Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

on the fence

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 05:24 PM

on the fence

ok, so i know im getting a 1990 s240sx as long as everything progresses with my insurance. i know what i want to do int/ext and suspention wise. what i cant figure out is what motor i want to do. its wither the ka sohc, or the dohc. ive been doing some reading on this site and nico. this motor will be turbo'd.
so let me hear your claims, preferences, and downsides.

sohc - single cam = less rotating mass with one cam, less timing chain to frick up. larger area to port in the head

dohc - closer valve lap. more rotating mass

also id like to cam the motor and build it up a bit from stock. either will be a full rebuild. so feel free to post parts and site to purchase them.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:57 PM

What ever motor the car comes with just build that one. Lately, the single cam motor has been shown a little love from the aftermarket and now there is signs of a ka26e stroker kit may be on the horizon if things go as planned. The ka24de has much more aftermarket support. They are both kick *** motors.
The reason i'm saying keep the motor is because if you were going to do a motor swap put in a sr, or rb. There would be much more potential, and would be a little more expensive than another motor swap. If you want to do a motor swap, do it big.
Dustin
Old 05-20-2005, 05:14 PM

well i decided against going overseas for an engine just incase something stupid blows out. i dont want to wait a week to get my car going. i do alot of driving so i need to keep it on the road. an rb swap for around 400-500hp would be awsome but id spend as much on just the clip then what i can do with either ka to around 300 something hp so please lets keep it to those 2 engines