Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

Detonation 101

Old 03-18-2004, 10:36 AM

Detonation 101

By: Dennis Adams

Detonation

Detonation or "knocking" arises from the production of an explosion wave in the combustion chamber. This is due to rapid ignition and combustion. A portion of the unburnt air/fuel mixture becomes compressed prematurely, which in turn rapidly increases in temperature until it ignites uncontrollably and almost instantaneously. The shock wave produced has a characteristic of a metallic sound and can vary in magnitude. It can range from a mild form, occurring only at relatively low speed and wide throttle positions (typically known as "pining") to such violent effects that the engine is no longer running in a controlled manner and power output dies.

Detailed view of detonation

Now that we know the definition of detonation we need to comprehend that if the temperature of an air/fuel mixture is raised to high, the mixture will eventually explode spontaneously. This is known as spontaneous ignition temperature. But, before this explosion there is an interval called ignition time-lag. If the piston approaching tdc of the combustion stroke takes longer than this period before the spark plug ignites there will be a premature explosion. The longer the time-lag the less chance of spontaneous there is of spontaneous ignition. If the air/fuel mixture is fired at the correct "timed" point and a good flame is achieved power loss through detonation is still possible. The burnt mixture behind the flame front will be at a high temperature and pressure, which will cause compression of the unburnt gas ahead of the spontaneous ignition point. The flame front must move right through the unburnt charge before the end of the ignition time-lag period if not this can lead to overheating and excessive mechanical stressing.

Fuel choice and detonation

With any fuel the brake thermal efficiency 1 will decrease if the compression ratio is increased. A properly chosen fuel can help diminish detonation. The advances in modern day fuels have extended their ignition time-lag periods and have decreased the spontaneous ignition temperatures, which allows for the use of a higher compression ratio (safely up to 11:1) to be used in the combustion process under complete control. There are also special fuels made especially for racing applications that allow compression ratios so high that the limit is actually dependent upon mechanical aspects of the cylinder head design.

Summary

The benefit of increasing compression ratio is to increase the torque output of an engine. The harm in raising the compression ratio is that cylinder pressures increases in a linear fashion as compression ratio is increased. An 8:1 compression ratio yields compression pressures of about 275 psi, where 15:1 yields compression pressure of about 575 psi. At the time of ignition the pressures will rise 3 or 4 times the compression pressure. Also, when an engine has been modified where even a slight increase in torque is achieved it is important that detonation is not allowed. The noise of detonation of a high-compression ratio engine using the correct grade of fuel is much harder to detect than that of an engine with a much lower compression ratio burning lower octane fuels. 1 Thermal Efficiency -Thermal efficiency is the measure of the efficiency and completeness of combustion of the fuel, or, more specifically, the ratio of the output or work done by the working substance in the cylinder in a given time to the input or heat energy of the fuel supplied during the same time.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:44 AM

good stuff - thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

good stuff
Old 04-11-2004, 10:45 PM
Contributing Member

I have to add to this-call it simplify. Sharp corners and edges on valve reliefs, combustion chamber edges, and pistons will get hot and rob power. Most of the time your ECU will sense this and back off the timing/add more fuel. You can run more boost and a leaner mix and make more power without detonation by simply smoothing edges on everything. My last car was a Civic with a boosted D16. It detonated and blew the head gasket right away when I added the turbo kit. I removed the head and found that the shop that surfaced the head left the edges sharp, and they were inside the firing ring of the the head gasket. I used a machinist debur tool and shaved off the sharp edge using the gasket as a template to make sure I didn't take off too much. Carbon can also cause problems smooth the chamber and top of the piston while your in there. My valve reliefs were fine but others may have sharp edges.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:36 PM

help me out a bit, does time-lag= retarding your timing of your ignition, causing your stroke to reach tdc and avoiding detonation

the higher the octane the less chance of detonation?

