Turbo Motor Discussions about aftermarket turbo'd 240sx and Silvias.

whats better top of front mount

Old 03-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

whats better top or front mount

i have done some reaserch on this topic on google what do u guys think is better top mount or front mount cooling

Last edited by Biggamehit; 03-09-2005 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:53 PM

front mount gets a more constant and larger air charge, i believe front mounts are more efficient... for rally purpose (ie; subaru setup) a top mounted intercooler is less likely to get messed up by water or whatever...
Old 03-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

cool, what about v mount and side mounting
Old 03-11-2005, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Biggamehit
cool, what about v mount and side mounting
v mount is great for racing but not for street. you have to cut up your whole front end...and if you rear end someone...game over.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

wella top moun is a stupid idea period becasue of well heat soak and the engine was never made to have a top mount... and oter than putting an ugly hood scoop how are you gonna get air to it.

side mount is kinda a weak option for a sigle tourbo 4 cyle on a large displacement TT car they can work.

Vmount is sweet but it take a quite a bit of work to get one to function properly and stay cooled
Old 03-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

FMIC is the most practical for daily and track driving. SMIC and TMIC both suffer from heatsoak because of eitehrthier location adn/or size. For VMIC, it' a good idea, very effective, but involves a lot of work like Cath says to vent the air to the IC and actually getting both the rad and IC mounted vertically. Not to mention it can be dangerous for daily driving.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:23 AM

The RALLY CARS have front mount....non of their cars or atleast the suburu setup is front mount....the IC mounts on the upper grill, the lowerone houses the radiator, and theres a big carbon fiber sheet that forces all the air out the top of the hood.... NOTHING from the front accually gets into the engine... the engine also recieves air to breath from the back of hood.

and...in the v-mount setup, its pretty easy to make some brackets for the rad. and intercooler. then you can just get some custom piping to the intercooler.... THE ONLY thing that would be a BIT*H is the coolant piping/overflow res. the radiator should be a sr radiator installed backwards, facing the engine.....that will make the return line pretty easy, but the feed line, thats a freaking PITA.

im so close, i already designed my backets, i just need to find some quality hoses, and a mr2 radiator thing that holds the rad. cap.

i also dont undertan y the Vmount would be anymore dangerous than a front mount. eitherway, your going to loose the FMIC and the rad, if it hard enough. or just the FMIC w/ a tap.
i accually think that the V mount will be safer since we do not have to cut off the bumper support, unlike the FMIC.