Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Amp location

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

Amp location

Well the time has come to start hookin up my stereo in my 240. I have an alpine amp and some subs that it will inherit from my acura, and while im at it, i want to add a 4 channel amp to power the other speakers in the car. My question is (and dont tell me to search, im on top of that), where should i put the amp, and how do i go about wiring it to my speakers. Ive wired my subs myself, so thats not a problem, but inerior speakers is another story. Any ideas? pics?
Old 06-24-2005, 03:22 AM
Contributing Member

here are a few ideas... you are onlylimited by your imagination and space in your car...

as far as installing the 4 ch amp to your interior speakers that is pretty much the same as when you wired up your subs... run the wires for the rear from the amp right to the speakers... they are right there any way... then take 2 sets of speaker wires and run them under the carpet and behind the dash to where your head unit is installed... disconnect all of the speaker wire leads that are comming out of your radio and wire up the 2 speaker wires you just put in to the front speaker wires of the car... then you are done... just make sure that you keep the positive and the negative wires going to the right place or you will loos bass response out of the other speakers...
Old 06-24-2005, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

what i was thinking was take the wires from straight off the head unit, and extending them to the amp, then after the amp, run them back to behind the head unit.

I cant seem to find a good place for the amp, you cant fit it under the seat, cuz it sits like a go kart. i want it to be practical and not some wild show car idea. Any suggestions?
Old 06-24-2005, 11:24 AM

run new, larger wires! i don't have that cardboard crap in my trunk, i made 1/4" "floor" so i can screw my amp into that. if you have room try that.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:08 AM

im putting a piece of wodd in between behind the seat, then puttin the amp on top of that.

more ideas here:

http://www.club240.com/forums/showth...threadid=23772
Old 06-25-2005, 06:30 PM

just get 2 small planks of wood(1/4" or 1/8") and stick them behind the carpet on the back of the rear seat and screw the amps into that. then they will be solidly fixzed there and you wont have to worry. OR you could do the same, but on the floor of the trunk. as for running wires, dont use the stock **** wires. those things r way too small. run a good 14-16 awg wire to each speaker. you can reach the stock rubber grommets going to the doors from under the dash(you just need to feel around for them). then get scissors or something to make a hole big enough to run the wire through it. its not hard to do at all, just takes patience.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

If your amps aren't that big, you can put them both on your back seat. If you're not too concerned about space you can put them on the floor, with the subs infront of them (depending on how big everything is...)
Old 06-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by toycar
just get 2 small planks of wood(1/4" or 1/8") and stick them behind the carpet on the back of the rear seat and screw the amps into that. then they will be solidly fixzed there and you wont have to worry. OR you could do the same, but on the floor of the trunk. as for running wires, dont use the stock **** wires. those things r way too small. run a good 14-16 awg wire to each speaker. you can reach the stock rubber grommets going to the doors from under the dash(you just need to feel around for them). then get scissors or something to make a hole big enough to run the wire through it. its not hard to do at all, just takes patience.
yeah i was gonna run 16 awg wire anyways, that crappy stock wire is what, 22 awg? thats crazy like 7 strands of wire... poo on that!

But being that both amps are different brands, im gonna hide the kenwood until i can get a second alpine amp... i love alpine. ive never had a single problem. Not only that, but even when my wires got stuck together after my subs came loose, it did nothing to the amp. their amps are solid as rocks... too bad they weigh about as much too lol
Old 06-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Running wires isn't too bad...imagine doing it everyday--thats a pain in the ***.

Best thing to do is to remove things that will get in your way, and tuck. It seems like it would take forever to take out seats, panels, etc, etc, but in reality it'll save you the trouble of struggling to get around things. Just take out the stuff that is needed to run the wires. Putting it back together isn't too bad either, as long as you keep all your screws.

Just a suggestion, but tucking is your friend!!
Old 06-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

actually most of the inside of my 240 is torn apart anyway... im starting my body work, so the interior of the trunk ahd to be removed to pound out a few dents... i need to replace the rear seats anyways... but running the amp wires is one of the last things im gonna do, cuz i need the amp to stay in my legend until the 240 hits the road...
Old 06-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome! By the way, where did you get that valve cover, or was it already like that? Lol...I like black...
Old 06-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

i did it myself... if you want to know how i did it, i can tell you
Old 06-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

...Yes...that would be...outstanding.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

well the car is sitting at work until i get some plates for it, and too kthe valve cover off and sandblasted it. then, i took some duplicolor primer and sprayed a few coats. next, i used duplicolor's engine enamel "Low gloss black" (not flat black). i sprayed a few coats. The more coats, the smoother it will come out. Mines almost velvety to the touch. then i took a paintbrush and sprayed some of duplicolors engine enamel "aluminum" color paint into a cup and hand painted the letters. I didnt have the patience to tape off the letters, so i painted em one at a time.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

VERY nice job. I'm definitely about to do the same thing...

I don't have a sandblaster though, so I guess sandpaper will have to do. Any suggestions on grit?

Quick Reply: Amp location