Damn i learned something new thanks alot even though i was alittle unclear about a few things i just want to make sure i didnt misinterprit <(however you spell it) anything
Man this is really execellent, Good job bro
Old 05-25-2004, 08:10 AM

thanks for the info, hopefully i can keep my KA-T from detonating
Old 06-01-2004, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by BoogiepopJDM
the higher the octane the less chance of detonation?

yes this is true because the higher the temperature with a low octane gas increases your chances of detonation, while higher octane fuel ignites at a much higher temperature, thus preventing detonation

SUMMARY

hi temp+low octane= good chance of detonation

hi temp+high octane=greatly reduced chance of detonation

OH YEAH!!...and running high boost along W/ high compression=detonation
Old 07-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

A higher octane fuel is HARDER to burn, and will help resist pre-ignition. Basically part of the engine gets hot enough to ignite the fuel early instead of the spark plug. Get your beavis and butt head mentality on and try to light some octane booster on fire, you'll see what I mean. Timing can be backed off to compensate, but this is a "duct tape and bailing wire" way of fixing things. Add more fuel, smooth sharp edges, and some colder plugs can help.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by rkcarguy
Get your beavis and butt head mentality on and try to light some octane booster on fire, you'll see what I mean. Timing can be backed off to compensate, but this is a "duct tape and bailing wire" way of fixing things. Add more fuel, smooth sharp edges, and some colder plugs can help.
sorry bro but if you ever tried that octane boosters, lets say 104+ or something like that, it dosent raise the octane level of the gas by that much it is just a point system they devised to to get people like you to buy their stuff
Old 12-12-2005, 07:18 PM

I was watching the History Channel and they explained the octane in gas.

Now I don't remeber the names exactly but a quick explanation would be something like this:

The gas is composed of two parts, the part that makes it explode and the rest that expands and burn along with aditives. (lets say octane). Octane doesn't explode, but burns. When you buy gas with more octane, you have more to burn ,but less explosive tendency. A higher octanage fuel has more of the "burnign part" and less of the "explosive" part. So higuer octane is harder to make ignite but it tend to be more powerful since once it does, there's more fuel to expand.

Now thats a very broad generalization but it should give you an idea of WHY it doesn't explode, and not just say "It won't iginite just b/c it has a higher number".
Old 12-12-2005, 07:24 PM

Now I actually did my homework and found out this

From How Stuff Works:
The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, you may have heard of methane, propane and butane. All three of them are hydrocarbons. Methane has just a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together.

It turns out that heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.
thast the "explosive and burn part" thingy I was trying to explain earlier. That should give you a mental idea. So the botom line is, lower octane will explode more, thus giving more HP to a stock car?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:24 PM

No, lower octane is more unstable under compression. You want a controlled explosion under compression (explosion at maximum compression which is started by the spark plug firing)
Higher octane allows you to compress an air fuel mixture more before it becomes unstable. This is why you need to use high octane fuel in cars with high cylinder compression ratios and cars that use forced induction.

The actual strength of the explosion is related to the amount of compression and some other factors like composition of the fuel etc
Old 05-15-2006, 02:53 PM

you guys are all wrong...the higher the octane, the faster you go because it has more nitrous in it!!!

juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust kidding
Old 06-06-2006, 06:43 PM

im 14 pwease dont wape me
but then again your coments are so helpful, Stay smart, stay in school. And don't just post b/c of posting, you'll get banned

My mother used to say:
"Create fame, then go to sleep"
Old 09-04-2006, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Joel SX
Now I actually did my homework and found out this

From How Stuff Works:

thast the "explosive and burn part" thingy I was trying to explain earlier. That should give you a mental idea. So the botom line is, lower octane will explode more, thus giving more HP to a stock car?
ok so if 87 octanne is 87 percent octane and 13 percent hectane or whatever then what about what the japs use?? its like 103 and up octane... are u saying its 103% cause that dont make sence can u clear it up a bit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Detonation 101