Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

400hp!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 03:25 AM

get his *** rude!
Old 12-23-2002, 02:00 AM
Contributing Member

if he want's it he can take measures to recieve what i have to offer.
but i highly doubt that him and his keyboard are really that gully.

people love to type a good game but are actually just selling Wolf Tickets.
there really is no point in trying to insult somebody on a personal level online.

real-life fists are what matters most to me. respect and strength are things i value.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

i prefer to settle disputes with a hardcore game of one on one
Old 12-24-2002, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Why the hell did everyone jum on DCT for his post. He wasn't even talking sh#t and didn;t say anything factually untrue.

You all need to relax.

And I love that "real life power is what I'm about - not typing smack"... while the author is playing internet toughguy himself... pretty damned hypocritical.

400hp at the wheels from a 2.0 is a pretty unrealistic goal if you need any measure of reliability or streetability.

It can be done. It is expensive, and it will break things. You will have a laggy motor that will suck *** in traffic, and will suck in general until the oversized turbo spools up.

-Justin
www.saltgod.org
Old 12-24-2002, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

that's why i choose to go with the larger displacement engine with more HP capability.

*** that kid anyway
Old 12-24-2002, 11:34 PM

settling disputes

the way I do it is to lay down a sturdy ply dropcloth and legwrestle my opponent on it while the both of us are doused in crisco oil wearing leopardskin print loin cloths........

SR-you dont need an oversized turbo and as such it will not lag in traffic, but you will break things.
KA- what a piece of sh-it this thing is, i dont know its capability at all.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:39 PM

HEY, HEY it does not take an arm and a leg to make 400hp. Just a little know how. Which i see alot of people dont have. Some ppl as I have seen know how but dont know they know because they listen to too much bench racing ***t and have no real seat of the pants experience.
I have from my experience seen det motors with no exotic internal mods (no special pistons, rods, or cams) make 392rwhp with ease, So this must be over 400hp at the flywheel.
All this car had was a JWT tuned ecu, upgrade MAF a upgrade turbo + tubular manifold and FMIC, 3"downpipe, 3" exhaust system, 720cc injectors, fuel pump and regulator and even a OEM headgasket. I really dont even subscribe to the JWT philosophy but I saw it work.
1)The FMIC was an Isuzu NPR type, In my opinion works but could use a more efficient unit. Gains to be had there there.
2)The throttle body could also be upgraded from stock to increase flow. More gains to be had there.

It really doesnt cost $8500.00 to get 400bhp. Because he never spent that much. His car is driven everyday to work at 7psi and has no drivability or reliability problem. And will kick your *** on saturday night on 22psi. Some information to add here : The T3/T4 hybrid turbo was created to minimize or eliminate this lag problem you keep harping about. The good thing about this is that you can create whatever combination that best suits your needs.
SO BLAH,BLAH,BLAH,BLAH ALL YU WANT
Old 12-26-2002, 03:45 PM

DCT you live in miami and should know a couple DET and KA that run in that HP range. If not link me up so I can give you some first hand education.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

thats whats up
Old 12-27-2002, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

I'm just running a quick tally on the parts you mentioned in this post...

SR20DET $2500
720cc injectors ~ $400
Cobra MAF - $200
JWT ECU - $700
Tubular Manifold - Anywhere from $400 - $1000
T3/4 - $1000
Downpipe - $100-$200
Exhaust $400-$600
FMIC/Plumbing $200 (assuming junkyard unit)
Fuel pump/regulator $200
ICan we also assum boost controller? $400

From my quick tally, we're at $6500 - $7400 without paying a dime for labor. Not terribly far from $8500. When you buy it piece by piece it doesn't seem like as much money, but it does add up.

Are you sure you're alking about an Sr20DET? 7psi seems a little low. Also, a T3/4 is an oversized turbo for a 2.0 motor. It's just about right for a turbo'd KA. And can we assume that the 392 at the wheels was at 22psi? 400hp tends to be the level where the weaknesses in the SR head show themselves, so I wouldn't make too much of a habit hanging out at that boost level unless until the head is given a little attention.

