hooking up a system.. - S-Chassis.com


Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Nickmerrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Langhorne, PA
Posts: 880
hooking up a system..

got a crappy headunit/decent amp/great sub...

500 watt jensen amp
dual crappy headunit
JL sub..

ran all the wires..plugged it in, and didn't work...

the amp power isn't turning on..I used an existing 12 volt(remote one from head unit), that stopped at the seats and just added more wire to it...wonder if its dicked some where? or would it still power up with the battery?

also i just drilled a new hole for my ground, is that alright? do i have to sand around it?

what could be my problem, and is there a stock amp too?
Nickmerrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:38 PM   #2  
Contributing Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Biggamehit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Misawa, Japan
Posts: 5,091
omg audio also.... stop it nick

jk

im not a audio guy.. may wanna go to 12volt.com
Biggamehit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Nickmerrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Langhorne, PA
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggamehit View Post
omg audio also.... stop it nick

jk

im not a audio guy.. may wanna go to 12volt.com
hahahaahahaha. that made me like pee my self.

but yeah i have LOTS OF PROBLEMS alright. haha.

give me credit for only being 15!
Nickmerrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #4  
Contributing Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: kennewick wa.
Posts: 2,323
dual is better than people think, jensen however is garbage. the remote wire is not intended to supply 12v to power anything. you need to get a direct connection from the battery for the amp then connect the remote b+ to the head unit.
jramosthe1st! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #5  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Nickmerrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Langhorne, PA
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by jramosthe1st! View Post
dual is better than people think, jensen however is garbage. the remote wire is not intended to supply 12v to power anything. you need to get a direct connection from the battery for the amp then connect the remote b+ to the head unit.
I have EVERYTHING Ran..
Nickmerrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #6  
Contributing Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: kennewick wa.
Posts: 2,323
it's not rocket science so if it's not working there are only two possibilities. you messed up or the equipment it fried, it's really that simple.
jramosthe1st! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Nickmerrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Langhorne, PA
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by jramosthe1st! View Post
it's not rocket science so if it's not working there are only two possibilities. you messed up or the equipment it fried, it's really that simple.
ight i think the amps blown, cause dude i bought it from was PRETTYYY shady.
Nickmerrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #8  
Contributing Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: kennewick wa.
Posts: 2,323
it's probably for the best because jensen really is garbage. there are plenty of good amps available from crutchfield.com. although generally speaking expect to pay $1 and change per watt on these amps. i've installed stereo systems within all price ranges on personal vehicles and on those of friends. so believe me when i say that the most important components are the head unit and wires.

then depending on how low and the intensity you want from the bass you can decide if you want to spend more money on a good amp. the speakers are really the last thing you should take into consideration. if your head unit sucks the amp will only amplify a weak signal which will sound like crap regardless of the speakers.
jramosthe1st! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #9  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Nickmerrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Langhorne, PA
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by jramosthe1st! View Post
it's probably for the best because jensen really is garbage. there are plenty of good amps available from crutchfield.com. although generally speaking expect to pay $1 and change per watt on these amps. i've installed stereo systems within all price ranges on personal vehicles and on those of friends. so believe me when i say that the most important components are the head unit and wires.

then depending on how low and the intensity you want from the bass you can decide if you want to spend more money on a good amp. the speakers are really the last thing you should take into consideration. if your head unit sucks the amp will only amplify a weak signal which will sound like crap regardless of the speakers.
Alright so my next purchase audio wise, is this head unit... cause its basic, and has mp3 alllll i neeeeed!

haha.


http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=7732

now to find an amp..
Nickmerrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #10  
Contributing Member
 
shaban's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,188
should just get a head unit with an AUX plug and plug an ipod to it.
but jensen and dual both suck.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #11  
Contributing Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: kennewick wa.
Posts: 2,323
some dual units do suck. the ones sold at walmart are not the same ones sold at bestbuy.
jramosthe1st! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #12  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Nickmerrone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Langhorne, PA
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaban View Post
should just get a head unit with an AUX plug and plug an ipod to it.
but jensen and dual both suck.
thats what the one im getting has, thats all i need and ill be happy
Nickmerrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #13  
Registered User
 
JapanS15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern Japan
Posts: 124
You're on the right track as far as troubleshooting is concerned. Here's the list of posiblities I can think of. If you have a multi-meter or a test light, check for power and ground at both battery and accessory ends of the wires. Check the ohms on the ground. Closer to zero ohms the better! Check your fuses on the amp and the car radio fuse. If everything is wired correctly and gain is turned up on the amp and still doesn't produce sound....Your amp is toast.


RECAP
1 - bad ground
2 - open (broken or not connected) wire(s)
3 - blown fuse(s)
4 - blown amp
JapanS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #14  
Contributing Member
 
shaban's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,188
Thanks for the input, a little late though
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #15  
Registered User
 
JapanS15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern Japan
Posts: 124
Yeah, I realized that after I hit reply. Oh well, hopefully someone else will search this thread in the future if they need the info.
JapanS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need info on hooking up a digital tach SmokedZenki General 8 03-19-2009 10:17 PM
hooking up greddy profec 2 alx517 Turbo Motor 0 12-18-2005 10:21 AM
Hooking up safc 2? Sileighty240 Service, Parts & Tuning Review 7 07-29-2004 06:30 PM
hooking up Tachometer s240r Engine Swaps 2 01-29-2004 09:45 PM
Hooking up a cd player spoolin on y0u Audio, Video and Security 1 06-11-2003 02:44 PM


Tags
1991, 240sx, amp, head, hooking, jensen, remote, stereo, unit, wire

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:07 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.