Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

big nice happy question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by ftrs13
if you want to see one, just mock it up yourself!!!
Would do that but not too much time on my hands and I am poor, I mean real poor. College student with no job kind of poor, because that is what I am.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by adavib
turbos are worse for your motor because they force extremely hot exhaust air into the motor, as where superchargers run of the crank pulley and force normal outside air in at a constant boost whereas the turbos only kick in starting at about 3000 rpms or so, everyone is different.
As was stated, turbos only use the exhaust as a force to spin the compressor turbine, then the exhaust gases are expelled through the exhause system. They are never combined with fresh intake air. Also as stated, the compressor of a turbo does increase the temperature of the intake air, but not to the levels of heat associated with exhaust gases. Any turbocharged engine in a 240sx (the KA24DE in this case) is mounted longitudinally and it is extremely easy to place an efficient front-mount intercooler to cool down the intake air.

Many superchargers mount on a modified intake manifold, meaning the air passes directly into the engine from the compressor, making it difficult to mount an intercooler and transferring all that heat (from compression) to the engine via the intake air. Now, with a longitudinal engine you can mount a supercharger on the exhaust side of the engine (easier than with a transversely-mounted engine) and can thus have an intercooler in place, just like a turbo'd engine.

So there, we've established that (in principle) both superchargers and turbochargers can be mounted with an intercooler for maximum performance/least heat impact under the hood. The main difference now is how they deliver the boost. (There are MANY references on this subject!) Short version: Superchargers build boost linearly with respect to RPMs, with maximum boost at redline. This gives a linear throttle response and power in the top end.

The difference with turbos is, you can have a one that makes power in the low end, or in the high end, or if you want to pay the price, one that does both (newer high tech turbos). Its all in the sizing of the turbo, and there are MANY options here. Superchargers don't have so many options, but because of the linear boost exact sizing is not quite as important.

Now compare the extras in both systems. Superchargers need a mounting bracket, proper alignment for the pulley, intercooler/piping, and engine management. For decent performance, a feature that allows the supercharger pulley to be bypassed at low RPMs is also built into some products (eg. Jackson Racing). You don't really need a blow-off valve because the compressor is tied to the engine speed and not spinning nearly as fast as a turbocharger.

A turbo needs a new manifold, external wastegate if an internal one is not included, intercooler/piping, blow-off/recirculation valve, and engine management. This is a big point: both systems should use some form of engine tuning. Don't think turbo's require hours of tuning while superchargers can just bolt on and go - if you really want to ensure the safety of your engine, you should have some engine tuning and a means of checking on engine health i.e. appropriate guages. Boost is boost, even though the systems deliver it in different ways, boost WILL kill your engine eventually if problems develop. Monitor the engine so you can catch/correct problems.

In the end, many people will advise a turbo kit, and this is based on the larger amount of experience turbocharging the KA24DE. If you want to try and piece together a supercharger kit, kudos to you but prepare to wonder why your wallet is so light. As far as a supercharger for a Nissan V6, I'm not very familiar with the engine/supercharger, but just because both the KA24 and V6 engnes were in the same engine bay does not mean that the blocks and pulley systems are anything alike - i.e. you may (read: probably WILL) have the same problems adapting that supercharger to a KA24DE as any other OE or aftermarket supercharger.

Feel free to correct or notify me that I've rehashed what others have written in other threads.

End lesson.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:02 AM

i wasn't trying to say that the pulleys would match, i was just stating that it would be the proper size to fit. i know that you would need to fabricate a pulley
Old 02-26-2004, 06:58 AM

Actually, what I meant is that the V6 supercharger sits on top of the V6 heads, feeding air directly to the intake ports of the engine. It doesn't look like it has any easily adaptable mounting brackets, and the intake manifold part of the supercharger is built to feed 6 ports (3 per side) not 4 in-line ports. Thus you'd need custom bracketry, and a custom intake manifold.

Also remember this is a supercharger that is sized to feed a 3.3L engine, which is quite a bit larger than a 2.4L unit. Factor in that the V6 is making 210 hp and 246 lb-ft of torque, and you can guess that the supercharger is probably sized quite a bit differently than would be recommended for the KA. So when you're fabricating that pulley, you'd have to be prepared to do lots of testing with different sizes to get the boost levels and boost delivery suitable for the KA.