Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

power issue w/ pioneer flip out tv w/ ps2

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 09:55 PM

power issue w/ pioneer flip out tv w/ ps2

im having power issues when hooking ps2 up to my pioneer in dash dvd player. my friend who works at an installation place did the install for me but came up with power issues when trying to hook up the ps2. he said he had never had the problem before so i was wondering if it might have been a common problem in 240's.

...btw i have no experience with wiring in cars...

the problem is lines that come on the screen when the power source is from the car itself. when hooked up to an outside source of power the screen is clear. however, when hooked up to the power from the 240 there are lines across the screen which make it unplayable.

the power inverter was originally hooked up to the wires going to the amp powering my subs. the amp power is running directly from the battery. this produced lines.

the power inverter was then directly plugged into the cigarette lighter. this also produced lines. however, like i said when direct power is used from a wall its fine.

he had tried a few things to no avail. maybe you guys could help me out? thanks in advance
Old 11-29-2005, 12:33 PM

could it be the alternator? maybe you have too many things powered and your alternator can't power it all, even though from wat ive heard the 240 alternator isnt that weak. just a hunch since you said it works fine from an outside source.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:05 PM

Hey, how many watts does the inverter produce? That sounds like the inverter cannot produce the necessary power. What model in dash unit do you have? 6600, 7800?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:45 PM

i have the pioneer avh-p5700...i forgot to mention we tried a couple different inverters, one was of high wattage too, i forget the exact number...i want to say 700+ tho....
Old 11-30-2005, 10:22 PM

*assuming that the lines appear when the engine is both on and off*

here are a few things you can try:

different av inputs (av1,av2,s-video)
digital comb filter
put the inverter on the battery itself (fused)
video amplifier - it's a signal amplifier used when adding multiple screens
try another game system on it - someone elses ps2
separate all of your rca/speaker wires from your power wires- (this is where you get alternator whine from)
Also, make sure you set up the 5700 to accept the right type of video signal in the set up menu

besides that i cant really tell you much else unless i see it. I'm in DC if you ever wanna come by the shop.

and make sure your putting out the right amt. of volts (i think it's like 110v AC) at the inverter- Take a digital multimeter, put it on Aac 600 and put the test leads in the socket.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:06 AM

thanks a lot for you help i appreciate it, ill give those a shot.