Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Bookshelf mounts maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Bookshelf mounts maybe?

Okay, well i decided that when it comes to amps im an alpine *****. Being the case, im going to steal the amp from my acura legend, and buy another amp either identical, or similar in style in a 4 channel model. At first i thought of mounting them directly on the rear seat, but theyre too big to both fit. SO i decided to put the welders at work to good use (make them actually work for their pay LOL). Im going to try to make a bookshelf style rack to mount my amps on. My question is this, has anyone seen one in an s13 fastback before? If so, are there any pics? And also, is there anything i need to know about this type of shelf before building it? Thanks for any info
Old 07-07-2005, 03:03 AM
Contributing Member

use rubber grommets between the amp and the metal... some amps dont mind all of the vibration being transfered from the car into them from the metal amp rack... others do... the pics of the bmw with the metal amp rack are one of the very few i have ever seen using metal... you cant see the rubber i used to mount the amps but there is a half inch rubber grommet under each amp to help isolate it from some of the vibrations... i like the idea of using metal... and with a good tubing bender you can do some crazy stuff...

as far as welding... the one in the bmw is not welded at all... but it took a lot of machine work to get it to where it holds itself together with one bolt in the bottem of each leg... make sure your welds are clean and look good... then powder coat the whole thing or get it polished like that one was...
Old 07-07-2005, 04:25 AM
Contributing Member

acutally i was thinking about making a simple one (temporarily) out of some 1/2" angle iron, and where the amp sits on it, put some rubber gasket material under it. We have lots of rubber gasket at work. Also, because the EQ adjustments are on the top, so the angle would be pretty steep. I was thinking have the 2 amps, and on each side of the shelf, have a powercap. That would look and sound good.