Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Tie Rod Boot Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Tie Rod Boot Question

Has anyone replaced their own tie rod boots? For those who are lost, it's the rubber covers on the inner end of the steering tie rod. I got a new pair but I'm iffy on the install because I don't want to mess up the alignment, don't know if I need any special tools, etc. I figured I could mark the tie rod adjustments so I could disassemble then reassemble back to how it was, but I'm not sure if that can actually be done. Your thoughts?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:51 AM

yes it can be done. just be sure to mark the bolt to tie rod with two alignment marks. then mark the threaded side so that you can turn it back to the exact spot it was before the disassembly. when its back together it should line up. just be sure not to turn the threaded side. because then it will throw you off.
i just ended up locking a pair of vise grips on it and making sure it didnt move. but to answer your question, it can be done. and its fairly simple.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by TWAN
yes it can be done. just be sure to mark the bolt to tie rod with two alignment marks. then mark the threaded side so that you can turn it back to the exact spot it was before the disassembly. when its back together it should line up. just be sure not to turn the threaded side. because then it will throw you off.
i just ended up locking a pair of vise grips on it and making sure it didnt move. but to answer your question, it can be done. and its fairly simple.
cool thanks... now if I can only get away from the fun I'm having driving ni the rain