Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

super-charging rb25

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 01:00 AM

super-charging rb25

personally I love turbos... but I love being differnt too... anyone tell me the positives or negatives to super charging ver turbo... think I know a site I could source a rb20de, rb26de, or the aussie beast rb30de....

Most likely if I do it, it'll be a RB20 Super-charged hybrid...
Old 10-09-2003, 01:16 AM

Re: super-charging rb25

Originally posted by TruDirtyPlaya
personally I love turbos... but I love being differnt too... anyone tell me the positives or negatives to super charging ver turbo... think I know a site I could source a rb20de, rb26de, or the aussie beast rb30de....

Most likely if I do it, it'll be a RB20 Super-charged hybrid...
hmm not a big supercharger fan here, thats more of a domestic thing imo... but if you want to go ahead! you'll get no flaming from me i love to see creativity.

as far as advantages, the only one i know of is that a supercharger has no lag, and its all linear power.

but i don't know theres just something about turbo thats just amazing, be it the sound, the feel, who knows, but once you experience it, NA or supercharged just isn't as cool lol

maybe im just a fanatic?
Old 10-09-2003, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

If you wanna look at pro's versus con's,then i'd reccommend searching.
I'd love to be different and have a SC 240. 6psi is all I want, it'd add an estimated 75hp according to RIPP, wouldn't require an intercooler and would just be cool to have. I don't have buttload of HP, i think 240rwhp would be perfect, heh.

Dr.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

I think that would be sum major moddin..but do wutcha wanna do. The only plus i see is instant boost..no turbo lag at all.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

wouldn't some other differences be not needing a boost controller (as it depends on the pulley sizes, right?) and possibly no threat of boost spikes?
Old 10-09-2003, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Sil40_Mayhem
wouldn't some other differences be not needing a boost controller (as it depends on the pulley sizes, right?) and possibly no threat of boost spikes?
True..those can be a plus. And i dunno about the boost controller im not a big SC guy
Old 10-10-2003, 12:37 AM

Ha! honestly... dont think I could give up the turbo... not even driving one.... it's the freakin BOV thats has...

I LOVE THAT SOUND :P

just think it would sound cool to say that mouth full when talking about the engine. besides for that the project probably be a turbo'd car
Old 10-10-2003, 12:53 AM

Keep in mind this overview is very rough and doesnt go into much detail (like centrifugal/roots SC's)

Superchargers work best in a different part of the power band. Turbos create power roughly proportional to the amount of air leaving the cylinder-the more air leaves-the more can be compressed. So at low speeds, performance can actaully suffer until enough air is being compressed to get optimum boost. Which is why us boost happy import guys love Turbos-for the upper RPM power

A supercharger is belt driven. It costs HP to use another belt-but they add more than they take away. Because the belt drives the compressor-instant low end power, no lag, no loss-perfect for torquey launches, But on the top end superchargers tend to suffer as the inherent ineffifciency catches up. Which is why the domestic guys like them-they rarely hit top RPM's before they shift to the next gear, its in the lower part of the power band they get the best performance.

Turbos make a nice sound-but the scream of a Jackson SC on an Integra GSR sleeper tearing up Carrera 4's and S2000's on the AutoX track is just as cool.......