Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Jessicas 240SX

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

Lol, thanks--but it does seem like a lot of workkkkk. I remember when I was installing car audio...whoooo--and you're doing it for free. Lmao.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:23 PM

tell her you want a little RC action
Old 10-28-2005, 11:40 PM
Contributing Member

I second that notion.

...take pics.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

Maybe some IDP, too...ok maybe thats pushing it. Name:  banana.gif
Views: 3
Size:  1.6 KB
Old 10-29-2005, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

I gounded mine in the hatch, under the rug. Right near the rear wheel well, part of the frame is exposed.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by s13 240
tell her you want a little RC action

Hahhahh YES the trend has begun!
Old 10-30-2005, 02:59 PM

i grounded mine near where the car jack is behind the carpet.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Cape 240
Okay, the wire goes into the fire wall. To the left of the block, down pretty low there is a tube that comes out and points down. And there it ends, i think it has to do with vents. You go through there, and the wire will come out up near the passenger's feet, next to the center console. Run it from there, behind the panels, under the plastic sill-guard(and rug), behind the rear panel, and pop it up behind the rear seat, from under the rug.

Here is a short, crappy quality video to show you (kind-of) where in the firewall it is.
http://media.putfile.com/Speaker-wires

If you look DEAD CENTER in this picture (below) You'll see a silver braided wire, its going around a rubber seal, into the firewall.
Not tying to be an *** or any thing but you really should make a hole in the gourmet and put the wire thru because with time the wire might move around and the isolation on the wire could get worn and the wire short out and cause fire hazard
Old 10-31-2005, 12:16 PM

I feel like such an *** saying this...but I cant think of any other way to say it so I appologize ahead of time.

He's using a steel-braded wire cover. I dont think that'll be wearing away any time during my life. Might screw up the gourmet a lil tho.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:57 PM

g's its like a bunch of horny kids in here. But seriously you should get some for this cause the 240’s are a ***** to work with.

Anyway if the car is an automatic then you can go directly through the firewall where the clutch peddle goes. My car has the ABS system, and there is no room on the passenger side to get my arms in there to run a wire. Also when I ran my ground; I grounded the wire to the hump underneath the rear seat. (up high to make sure I did not run into wires or gas tanks… boom!)

Also for best results and the least amount of noise run the RCA wires and the power wires away from each other preferably not crossing. The 240sx is a noise powerhouse when it comes to aftermarket stereos. I ran all 5 of my wires through the center console but I also kept the wires separate; I now have absolutely no audible noise in my system. Also I ran extremely high current 0awg wire to compensate for not having a cap.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by ilikespeeding
I feel like such an *** saying this...but I cant think of any other way to say it so I appologize ahead of time.

He's using a steel-braded wire cover. I dont think that'll be wearing away any time during my life. Might screw up the gourmet a lil tho.
Looks to me like lightning audio wire with the braid on the inside of the wire (and it carries current) and clear insulation on the outside. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by 185db; 10-31-2005 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:08 PM

Heres what Im looking at to buy...any advice?

Subwoofers:
Rockford Fosgate RFZ3810 10-Inch Subwoofer
-or-
Sony XS-L107 10 inche Sub

Speakers
INFINITY 6402CF 4x6 Speakers (front)
AUDIOBAHN AS46Q 2- WAY 4X6 Speakers (rear)

Amp
Blaupunkt PA2200 Amplifier
RF is better than sony.
Infinity SOUNDS better than AudioBahn.
Blaupunkt amps have no *****.

Give me a price range and tell me what all you want/need; and I’ll give you a recommendation.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:02 AM

So far Ive collected 400 dollars...expected to reach 700 before the deadline of the 9th. My personal favorites are infinity and RF but that doesnt really matter cause all I know how to do with audio is install it (barely even that).

I always thought that wire covers had a cover over them to ease install and other reasons...I thought the order of insulation would be:

|outer insulation| |wire cover| |wire's insulation| |wire|
Old 11-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Its very heavy wire, nylon coated, steel braided, insulated, then wires. There is also an 80ohmz fuse in-line.

I can't remember which type it is, i think its Monstor Cable, but something tells me it was another brand. Don't really remember.

and don't worry, i know what i'm doing. no fires, why do you think its right at the "fire wall" ? god ...
Old 11-01-2005, 11:08 PM

So far Ive collected 400 dollars...expected to reach 700 before the deadline of the 9th. My personal favorites are infinity and RF but that doesnt really matter cause all I know how to do with audio is install it (barely even that).

I always thought that wire covers had a cover over them to ease install and other reasons...I thought the order of insulation would be:

|outer insulation| |wire cover| |wire's insulation| |wire|
Car audio wire is very simple, in order to keep costs down mostly. Most companies don’t even bother to put braided wire in at all. Most just have the actual wire and then insulation. Very high quality house wire sometimes has 2 layers of protection though most don’t. You can however put the outer layer of protection on the wire yourself; although it is rather expensive and hard to find braided stainless steel. The most common is black split tube loom, and there are several different colors of braided nylon tubing around as well.

Don’t get me wrong, Infinity is good stuff; it’s just that it is over priced and poorly made. RF on the other hand is MUCH better stuff but you will still pay for the name.

$700 is a good amount; from what I gather you need 1or 2 subs, a sub amp, 4 speakers 4x6”, wire kit, RCAs, and maybe an amp for the speakers?

My first thought for subs would be Boston Acoustics, G2 series subs. These subs don’t need a lot of power but will absolutely rattle you and your car. Also they are inexpensive.
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/c...&family_id=107

For speakers I would recommend Memphis audio 4x6” co-axels; as they have an inline crossover for sound quality. Also they are VERY competitively priced.
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/produ...ails.asp?id=18

As for amps I am just going to assume that you only need one for the sub/subs. I am going to recommend a Memphis 16-MCD500. This amp will drive 1 or 2 Boston Acoustics subs with ease and efficiency. If you use the boston Acoustics subs, then you need to use SVC (single voice coil) subs. If you use one then the amp will put out 250 Watts RMS and if you use 2 (and run them parallel) then it will put out 500 Watts RMS.
http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/produ...cat=&id=24&p=2

All of the items I have listed are on eBay for Very good prices.

Remember this is just my recommendation and the end product is your choice. I have a lot of personal experience with the 240sx sound, and with all the products I have listed for you. Some may not agree with me, but I know what I like and I know what sounds good to me. I have had many satisfied customers through the years.