Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

What to do???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 03:40 PM

What to do???

I plan on putting a turbo on my motor, but it almost has 143,000 on it. I plan on runnin about 10psi max, and about 5-7psi for daily driving. This car WILL be a daily driver. Now my choices are either turbo it till it dies, then drop in a used motor and run the risk of killing that one too. Or I could completely rebuild the motor ($$$$$$$$) and/or replace the headgasket with a 3mm and possibly upgrade the head internals. What do you guys think I should do? Drop in used motor, full rebuild, head rebuild, or just leave it alone?
Old 02-21-2004, 04:39 PM

probably want to start with a compression test to see what kind of shape its in. if it was driven hard 143k is a whole lot of miles
Old 02-23-2004, 07:02 AM

save your money and go to school............wish I would have back all of the money I've dropped into my cars.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:44 AM

I don't know too much on this stuff, but I plan on buying a 240 with low miles (hopefully with no oil leaks and good compression!), buying & installing a good turbo kit, THEN saving for rods, pistons, a rebuild with a better head gasket etc. when I have the chance. Theoretically, I shouldn't need them on 7lbs of boost with a properly installed turbo kit w/ intercooler. So, it'll be something i'll "get around to", ie. if I see problems arising or if the miles get high etc etc. Maybe this helps??!! By all means let me know what you KA-T guys think of this...
Old 02-23-2004, 10:01 AM

i would throw the turbo on there and then get a motor right away and then start rebuilding that until the one ur using goes to hell or u finish the spare one!!! or just buy a new motor and rebuild and turbo it right away and then throw it in ther car! thoes would be my 2 choises(im doing the second one as we speak......possibly lol)
Old 02-23-2004, 12:11 PM

Need a daily driver? keep it stock, buy a spare motor, rebuild the spare motor, DO NOT put your kit on your daily until you're done with the spare. Why go through the trouble of tuning it to a motor that wont be in for long? Makes no sense. Be patient and take your time with the rebuild.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Romeyo07
Need a daily driver? keep it stock, buy a spare motor, rebuild the spare motor, DO NOT put your kit on your daily until you're done with the spare. Why go through the trouble of tuning it to a motor that wont be in for long? Makes no sense. Be patient and take your time with the rebuild.
Genius, absolutely genious.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:33 PM

What if I rebuilt the head first, and then later the bottom end? Of course the head would have 3mm head gasket, lighter valves, stronger springs, port job, etc. How long would the bottom end last at anywhere from 5 to 10psi for daily driving? Just wondering how long it would be after I rebuilt the head before I had to repair the bottom end.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:41 AM

word of the day is PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't half *** your rebuild