-Justin

Originally posted by DET_JUICE
HEY, HEY it does not take an arm and a leg to make 400hp. Just a little know how. Which i see alot of people dont have. Some ppl as I have seen know how but dont know they know because they listen to too much bench racing ***t and have no real seat of the pants experience.
I have from my experience seen det motors with no exotic internal mods (no special pistons, rods, or cams) make 392rwhp with ease, So this must be over 400hp at the flywheel.
All this car had was a JWT tuned ecu, upgrade MAF a upgrade turbo + tubular manifold and FMIC, 3"downpipe, 3" exhaust system, 720cc injectors, fuel pump and regulator and even a OEM headgasket. I really dont even subscribe to the JWT philosophy but I saw it work.
1)The FMIC was an Isuzu NPR type, In my opinion works but could use a more efficient unit. Gains to be had there there.
2)The throttle body could also be upgraded from stock to increase flow. More gains to be had there.

It really doesnt cost $8500.00 to get 400bhp. Because he never spent that much. His car is driven everyday to work at 7psi and has no drivability or reliability problem. And will kick your *** on saturday night on 22psi. Some information to add here : The T3/T4 hybrid turbo was created to minimize or eliminate this lag problem you keep harping about. The good thing about this is that you can create whatever combination that best suits your needs.
SO BLAH,BLAH,BLAH,BLAH ALL YU WANT
Old 12-27-2002, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

it's a good thing most of know know where we can find cheap stuff or used parts....
thank god for ebay!!
i know when i finally get my motor in i'll be using a multi-stage boost controller to help combat wheel spin.. then again i don't really drag race on a competitive note.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

It can be done for less, but custom ECU tuning from JWT is not exactly an indicator of a bargain basement approach to upgrading.

And the prices I said overlooked a lot of miscellaneous things that also boost the price. I spent over $5000 on my car in the past year wihtout even realizing it. All little parts, I don't think any single purchase was over $300 - and I haven't done any major upgrades yet.... and that price is not counting gas / oil changes / fluids and stuff of that sort.

Before I get attacked for spending more than I needed to, I bought used where available, and shopped extensively for the best deal on the parts I bought new.

-Justin
Old 12-27-2002, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

yeah Just.
you hit that one right.. it's all the little **** that really adds up.
lost or broken,last minute stuff.
but like that one guy said..(i forgot your name) Thoraxe i think(sorry) you kinda have to have an ultimate goal when it comes to building your car.
me..i'm just tryin to build the "ultimate Street Car"
in a regular kinda way.
but besides the Hard parts there are tons of little things you can do to make a quick car. most of which are more of a planning thing then money thing.
guys wana make a million HP but they can't use it. or optimize it.

so you can have a car with 300hp that's as fast an a car with 400hp.......
Old 12-27-2002, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

That's the truth!

I can only imagine the bills I could rack up trying to fill in the blanks of an RB25DET swap. (good luck)

That money is just the upgrades that I could think of off the top of my head. I save all my car related receipts and I have a shoebox full (I have to hold the lid on with an elastic). I'm somewhat dreading the total when I finally get around to adding them up.

Just seems like a lot of people add up the costs of the 3-4 main components of a swap or turbo project and believe that should be the final tally for the project.

Unfortunately, it always costs morethat you expect, and there is always something you don't know you need until you're under the car and see where that hose/clamp/bracket/whatever was supposed to go.

I will probably be starting a turbo project this year, and I'm expecting it to cost ~$5k. Just have a little more suspension work to do first then I can start with that.

-Justin
www.saltgod.org
Old 12-28-2002, 04:03 AM
Contributing Member

i consider myself lucky when i say i'm not in a price "bracket"
i love my car and will never get half of the money back that i've already spent on it.
why the *** do we spend so much money on our cars anyway?????????
i've already got my R33 clip so that's the biggest part. so-far....
so all the little things like the damn hose or brackets are expected extras.(great)
as long as i find em before they find me!
i'd never say i want a certian amount of HP because i'll take as much as i can afford i'll work with what i have and try to make an insanely(sp) fast car.

that's it.... i wana chase down and float on cars on the freeways around the US
HP/TQ/suspension/safety

but it'll be a sick car.

Quick Reply: 400hp!