Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Is a sound system too heavy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 06:45 AM

Is a sound system too heavy?

Im thinking of getting a system that includes two 12's and a 1000 watt amp and just a sweet CD player...do you guys think that it will be too heavy..and will it mess up my performance...and how?
Old 11-17-2003, 07:12 AM

lol how? umm weight, and quite a bit of it.
its good for the winter though, weigh down the rear end
you gotta ask yourself what purpose is the car serving? daily driven? or drag?
if drag im sure no stereo but for a daily driven car, i know my stereo isnt going anywhere...i'll just boost it up some more to balance it out
Old 11-17-2003, 07:18 AM

well im gonna be doing a little bit of all things...drifting, drag, and a everyday driver...sooo...
Old 11-17-2003, 07:27 AM

so if its just a box, all you need to do is take it out for drag and drift, and put it back in after the event, no big deal unless youre looking for a custom setup that cant be taken out.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Doba's240
so if its just a box, all you need to do is take it out for drag and drift, and put it back in after the event, no big deal unless youre looking for a custom setup that cant be taken out.
Well spoken. A dual box with subs and an amp will run you ~40-100 pounds, which you can notice. And I always took mine out whenever I went to the strip, just unhooked the wiring. However, if you like hard cornering and drifting a little bit, you gotta make sure the box and amp are not gonna move around everywhere. As well, with 2 12"s you're gonna have to dynomat your car or it will sound like butt, which will weigh it down another ~15 pounds. My advice is 1 good 12" dual coil will fit your needs better, have better bass without too much weight. Remember a system is more than how much bass you have. . .

Dr.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:14 PM

Maybe you need to make sure your suspension is up to handle the extra weight and won't wear out much faster.....?

Just a thought.... Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

the extra pounds the system will add generally isn't a suspension worry, it'd be less than having a person in your back seat, and most people take out their spare tires when they add an audio system, so that would help a bit. that little weight isn't enough of a deal for suspension, although suspension is definately something you're going to want to do.

Dr.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:48 AM

thats basicly how i look at it

basicly its like having one of your smaller buddys or a chick in your back seat and driving around. do you notice a difference when they are there and when they are not? other then the fact that your alone not really.
and (2) 12's and a box depending on type of woofer arent going to make that huge of a difference. but like said above its nice to be able to take it out for the strip, but dont forget you need it to stay inplace when doing anykind of spirited driving.
Just my $.02
Josh
Old 11-18-2003, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by drnovascotia
Well spoken. A dual box with subs and an amp will run you ~40-100 pounds, which you can notice. And I always took mine out whenever I went to the strip, just unhooked the wiring. However, if you like hard cornering and drifting a little bit, you gotta make sure the box and amp are not gonna move around everywhere. As well, with 2 12"s you're gonna have to dynomat your car or it will sound like butt, which will weigh it down another ~15 pounds. My advice is 1 good 12" dual coil will fit your needs better, have better bass without too much weight. Remember a system is more than how much bass you have. . .

Dr.
Yes i soo agree with a single 12" **** get a square kicker and you will not be dissapointed, dog damn theyre loud.. i mean youre either drifting/racing or entering stereo competitions
you have to decide.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:13 AM

Sweet...how much are they...anyway...i got a W6 JL Audio 8"...i havnt tried it but i have heard ones just like it. And it out hit, two 12's......that **** was bad a hizell...
Old 11-18-2003, 10:08 AM

Dr. & Dounveeme:

Thanks for telling me that. I thought the balance of a car will always be affected by a killer system in the trunk.

I've never played with stereo system before so I didn't really know.

Maybe I should get a nice 10", too....
Old 11-18-2003, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

I don't see how an 8" sub can outhit a 2 12"s, it would be WAY more responsive because it's smaller, but no way a 8" can hit like 2 decent 12"s. The good and bad with 12's and 15's are they hit deeper, making the bass deeper, but also making them less responsive. Next system, I think i'll just do 1 10" to sound good, not just have bass that rattles my car so I can think i'm cool like most people out there. I'm now all about the overall system, component 6.5" with tweeters up front, 6X9's in the back, with 1 12" in the hatch, great highs, midbass and low's.

Dr.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:51 AM

u'd be surprized how accurate 12's,15's and 18's can be in the propper box. true its easier to just throw a 12 in a medium size and get great low bass but in a slightly larger box then recomended box a 10 can get equaly as low. of course it depends on the sub itself. same thing goes for bigger subs they can pound just as hard and accutrate as a 10 or an 8 in the right box.
and as for an 8 getting louder then 2 12's its easy to do if the 12's are in a crappy install (wrong box, improperly ported,weak amp, too small power and or ground wire,etc..) and the 8 is in an awsome install.
it doesnt matter how great your top dollar system is if it isnt in a good install.
you could honestly get cheap crap from the flea market and with the proper install make it sound really good.
just my $.02
Josh
Old 11-19-2003, 06:11 AM

Exactly what i was getting too...
Old 11-19-2003, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

yes, but I wasn't taking the rare chance someone had a awesome 8" install and the other a horrible 12", I was merely stating a 8" if normally done won't be the same. And you can't tell me a 10" hits as deep as a 15", because for the average sub this just isn't true. I totally agree that it depends on the install and box, I see people at my work putting dual coil 12's in TINY TINY boxes in their trucks that don't hit @ all.

However I still think my point holds true, and subs and systems from walmart don't count, heh.

Dr.

Quick Reply: Is a sound system too heavy?