Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

Attempting a twin turbo SR20DET..

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by s13zilvia
of course it would be better but you want qucik spoole time witha twin turbo setup and u dont wanna go to because the motor wont be able to handle it the purpose of tt is to have two smaller turbos but it all depends on what u wanna do t25's are more than enough for an sr20 det if they make a z move out an sr would be no problem,i wouldnt go bigger than that i would just egt boltons fuel dynotuned and all that ish
True, T25s would be just enough, but if u wanna go all out u can always upgrade one of the turbos and keep a T25. Dontcha think the T25 will spool quickly then the bigger turbo will kick in later and give u even extra boost.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

of course it would be better but you want qucik spoole time witha twin turbo setup and u dont wanna go to because the motor wont be able to handle it the purpose of tt is to have two smaller turbos but it all depends on what u wanna do t25's are more than enough for an sr20 det if they make a z move out an sr would be no problem,i wouldnt go bigger than that i would just egt boltons fuel dynotuned and all that ish
True, T25s would be just enough, but if u wanna go all out u can always upgrade one of the turbos and keep a T25. Dontcha think the T25 will spool quickly then the bigger turbo will kick in later and give u even extra boost.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:28 PM

yes then you would have the best of both worlds nice mid end and highend,i have heard of this setup but have yet to see it
Old 11-04-2003, 12:29 AM
Contributing Member

yes then you would have the best of both worlds nice mid end and highend,i have heard of this setup but have yet to see it
Same here i have yet to see it..but im sure someone has done it. If i had the money hell id do it!
Old 11-09-2003, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

What makes this setup very difficult is the fact that we are LHD. You have to contend with the brake booster and the steering rack. If you were planning on doing this, I would consider doing a RHD conversion also, otherwise good luck finding the space to perform this upgrade.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:03 AM

Im not sure of this but lets say you have a t25 as one of the turbos and a much bigger turgo to pull up top, how does the t25 shut off when the bigger one takes over?
if the t25 pulls low end and big one pulls top end, without shutting off the t25 i think it wouldnt last too long.
not sure though.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:21 AM

(FROM Doba240)----

"240SX+SR20-RICE=*****"

??? ???
Old 11-10-2003, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Monkey Force
(FROM Doba240)----

"240SX+SR20-RICE=*****"

??? ???
methinks what he's saying is if u pimpin a 240 w/an sr and w/o rice, u gets laid...
Old 11-10-2003, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by ridesnowx4
twin turboing an SR looks cool and all but you can mostlikely pull more power out of a bigger single turbo!
finally somebody with some sense Hi

dont' think you'll be making twice the power with a TWIN turbo...
Old 11-10-2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Sil40_Mayhem
methinks what he's saying is if u pimpin a 240 w/an sr and w/o rice, u gets laid...
WORD!!!
one smart one.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by Barney_240
finally somebody with some sense Hi

dont' think you'll be making twice the power with a TWIN turbo...
we never said it wuldnt and alot of people on this site "have sense"
Old 11-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Doba's240
Im not sure of this but lets say you have a t25 as one of the turbos and a much bigger turgo to pull up top, how does the t25 shut off when the bigger one takes over?
if the t25 pulls low end and big one pulls top end, without shutting off the t25 i think it wouldnt last too long.
not sure though.
Doba hit another point that I forgot to mention. Good point man. Trying to switch from a smaller turbo, to the larger of the 2 would be very tricky. It would have to require somehow using an internal wastegate that connected to both the turbo's, so when say 7lbs was reached and closed the T25, the larger turbo would open up just at the right moment to take over the workload.

Then you run into the problem of the exhaust manifold. How are you going to put 2 turbo's on a 4 cyl.'s manifold? So what, one turbo sits on a seperate 2 runner mani while the other turbo occupies the other 2? You may be able to produce enough exhaust gases with say an inline 6, but for the SR with its 2 liter displacement? Theres simply not enough exhaust to go around with a 4 cyl. Now your devoting half the engine to each turbo, in effect robbing each turbo of the exhaust gases it needs to create the power in the first place. Mind you this is in regards to the smaller/larger combo I just explained before. Maybe a T25 for each, but try and use a larger turbo to take over the work with only 2 cyl. is not really effective.

Last edited by Silviaspeed; 11-10-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

i can honestly say that i dig intelligent, technical "debates" (for lack of a better word). it really drops the insight. i, too, was wondering about how a twin sequential turbo setup on a 4 cyl would work out. not that i have any intentions of doing so (nor am i saying it's practical), but it's still interesting, nonetheless. now, i think Silviaspeed brought up an interesting point. would two cylinders per turbo be enough (especially for a larger unit)? or would it be feasible to have some sort of Y connection off of a single turbo manifold to both turbos? maybe somehow after the T25 reaches full boost, close off exhaust flow to it and divert it to the larger turbo? if so, how would that be accomplished and controlled so that there would be a smooth transition of the load from one turbo to the other without lag (if that's even possible)? again, i'm not looking at this from a practical point of view or anything. i do agree that the best way for more power is a bigger (single) turbo. just wondering what can be (for sake of argument and experimentation)...
Old 11-11-2003, 01:56 PM

sil40 is right, you should just get a (single) big ballbearing turbo upgrade!! ( itll make things less complicated and more easier )
Old 11-18-2003, 12:02 AM
j-z

why in the hell would you wanna tt a motor with such small displacement. you can very well do it but its just a waist of time and money. just have all the exhaust gas spin one big one. simple setup with easy power. spool time also depends on the specs of the turbo itself. you have to determine what you want in order to pick the turbo thats right for you.

Quick Reply: Attempting a twin turbo SR20DET..