Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

rear speakers dont work

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 12:43 PM

rear speakers dont work

well im having a weird problem with my rear speakers. i bought the car and it had the stock head unit in it, and the rear speakers made no noise. i thought the guy i got it from had 6x9s in boxes on the hatch cover and just took them out, leaving me with no rear speakers. so i finaly got around to geting some speakers and when i went to instal them i discovered a nice set of polk speakers already instaled.

i cant figure out whats going on though. the headunit is sending power out to the rear speakers. i checked this with a test light. i went over the wiring i did to put my new head unit in, and everything seems to be fine with that.

i think it may be a grounding problem. is there a point in the rear where a bunch of the grounds go to that i could check. or any other ideas to what the problem could be? im stumped.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:32 AM

I just recently had this problem when putting the interior in the car. I bought my car and none of the speakers worked. I also had the stock head unit in it.

So i install the aftermarket head unit get everything put back in power it up............... Nothing!!! WTF!!!

So i start pulling door panels apart. What there seems to be is capaciters on each speaker fron and back. What I had to do was>

FRONT DOOR SPEAKERS:
1. Pull door apart and remove the speaker.
2. Remove the surround holding speaker to door.
3. Remove plug on this surround. On one side of the plug there is two wires. The other sid should have only one wire and the one below it is going to be empty. Turn power on to radio. Anyways take a volt meter and test those two wires. There should be like 5.8 volts or something close to that on both wires.
4. Note the color of those two wires. Look where on the back of the radio and find where those two wires are and determain which one is the ground and which is the positive.
5. Solder a extension and connect to speaker.
6. Turn power on and there should be sound.
7. Repeat on other door.
8. After this you will not need to plug that plug back in. You are pretty much bypassing all this stuff that is no longer working.

BACK SPEAKERS:

Now this was a little more difficult but here ya go best i know how to explain it.

Drivers side rear speaker:
1. On drivers side of car where speaker is. Remove speaker until you can see down in the area of the fender well. Look toward the back of the car in that little whole mounted at the top there is a box. It has a plug in it with a bunch of wires. This is the capaciter for both speakers. It is only on this side.
2. Remove that plug and turn your radio on.
3. Test all the wires and find the ones reading 5.8volts or something close to that. There should be 4.
4. Clip these four wires off. Now on the back of the radio find a set of positive and negative that match two of these 4 and soulder a extension and wire to speaker. Test and should work.

Passenger side rear speaker:
1. On that same clip there should be 2 wires of the four you cut left.
2. Remove passanger side rear speaker. Note the color of these two wires. They are not going to match the two left. But look on the clip that you removed in steps above, these two wire colors should be on there. what your going to have to do is cut these two off the clip and soulder it to the two left from earlier. But be sure to look at the back of the radio to make sure which one is positive and which is negative.
3. Now connect the speaker and it should work also.
4. You do not need to plug the connector back in either you have bypassed all the busted a$$ stuff.

This all sounds hard but is quite simple. Not saying this is your problem but was mine and how i fixed it. Maybe it will help you. But if there is allready 5 volts to each wire connected on the existing speakers then it might be the speakers. But even if they were blown you would at least have a hum out of them. Good luck hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:36 AM

the speakers are newer, not original. idk what the hell it is. the fronts are working though.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:02 PM

Make sure when you test for 5 volts in the speaker wires you have the meter set to read AC
Old 12-08-2004, 12:44 PM

well i talked to a good friend of the guy i bought the car from and he said that he rewired the rear speakers to run 6x9s in seperate boxes that he had sitting on the hatch cover. the 6x9s got stolen and i guess he never rewired the speakers back to the stock location. i guess im going to remove the rear interior and find out what kind of job he did with the wiring and hopefuly make it right agian. if i cant figure it out ill just run wire from the headunit to the speakers.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by 91coupe
Make sure when you test for 5 volts in the speaker wires you have the meter set to read AC
Just curious why AC. I was testing them in DC and getting 5V. Plus your car runs off of DC volts
Old 12-09-2004, 06:40 AM

if it's a powe thing your finding do DC, if it's speaker signal (sound) do AC
Old 12-09-2004, 11:17 AM

Cool, learn something new everyday. I just know i tested it with DC volts and got 5V. So that is what i went by. Thanks for the info.