Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Head unit not working...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 01:47 AM

Head unit not working...

I had my car battery replaced since mine died. Before that digital and after market head unit are working fine. New battery goes in, digital clock and head unit no longer work.

Vehicle - S14 1996

What I trouble shooted -

Checked all fuses in kick panel and underneath the hood next to battery. I found that one 7.5A "Electron Battery" fuse was blown found in the Kick Panel. Everytime I replaced the 7.5A fuse and started the car it would blow out. I asked a friend about it. He said "well put in a 10A, I seen this before!"

I put in a 10A fuse in the 7.5A slot. Thing is, digital clock now works! Head unit still not functional. I open up radio bezel, pull head unit out making sure that no wires are touching or pinched. Nothing! All wires are fine, and head unit will still not power up. Any help or ideas as to why this is happening. Head unit is probably 2 yrs old, worked flawlessly up until I replaced the car battery. Any help would be appreciated thanks!
Old 04-25-2006, 01:54 AM

What kind of deck do you have? I had to charge my battery after the winter storage and my deck wouldn't turn on. No problems with my clock though. All fuses were fine then thats when I realized I was retarted. All I had to do was poke the little reset button with a tooth pick. Started right up. BTW I have an eclipse deck.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:03 AM

Pioneer DEH-1500, don't know where the reset button would be?
Old 04-25-2006, 10:16 AM

Not sure if all decks have one or not, I think most newer ones do. It should be right on the face, its very small you can hardly see it. Like I said you will have to press it with something small like a toothpick. Gl I felt like a jack *** not having any music for 2 weeks lol.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:29 PM

Did you check the fuse at the back of the radio? Probably a 10A red fuse just below the wire harness. It's usually covered up by the bottom of the plug.

Else if... You may try running a wire from your ignition harness. But to properly troubleshoot, you need to get a voltage meter, check your red(switch: will get power in ACC and IGN positions) and yellow(constant: will always have voltage regardless of key position) to see which one if any are not/getting voltage. Thatll make it easier to determine which wire you need to bring up from the ignition harness. Make sure the antenna is plugged and/or its properly grounded. The antenna usually makes a pretty good ground, but not the best.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:22 AM

Just checked that 2 days ago, that lil bastard was under the harness. So I bought a 3-pack of 10A mini blades ATM. Thing is everytime I put in a new fuse, smoke came out. So all 3 blew out after I put negative terminal back on and turned ignition key (each time).

I don't know why the 1st one blew in 1st place? Don't know what i was doing wrong? I think my head unit just lost the lead, and I must going to get another. Thanx none-the-less.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:42 AM

hmm, that sucks. But yeah, it does sound like you might need another one. I'd hate it, but i work at a shop and get em at cost.