Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

Did you notice a big gain in power when you did your sr20 swap???

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 04:56 PM

Did you notice a big gain in power when you did your sr20 swap???

Hello everyone! A local preformance shop sells good clean SR20's for a reasonable price (all engines have 60,000km or less). I have the money to buy 1, I would be purchasing a greddy intercooler aswell. My question is for those who have done the swap with just a stock SR motor and intercooler.
Did you notice a big differance in the power/ or porformance of the car with the SR over the KA???? I know that the ka makes 155hp(my car is a 92) and that the SR makes 205hp. but I really just what to know if that 5ohp make much differance. Thanks for your time.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:19 PM

it makes about 40bhp more than a N/A SR and boost is one of the sexiest things in the world. Remember though, you get what you pay for so if it isnt a reknown shop, I probably wouldn't go for it.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:21 PM

This shop is NOT a back yard shop. They have a very good rep. The engines are not cheap, but they are reasonably priced. I don't mind spending a few exrta $$$ to get a good quality engine. The engine and trans are $2500-3000.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:23 PM

How much do the front clips run?
Old 11-14-2004, 12:49 AM

first you are going to notice a decent difference. not as much of one that you probably think but you wont be disappointed. question is are you buying the swap just because it seem like the thing to do or is there a certain goal your trying to accomplish. just asking so you dont feel like you wasted your money in the end.

second, you could probably get a nice SR front clip for 3000. plus you will also get alot of **** your going to find out you need. just make sure the clip has an uncut upper harness and as much of the little things you can get on it. like the ignitor and mafs.......
Old 11-14-2004, 02:19 PM

I would like to do the swap to get more performance out of the car. I would be mostly running the local autocross, and just rippin around with friends. So I need the car to be reliable plus fun to drive. I realy like my car but I know that my 302 ford pickup could take it if I lined them up at a stop light. I also enjoy workin on the car with my Dad. My perents own a motorcycle shop, They live about 1 hr away from me, so We have all the tools& equipment we need. As far as clips go, they are availabe as well $3500 CND funds ($1000 more then just the engine). I origanaly wanted to get a complete clip but the guy at the shop said theres no need to and explained y ( the engine will come with all sensors and ignition parts needed). If I were to buy the motor and trans it will come will everything except the intercooler. My plan was to send the wiring harness away to a place in the U.S. they will send me back a complete ready to install harness for $300 U.S. I was planning on buying the Greddy intercooler beacuse it comes with all the pipping (but its not cheap $1000Cnd). Right now I not sure if I should spend money on a down pipe, and a manual bost control. I'm told that the stock setup runs 7psi, but with the bost controller it could be adjusted to run 10 psi with out damaging the turbo or replacing the head gasket with the greddy gasket. And it seems that a 3" down pipe is a must so I'm told. If any one knows of a good intercooler that less$$ the the greddy and comes with all the pipping please let me know. I hopfully will recive my Apexi BOV in a week. I don't expect the car to be the fastest thing on the road, and I also don't want to buy a bunch of stuff I don't need, so any advise as to what should be done would be great.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2004, 02:29 PM

P.S My car is a 92 so the stock gauges will work. I also had the exhaust done. The cat has been replaced with a 2 1/4"x 16" res, and 2 1/4" pipe all the way through to the reactive can. I hope it will work o.k. At the time I didn't know I was going to do the swap or else I would have went with 3" or 3 1/4" pipe.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:18 PM

You will notice a deffinent power gain, especially if you get a boost controller and/or downpipe. I would deffiently recommend getting a new exhaust though, that small of exhaust will hurt performance and I'm sure the Ractive can is not very flow friendly either. Is the piping atleast mandrel bent? A 3" downpipe will deffiently help with power, but it is not necessary as long as you have the stock SR one, the KA will not work (for obvious reasons).

As far as clips go, if you have very good knowledge then you dont really need the clip if you are sure the engine set will come with everything. However, buying a clip gives you a very good reference when doing the swap if you have any questions, plus then you know you will have all the parts necessary.