Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

Engine Management

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 02:47 PM

Engine Management

I've been searching these forums but haven't seen too much on standalones. I'm looking for something I could use to tune a SR20DET and datalog on track days. Is there something like the Hondata or UTEC for Nissans? Plug & Play (into wire harness)would be prefered. What products do I have to choose from?

I read about the TEC II/III but probably need something easier to tune and its not plug & play.

Last edited by Koua Jones; 09-25-2002 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:38 PM

mines
electra
stealth
esperit
hks
apexi
blitz
boxer
tomei
sard
neko
central 20
sheep dog
umpul
hasemi sport
buddy club
sealazone
altair
racing service watanabe
jam sport
etc...
they all make ecu's
for the sr that is//
Old 09-25-2002, 04:56 PM

check out haltech www.haltech.com (E6K)
Old 09-25-2002, 05:09 PM

Re: Engine Management

Originally posted by Koua Jones
I've been searching these forums but haven't seen too much on standalones. I'm looking for something I could use to tune a SR20DET and datalog on track days. Is there something like the Hondata or UTEC for Nissans? Plug & Play (into wire harness)would be prefered. What products do I have to choose from?

I read about the TEC II/III but probably need something easier to tune and its not plug & play.
That's a big list. Time to open up my Option magazines. Off the top of your head are any of these ecus tuneable by the enduser or only by the tuner?

And as my post rating says I'm a newbie in tuning too. But I must have something that will allow me to learn.

Last edited by Koua Jones; 09-25-2002 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:50 AM

hks and apexi allows... user tuning..
the apexi power fc or whatever
and the hks standalone..
both expensive..
and if u cant read japanese u are **** out of luck...
Old 09-26-2002, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

Take a look at the Greddy eManage.

There's a mailing list for it at yahoogroups.

Looks like a lot of adjustability for not too much money and also allows datalogging. It can control both fuel and spark and costs about the same as the average piggyback fuel controller.

-Justin
www.saltgod.org
Old 09-26-2002, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Well I agree, but heard some good things about the haltech, but that's because thats one of the few mainland parts we have here. The Power FC by Apex'i and that's awesome I heard. This guy who I met at a meet with a RX-7 had one and he said its unbelievable. So you might want to look into that. And I knwo he couldn't read japanese, so I don't know how he tuned it, but he did.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:37 AM

and...
if im not mistaken..
which i probobally am... the haltec or motec or one of those tec's work of a dist signal.. so if u have a sr u are screwed..
also from what i heard from the fd guys is that the apexi fc is good up to about 3-400 hp..
after that it just cant compensate for a full standalone..
dont ask why...

and... the emanage can be bought for 300 bucks..
but you also need a laptop and some misc crap to hook the emanage to your stock ecu... btw the emanage is the greddy unit..
and i concur your majesty..
the emanage is quite good for a piggy back...
Old 09-26-2002, 11:37 AM
PSM
*****istrator

Tec-II and Motec are very good options but more than likely they do much more that you need. One of the most important things about stand alones are how easy they are to tune, is there someone/shop near you that is an expert at it, and most importantly how good there tech support is.

Haltec's help support is not so great from my own experience.

For street use and occasional track days I highly reccomend either the Link Plus or AEM. From what I've heard, th AEM is actually a GEMS unit, just AEM bought the rights for the US. If you guys are familiar with GEMS, they pretty much are in the TEC-II and Motec field.

I have a Link Plus on mine and installation was very easy. It uses your factory sensors, unlike the TEC and Haltec and Motec and you can run A/C without problems Also you can datalog for up to 30mins I believe.

The AEM uses fsctory sensors as well. These two ECUs are one of the only ones I know that have Windows based software for you to tune with.

My friend has a Apex PFC on his RX-7 and that seems like a pretty good option as well. I dont know if they are laptop programmable though. It has a Commander you can use to tune, similar to the option progam module that you can purchase with the Link Plus if you dont feel like hooking up a laptop everytime you wanna tune.

If you want more info on the Link Plus go to http://www.carmodifications.com/Link...k-linkplus.htm
There support is awesome whether you are a beginner or pro on the unit.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by PSM
Tec-II and Motec are very good options but more than likely they do much more that you need. One of the most important things about stand alones are how easy they are to tune, is there someone/shop near you that is an expert at it, and most importantly how good there tech support is.

Haltec's help support is not so great from my own experience.

For street use and occasional track days I highly reccomend either the Link Plus or AEM. From what I've heard, th AEM is actually a GEMS unit, just AEM bought the rights for the US. If you guys are familiar with GEMS, they pretty much are in the TEC-II and Motec field.

I have a Link Plus on mine and installation was very easy. It uses your factory sensors, unlike the TEC and Haltec and Motec and you can run A/C without problems Also you can datalog for up to 30mins I believe.

The AEM uses fsctory sensors as well. These two ECUs are one of the only ones I know that have Windows based software for you to tune with.

My friend has a Apex PFC on his RX-7 and that seems like a pretty good option as well. I dont know if they are laptop programmable though. It has a Commander you can use to tune, similar to the option progam module that you can purchase with the Link Plus if you dont feel like hooking up a laptop everytime you wanna tune.

If you want more info on the Link Plus go to http://www.carmodifications.com/Link...k-linkplus.htm
There support is awesome whether you are a beginner or pro on the unit.
But Al hates the Link system and now he is on the Autotronic bandwagon. Anybody have use one?http://www.turbofast.com.au/autronic/autronic.html

My brother uses the Power FC on his RX-7 (had a shop tune his car)I will have to talk to him about it.

I am going to recheck out the eManage and the Link system.

Last edited by Koua Jones; 09-26-2002 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:18 PM

i eblieve the emanage works under windows..
but...
be wary of aem ecu...
it may just be a glitch but alot of the ecu's aren working that well..
maybe they will fix it...
alot of shops who were all into the new intro ecu...
have regretted installing themin project cars..