Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Need help! Professional install v. DYI Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 03:19 PM

Exclamation Need help! Professional install v. DIY Install

Hey, I was going to buy some Pioneer 4x6's or 5.25's for my rear 89' hatch speakers. I don't want bumping bass, just clarity (The old ones are blown.)

I've done alot of research in the forums and it seems that everyone has had to make custom mounts for the rear, for both 4x6's and 5.25's. I was wondering if anyone has remodified the old mount to support the 4x6's OR 5.25's, and what the avg ETA for DIY installs were.

I was also wondering if the 5.25 speaker mod would still fit into the stock plastic housing/casing for the stock 4x6's?
I know the 4x6's would, but how would I make a custom mount for them to still be able to fit into the stock plastic housing/casing, and go through as little hassle as possible?

I'm really trying to avoid hassle wherever encountered, and was even considering professional install for the hatch speakers. CC and BBY rate their install prices around 30-40 bucks, but would they have to go through similiar custom mounting as I would to reinstall new speakers in the hatch?

I was also wondering if some people could also give me some pros and cons to DIY v. Professional install.

Input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by Flip_240Sex; 02-05-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:51 AM

I've never installed the rear hatch speakers in the stock locations , taken plenty out, due to the fact that they are so little. For installation, I would do it myself, its not difficult although it is a pain in the *** to work in the small area. As for 5.25 in the stock rear locations, I've never heard of anyone doing it. If you've ever taken off the rear speaker covers things are extremely tight back there, which is why many people go different routes for the rear speakers. You can try to make them fit under the stock cover but I doubt they will fit.

Last edited by Bryan; 02-05-2006 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

4x6 is stock speaker size for rear.

I have the Pioneer 3-way 4x6 back there ... they bolt right in if i remember correctly. The only thing that was a ***** was custom mounting the front. The 4x6 is plenty loud.

Shouldn't take more than 30min. if you're only replacing the rears. Don't pay somebody to do it, its a cake walk. --even if you have no mechanical ability, its still incredibly easy.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Cape 240
4x6 is stock speaker size for rear.

I have the Pioneer 3-way 4x6 back there ... they bolt right in if i remember correctly. The only thing that was a ***** was custom mounting the front. The 4x6 is plenty loud.

Shouldn't take more than 30min. if you're only replacing the rears. Don't pay somebody to do it, its a cake walk. --even if you have no mechanical ability, its still incredibly easy.
For your front speakers, do you have a speaker cover (the black mesh grill) for them?

Can u post some pics of it with the door frame back on and whatever your using to cover the speakers?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

I'm an installer for CC, and I do this everyday almost. It takes like 30 mins lol...it's not really hard at all, it's actually quite easy. Save yourself some money and DIY! Even if you've never done it before, you can probably feel your way through it.

240sx's are one of the easier cars to take rear speaker panels off. JUST DU-ET!
Old 02-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Flip_240Sex
For your front speakers, do you have a speaker cover (the black mesh grill) for them?

Can u post some pics of it with the door frame back on and whatever your using to cover the speakers?
1. Its the "Door Panel" not frame
2. It looks exactly the same.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Well i know for sure that Memphis audio, alpine, and pyramid speakers wont bolt right up to the stock locations...i tried em all. Im gonna just mount 2 6x9's in separate boxes on top of my sub box.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:21 PM

there is always the option of taking the side molding off (as i did today) i took a look for wierd crap in my car and boy did i have a find a water bottle golf ***** and wierd otehr stuff anyways. if you think its hard to get in there as i thought it is easily done to mod this if you have a dremel (ima buy one tomorow and get 6x9's) in the back well here is my story fella's if you take off all the interior screw's and caps for trunk interior work your way from the tail light area back to the front.

here you will find many clips that s13 has i have found that you will be easily be able to do one of two things.

take off all the speaker/ paneling this should take about 30 mins without breaking stuff then when done there are more screw's to get in there and take it out this will save you a world of time and im sure you can somehow make a custom bracket out of some sheet metal or something that fits the same old holes and then be able to fit them in tehre it will take you some time but will be worth the time in the end a big boost of sound and a take out of 4x6's and install 6x9's. my daily insight hope it helped.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:56 PM

idk why you guys are saying the fronts need custom mounted... i too am an installer at CC and to do the fronts, all ya do is gut the lil sissy amp thats in the speakers pod and almost any aftermarket speakers will fit with a lil persuasion. (both my 240s have been SE so idk if base has those lil amps) and the rears are not that bad... just be gentle with em
Old 02-23-2006, 09:10 AM

Isn't a mount recommended in the fronts for better sound quality and to help ensure the speakers are safe from rain and etc? I think I saw someone make one out of fiberglass, but that looks effin complicated.

I think im just going to do the rears myself, and if I can't do the fronts w/ the original mount (but modified), i'll be taking it to California Sound Works here in town. Thnx for the input tho guys!!
Old 02-27-2006, 09:34 PM

Alright so I got the rear speakers and I tried installing them but the mounting bolts are tight as hell, and no power tools or nub ply wrench or phillips will fit under that small a$$ hatch to unscrew them. It's like every time i try to unscrew them the screwdrivers or ply wrench are about to strip that bolt. So I quit.

Can I get some tips from a BB or CC installer? Or anyone that has replaced/took out the rear speakers?
Old 02-27-2006, 09:41 PM

rip off interior paneling for temporary time. Its tons better access.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:52 PM

Does anyone have pics of their gutted rear interior before they did this? To show how it would give me more room? I searched but came up with nothing =(.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:55 AM

i should be doing my rear speakers in a few days. ill see what i can do for ya, ok?