Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 03:05 PM

nitrous

hey, i was wondering if the sr20 is nitrous friendly, and why do i never see 240sx's with nos? (besides the anti-ricer aspect)
Old 05-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

nitrous is not friendly on any turbo car, unless highly built, our cars are under enough compression bc of the boost, nitrous would not be good. As for the ka24, there are a few people on this board that have it, i think they shoot like 75 shot. Its not a ricer aspect unless you go around saying you have naawwwws
Old 05-08-2006, 03:26 PM

ohhhh nos helps spool larger turbos nos is safe u only have to compensate by addig more fuel with standalone systems y can tune into it safely ppl are just misseducated about it that think its just a power added that u just spray and instant horse power just like any power adder it needs to be tunned
Old 05-08-2006, 06:09 PM

i dont know who to go with here, but motegineon, how about like 75 shot for the intercooler?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:00 PM

the way motors make power is trying to fit more air and fuel into the cumbustion chamer so turbos make it so u can smush more air into the cumbustion chamber but if u dont compensate with adding more fuel ull lean out and blow a ring. samething with nos its preety much cold air the denser the air the more u can fit in the same space so if u dont add fuel ull be leaning out. its preety simple the more air the more fuel u gotta put in.
P.S if u just want for the intercooler just make an external sparyer for it it just freezes the intercooler my friend ran 11'son a tsi by opening up a bottle and spraying it before the run
Old 05-09-2006, 10:37 AM
PNG

Originally posted by ka-tfresh
i dont know who to go with here, but motegineon, how about like 75 shot for the intercooler?
There's actually a couple ways to make nitrous and boost play nice. One is (sort of) what you mentioned, using nitrous in an external intercooler sprayer, which can actually bring the intake air temperature below ambient for short periods of time. There's no such thing as a "75 shot" for an intercooler sprayer, though - the jets you'd use to meter nitrous for use inside the engine aren't typically used for a sprayer - the idea is to get as much nitrous on the IC core as quick as possible, so you wouldn't put a restriction in there.

The other, more interesting way to use nitrous with a turbocharger is as an anti-lag system. With a wet kit jetted for 35 or so horsepower, and activated via a WOT switch, window switch, and pressure (Hobbs) switch wired in series, you can use nitrous to fill in the bottom end of the torque curve on an engine that's got a turbo that's optimized for top-end performance.

The idea is that when all the conditions are met, i.e. throttle wide open, rpm higher than 2500 but lower than, say 5k, and manifold pressure less than 7psi (on a motor that runs 15psi peak) the nitrous and fuel flow. This does two things: first, it adds power (duh!) in a part of the engine's operating range where it would normally be laggy, and second, it generates more exhaust flow than normal to help the turbo spool quicker.

Used for anti-lag, it doesn't take much nitrous to make a turbo motor a lot more responsive.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:50 PM

cool..i learned a lot today thx guys...i know it may sound stupid, but ive never heard of anti-lag nos.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:00 PM

PNG beat me to it, if you have the dough and you do it right, a turbo and nitrous motor can be a beast.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:03 PM

sweet...now i can be like the guys on the fast and the furious...right......right guys?

juuuuuuuuuuuust kidding
Old 05-09-2006, 06:54 PM

i make fun of the FF using nos cause its NAAwwSS not N2O. Danger to manifold!!! LOL!!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Ya, you might run so much that you blow the welds on the intake...and your floor pan will fall out
Old 05-10-2006, 09:33 AM
PNG

Originally posted by Preston
Ya, you might run so much that you blow the welds on the intake...and your floor pan will fall out
I haven't blown the welds on my intake yet, but I did have a nitrous backfire kick the MAF sensor off the end of my intake tube, and push the tube half-way out of the coupler that mates it to the throttle body... That was exciting.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:40 PM

haha...yea, where'd they get the thought that the floor pan would fall out when the "welds on the intake were being blown"?

still haven't figured that one out
Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Plus the fact that it wasn't the entire floor pan. I didn't know it was made in tiny pieces.

Nvd, I forgot he replaced it with diamond plate, so that's why lol.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:10 PM

it's just kinda surprising to me how ignorant the people who made the movies are. maybe you should know stuff about ricers before you make a movie about them...

Quick Reply: nitrous