Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Quick release steering wheels

Old 11-19-2005, 08:59 AM

exactly how I did the smaller holes, the big holes on the end just have red electrical tape over them...works ok, not the best I am just going to buy a new hatch...
Old 11-19-2005, 09:01 AM

so the bondo isn't strong enough to hold? because the previous owner of mine got a rust free hatch put on, and painted it black but it had a spoiler. i'm hoping i will be able to bondo/sand/paint and finish the back.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:07 AM

I'm sure it is, but I started and never finished due to it getting late and having to go to work, so its half assed until I get a new hatch

Last edited by Bryan; 11-19-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

back on topic. i pull my steering wheel off when i'm not in my area. i also take it off when i park my car at a friend's house or in front of my house. just like s13 240, if i know that i'm gonna be away from my car for a long time, then i'll take it off.
that's basically the reason i bought a qr- for security reasons. my city is in the top 5 (IIRC) in auto theft in the nation. yeah pretty alarming. when i'm out of town, i'm usually with friends. so what i do is put my steering wheel in my friend's trunk. i carry a backpack all the time just in case i don't have a place to put my steering wheel. better be safe than sorry.....with the 240 getting it's share of the limelight and all.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:27 PM
Contributing Member

ok, well are there any aftermarket steering wheels with a functional driver side airbag AND uses a QR hub?
Old 11-20-2005, 12:18 AM
Contributing Member

QR is usually seperate. And you're asking too much. If you want a QR, change your steering wheel and get a hub. If you want your airbag, don't change the steering wheel.

Good luck finding something like what you described, I doubt it exists. Think about it - it would be too much to develop an aftermarket steering wheel with an airbag for hundreds of different car makes and models.

And to add to everyone else above, I bought my steering wheel QR as an added measure along with my alarm.

When I park my car somewhere for awhile (movies, etc.) if I'm meeting up with friends, I just throw my steering wheel in their trunk - simple, effective. If I'm by myself and I go to the mall or whatever for awhile, I take the steering wheel off and I leave it in the back footwell. I know, why take it off if you're going to leave it in the car, but the trick here is knowing the position of the wheel when I took it off in the first place. My new QR is splined, and even if it looks like all the splines are identical, they're not. That'll add time to any would-be theives, plus with the alarm siren blaring inside and out, it would be unconfortable sitting there trying to figure out how to attach my steeering wheel.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by l2aine

Think about it - it would be too much to develop an aftermarket steering wheel with an airbag for hundreds of different car makes and models.
Yeah I guess that makes sense. I'm not all that familiar with exactly how different airbag systems work. I had just figured the airbag was in the steering wheel, and when it needed to be deployed, a signal would be sent to it to set it off. I was under the impression that the actual size of aftermarket steering wheels is the same within models regardless of application (except for the part that connects to the hub) so I didn't think it'd be that complicated to make wheels with airbags in them... it'd be great if somebody did, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd pick one up.

Last edited by CowboyTurbo; 11-20-2005 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:44 PM

a little late on this thread, but after reading i'm interested and a few thoughts and questions after reading.

one thing about taking the steering wheel off but leaving it in the trunk...any would be thieves would look in the window and kick themselves in the ***. im not quite sure if its worth their time to break into the car to check for the steering wheel elsewhere. either way it seems like a great security option to add, way more positives than negatives. additionally its great for when your car is parked in front of your house at night. if someone has been scoping out your car it makes it that much tougher. anything that delays them, if not stops is good in my opinion.

after reading this thread my only concerns would be the added 2 inches, i think that might annoy me a bit, does that bother anyone who has the QR now?

also i didn't see any mention of places to get the items required. are the ebay items good enough or is there a name brand you should go with for this stuff? if so what sites have it?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Contributing Member

if you go with the NRG type, it adds 2 inches. there's better, thinner versions that do not disorient your driving position as much, like FET or the one I have (forgot the brand)
Old 11-29-2005, 12:21 AM

im a lil late to this thread ... but my car never had an airbag so it doesnt matter and i have a QR...with no power steering...i dont think vice grips would stand a chance with my heavy steering and i usually lock the wheel in position first. but juss my opinion, i think it works, people rather go for easier cars to still. why go through the hastle of trying to steal a car with no steering wheel when 99.9% of the other cars have one.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by kable
a little late on this thread, but after reading i'm interested and a few thoughts and questions after reading.

one thing about taking the steering wheel off but leaving it in the trunk...any would be thieves would look in the window and kick themselves in the ***. im not quite sure if its worth their time to break into the car to check for the steering wheel elsewhere. either way it seems like a great security option to add, way more positives than negatives. additionally its great for when your car is parked in front of your house at night. if someone has been scoping out your car it makes it that much tougher. anything that delays them, if not stops is good in my opinion.

after reading this thread my only concerns would be the added 2 inches, i think that might annoy me a bit, does that bother anyone who has the QR now?

also i didn't see any mention of places to get the items required. are the ebay items good enough or is there a name brand you should go with for this stuff? if so what sites have it?
I have the FET on my car, along with the hub and the wheel its not much different from stock length. I'll try and get some comparison pics with the stock wheel later so you can see how it compares.