Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

Is my BOV broken?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 05:57 PM

Is my BOV broken?

I just recently bought a greddy type s bov; unfortunately, it doesn't give off the ideal bov sound like a blow-off valve should be doing. But the worst part is that i don't seem to here anything at all from the bov. The connection seems fine or is it because it's a recirculating bov?
Old 12-14-2003, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Well how did you set it up? If it is a recirc. then yes the blow off would be considerably quieter. If I remember the sound of the Greddy Type-S it should be a quick high pitched chirp.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:15 AM

well i have an SR20 pipe with the blow-off valve which i installed after the intercooler. Instead of a quick chirp it makes a very, very, quiet fluttering sound. Some say its just like that . But o'well, at least the car runs pretty good now that i have it installed.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Do you have it re-circulating back into the system, or is it blowing off into the atmosphere? My BOV makes a fluttering sound also, but under partial boost, when I'm not at WOT, just shifting normal. But under WOT or about 3/4 throttle, it begins to make a whoosh sound, like the BOV is opening all the way up. Maybe you have too hard a spring? The BOV might not be opening up fully for you when you let off the gas, like the vacuum created at whatever boost your running isn't strong enough to open the BOV fully.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:56 PM

isn't the greddy type s adjustable??? maybe you should put it on the softest setting first to make sure it opens and then adjust from there.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Wow I wasn't aware of that. If it is adjustable that is a nice feature. I would try that first also.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:27 PM

my rfl on my dsm is adjustable
Old 12-24-2003, 06:35 PM

Yeah...I tried having it on really soft already but it is still the same. It does however make a fluttering sound like you said but it is very very quiet meaning i have to turn off the music and concentrate in order to hear it. And at WOT i can't hear squat with my exhaust being so loud.

Last edited by SlydeSHO; 12-24-2003 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

i think that fluttereing sounbd is compressor surge
Old 01-07-2004, 07:11 AM

Now, educate me a lil on this. Would compressor surge be a good thing or a bad thing? and how can i fix the problem?
Old 01-10-2004, 11:34 PM

compressor surge is a nightmare that has come to reality! compressor surge kills turbos!!! that fluttering sound is compressor surge! my eclipse is set up to run 26 psi on the track, so when i take of the gas pedal at less than 5 psi my bov doesn't open. i then get that cool fluttering sound. it sounds kinda cool, but is killing your turbo!!! you will be lucky if your turbo lasts 2 oil changes without your bov opening!!! get that thing installed properly. that is your problem. it has to be. oh and by the way... ...hey, ryan15 that is a baddass picture!!!
Old 01-12-2004, 03:37 AM

MaHN! Thanks a lot for telling me chriswgsx. I'll make sure i'll get on that right away. I appreciate you guys helping me out. I hope I can do the same for your guys in the future.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:43 AM

However, i got the BOV to open and make a fast sucking sound but only when shifting to 2nd gear, but the the rest of the gears and when reving during idle i can't hear anything except for the compressor surge. I tried putting it soft and and in between but the BOV still won't open. As of right now i have it adjusted to a little hard without any boost upgrades. Any suggestions?
Old 01-12-2004, 09:19 PM

check to make sure that the vacuum hoses of the bov are in the right places. this is very important. also check to make sure that there are no leaks. you could take the bov off and just push on the flapper door to make sure it opens. it is not easy to push, but you should be able to push it with your thumb. if you push hard and it won't open get a new bov. You should also know that many (if not most) BOVs are two way valves. most people don't know this, but not only do they let air out when you take off the gas, but it can take in air to reduce turbo lag. Again, i don't know if the greddy is a 2 way valve or not, but that might be the sucking sound. it is usually pretty quiet though.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:15 AM

I see...but when i said sucking i wanted to describe it as a quick whisel and then shut. Unfortunately, it only does that when i lightly let go of the gas. When I do try to release the gas quickly it makes the fluttering noise again (compressor surge). Should i harden the springs or soften? Because it is hard to tell if air is being released prematurely or the valve just not opening when it is suppose to.

Quick Reply: Is my BOV broken?