Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

CD deck self install help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 07:48 PM

Question CD deck self install help.

heres the deal, I got a Panasonic CQ-DF402u cd player for my 89 240sx, but i dont really have the money to get it installed...actually I DONT have the money to get it installed, im broke *** poor. But anyway I was wondering if anyone could help me out and tell me how to remove the stock head unit and install my new one, or direct me to a site where i can get this info. Thanx!
Old 10-05-2002, 08:00 PM

Lightbulb easy to do

things you'll need:
wire harness from best buy or some other audio place,
wire strippers
screw-driver

first pull the middle cover off, its the big thing around the stock player and shifter, now put that aside, you'll need that later.

then look to the side of the stock player, there should be 2 bolts or screws on either side, remove them. there should be 2 more under the little cubby hole thing.

you should be able to pull out the bracket holding the player and cubby hole, remover the wire harness from the back and take to screws out of the sides of the stock player.

attach new wire harness from best buy or where ever to the new one your player came with, you match colors its not to hard to do.

then re-install everything... it should take you about 30mins or so.
Old 10-05-2002, 08:51 PM

Circuit City sells some sweet *** wiring harnesses. You dont have to do ANY wiring at all. They have a plug that fits into your stock harness and a plug that fits directly into the back of the cd player. Those two harnesses connect to each other, leaving NO wiring for you to do.
Old 10-05-2002, 08:57 PM

cool thanx alot guys! im gonna see if i cant figure it out, but one more thing i read u should unplug the negative on your battery before you do anything on some other site, sounds logical but is it necessary?

Last edited by AzzySK; 10-05-2002 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:22 PM

and also...how would I go about pulling the middle covering around the stock player ac controls off? I got it off around the shifter but it seems stuck around the stock head unit and ac controls. is there screws or anything? or do I just pull it off?

Last edited by AzzySK; 10-05-2002 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by JeromeS13
Circuit City sells some sweet *** wiring harnesses. You dont have to do ANY wiring at all. They have a plug that fits into your stock harness and a plug that fits directly into the back of the cd player. Those two harnesses connect to each other, leaving NO wiring for you to do.
There are times that their jumpers do not fit the head unit you have bought. They also sell units that fit your stock head unit connector. All you will have to do is "bug" crimp the colors together to get it going.

I changed the stereo out in my civic. Damn FF button broke. I went to CC and got their jumper plug and wired it up. Totally painless.

They run about $15.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Did you try it yet? Its really easy in our car, pull the middle piece off, 4 screws to take the holder off, 4 screws to take the radio off. And do it in reverse. the wiring harness is the key. Its about 15 or so, probably cheaper and then you can do it yourself since all the wires will match. just get some electrical tape and you'll be alright.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

blah blah blah.... import is gonna do mine when i get it.... and ill learn... i hate trying it by myself... i have no confidence...
Old 10-07-2002, 12:50 PM

aight

ok cool, thanx guys...Im goin to get some harnesses today and get crackin on that.

-Peace Out
Old 10-09-2002, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

its easy as hell, i did mine in like 30 min.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

I think I will be changing mine after I move. I want some tunes in the 240 now that it is not going to be a track car.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Watch out on some of those harnesses, the one I got from crutchfield had the ground wire in the wrong place. I had to pull it out and stick it in the one next to it. Anyway it's easy as **** to do. Takes like 10 min. I got instruction sheets from crutchfield too. If any of you guys need instructions and ask nice enough I'll scan them for you.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by I'm with Stupid
Watch out on some of those harnesses, the one I got from crutchfield had the ground wire in the wrong place. I had to pull it out and stick it in the one next to it. Anyway it's easy as **** to do. Takes like 10 min. I got instruction sheets from crutchfield too. If any of you guys need instructions and ask nice enough I'll scan them for you.
Yeah scan those bad boys if you have a chance. I will sticky this when you do. It will help people.
Old 10-10-2002, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

Crap. I can't post them, the smallest I could get them is 2 mb each.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:16 AM

Quick Reply: CD deck self install help.