Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

New Greddy Turbo Kit on enjukuracing

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 08:26 AM

New Greddy Turbo Kit on enjukuracing

Hey Guys,

I have a debate...I pan on turbo'ing my car in January. I just saw that enjuku has a new Greddy Turbo kit that they are releasing very soon. I am very interested in this kit, but I am not sure if it would be better to turbo my KA24 or got with a SR swap.

What do you guys think the advantages of going with a swap compared to this Greddy kit would be? Looks like this kit pushes around 210 hp, and an SR swap would be about 205.

Basically, I want to know what everone thinks about my options.

Oh, BTW, here is a link to enjuku's greddy turbo page:

http://w1.igateway.com/clients1/tc/s...ifunction=form
Old 09-25-2003, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Ive heard that turboing a KA has lots of torque, more then the SR. The price is just about the same...for S13 SR its 2500+shipping, which is a lot..and for that turbo its 3 grand + shipping..which isnt much. Is this for a KA24DE or 24E? It would be best if u have a low mileage KA so u can have more life out of the KA.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:38 AM

how much boost can a KA take with stcok internals?
Old 09-25-2003, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Ive heard that turboing a KA has lots of torque, more then the SR. The price is just about the same...for S13 SR its 2500+shipping, which is a lot..and for that turbo its 3 grand + shipping..which isnt much. Is this for a KA24DE or 24E? It would be best if u have a low mileage KA so u can have more life out of the KA.
It's for 95-98 S14's, so I guess it would have to be for a DE.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by doogie240
It's for 95-98 S14's, so I guess it would have to be for a DE.
Ahh ur correct...i overlooked that lol. And ur ganna get upgraded internals right?
Old 09-25-2003, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
Ahh ur correct...i overlooked that lol. And ur ganna get upgraded internals right?
That was one of my main concerns...What kind of internals would I need to upgrade? or could I get away with the turbo without building anything up? My KA has 95,000 miles on it, btw
Old 09-25-2003, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Im not excatly sure..go to this forum for a lot of info. Search and u will find a few things...http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.net/fo...s=&forumid=124 It will help ya out a lot!
Old 09-27-2003, 10:46 AM

yeah, it seems like alot are having problems with the turbo KA, blowing headgaskets blowing engines, from what I hear tunning is very important to keep the turbo KA going and living, I also think some try to run to much boost, and just don't have the turbo KA tunned to well, the SR engine is going to do much better, because it is already setup for turbo, some have problems with the SR, but most have better luck with the SR.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:55 AM

The thing about turboing a ka is to be conservative. When boosting a non turbo engine about 7 psi is safe and most turbo systems don't excede that amount whithout further modification. Keep in ming that with about 6lbs of boost xs engineering's kit runs 228 at the wheels, while a stock sr red top will produce in the area of 160-170 hp at the wheels. Also with that motor since it does have a lower compression ratio power is realized at the upper rpms. Motors that rely heavily on high boost levels to make power are laggy. My vw 1.8t uses 11lbs of boost and while the turbo spools very quickly power is still not felt the instant i mash the excellerater (I'm not saying that 11lbs is a high boost setting but more of a personal reference point). Just keep in mind that there is a trade off no matter what you do. More boost=more peak power=greater lag time. And yes slapping a turbo on a motor designed to run w/o forced induction is always dangerous to your motor if you have not done all the proper preprations. If you do turbo your ka have a compression check do if it is not within spec make your decision based on that. If you decide to keep the motor be prepared to replace and build up the bottom end with stronger parts. Apr headstuds and a coppper head gasket remedy the blown gasket problem and new pistons, rings, and rods will allow greater amounts of boost. Which ever direction you go neither is better than the other they both have their advantages and disadvantages, and in terms of cost to make 400 hp in either is about the same.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:26 PM
PSM
*****istrator

Tuning is THE most important issue when turboing a N/A car. Since the stock 240sx relies on MAF for fuel corrections it even makes it tougher to tune. Piggybacks such as SAFC etc. will work but not for long. The OEM ECU will start to 'wise' up form the piggy backs 'tricks' and thats when things will go wrong.

I think if you invest in a proper fully programmable ECU (Power FC, Tec-III, Haltech) and properly sized injectors, fuel pump and regulator you can push a safe 10-12psi. Anything more than that will run you into trouble due to the compression of the KA24DE. One thing that will definitely help you push an extra 3-4psi will be water injection. A whole separate story but a great feature to add for more relaiblilty.

Dont forget some tuning tools such as gauges (boost, fuel pressure, oil pressure and EGT). And plan to tune boost levels on a Dyno with a wideband O2 hooked up.

Good luck!