Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Shorting Radio and Interior Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 10:44 PM

Angry Shorting Radio and Interior Lighting

i recently adopted a new problem.. i am getting shorts and blown fuses having to do with the interior light fuse and my radio..

i have an aftermarket cd player installed by circuit city(1st mistake) .. everything has been ok until a few days ago..

when i replace the fuse sometimes it will be ok for a few minutes, sometimes a day, and sometimes an instant blow.. so im guessing i have a short somewhere..

well i looked at the fms and this pic in particular

http://www.club240.com/forums/attach...&postid=228960

and found that the wire running from the light fuse is R/B in color that they used for the constant power connection..

now my question is .. what is R/B ? red/black or red/blue ?

i took out the cd player and were checking all wires for bare spots or bad connections and could find nothing.. there were several red/black wires and several red/blue wires...

any ideas on what i can check next .. so i can figure out why my **** keeps blowing fuses?

thanks.. sorry if i made that post confusing its getting pretty late..
Old 10-18-2005, 02:09 AM

from that picture you showed us, it looks like it is to be RED/BLACK, but I do have a question

and found that the wire running from the light fuse is R/B in color that they used for the constant power connection..
Is that wire coming from the fuse box, the radio, or the interior lights? And where is it going to?

I don't have a FMS, so I can't get a good look at it. (anyone want to sell one, or know where I can get one at? PM me!!! Thanks)
Old 10-18-2005, 07:38 AM

i downloaded mine.. from one of the 240 forums.. do a search and you will find it..

if you click on that link i put in my post it shows the wire is coming from the fuse box..
Old 10-22-2005, 10:58 PM

try check ur speaker wires. maybe the wires are touching eachother or grounding out on the doors or something. also make sure ur grd wire off the deck isnt longer than 18 inches. i have no idea wat else it could be. maybe try disconnect the deck and put in a new fuse and run the car?
Old 11-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Okay, the ground (if thats what grd is for) wire can be as long as you need it to be, the length isnt going to have much effect on the stereo...now, is there a wire for a dimmer thats hooked up? ive heard of stereo's blowing fuses and such because they hook up the dimmer wrong, or in some cases just hooking it up. Like toycar said, take out the stereo and run the car for a day and see what she does... But i would say circuit city screwed up the wiring on the stereo...places like that should **** off and die.