Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

Sound Systems

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bumnah
Kickin' hardcore with this setup:

Added benefits: completely removable.
its illegal to where headphones while driving in virginia.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:06 PM

I dont have a system in my 240sx. But I have built countless big systems in other cars. Mostly trucks and suv's.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:01 PM

everything is illegal in va.

plus i only use it on long drives. i like it better with out the audio
Old 05-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by crazydrifter
its illegal to where headphones while driving in virginia.
i believe it's illegal to wear headphones in all states.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 05-22-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:14 AM

eh, i have a decent system i would like to think (every thing is 3+ years old):
alpine 9815 (i think)
infiniti kappa components in front (thicker speaker wire ran to the front)
infiniti kappa in back
PPI PCX4125 for the speakers
Sony 1000W for sub
10" kenwood tube sub (bypassed the amp and use the sony amp, the sub is like 10 years old)

I made a box for 2x12" rockford subs, but moved to texas a few months and moved back, so i just put in the 10" when i got home because i had NO trunk space with the 12s. The box i made was L-shaped, so there was a part that say in the space where the fuel pump is (that "shelf" in the trunk). also, with everything bouncing around, i think it killed my rear speaker connections.

because of the original weight in the back, i have plywood (1/4" i think, maybe 1/2") for the trunk "floor" instead of that cardboard stuff

as far as interior, it looks stock. i removed the old tweeters and hid the infiniti tweets behind that spot.

the highs are nice and crisp, but i don't want to sacrifice trunk space and put the 12s in, not right now at least.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:42 AM

here is my system
its not much or a huge system by any stretch.
but its clean IMO.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

That is actually a very clean setup. Did you fiberglass the bottom of the trunk where the spare tire is?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

corolla has...

pioneer head unit, RF punch amp, 10" pioneer sub, 6.5" pioneer components, 6.5" infinity speakers, four 1" dome tweeters.

it sounds alright, but i want more clarity, more ****ing quality.

how do crossovers work?

i also want to amplify my speakers, with like a 4 channel amp, whats the pros and cons to this?

help me out!!
Old 08-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

Cross overs basically separate the highs and mids and delivers the mids to your woofers (speakers) and the highs to the tweeters.

4 channel amp IMO is always better than just the stock head unit power. But if you want clarity, you have to find good stuff. And by no means, more power does not equal better clarity. Some of the competition equipment my buddy uses is not mainstream, but will dump on any fool alive. Plus its some of the most crisp, clear sounding equipment I've ever listened to.

Downside to running an amp, running wires from battery to amp, head unit to amp, amp to speakers etc. etc. You might also need a cap in there if youre running a lot of power. Distribution boxes for power and ground since youll want to cut down on the number of wires needed. Its just more work, but well worth it IMO.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by NiSmO Knight
Cross overs basically separate the highs and mids and delivers the mids to your woofers (speakers) and the highs to the tweeters.
that is exactly what i need!

4 channel amp IMO is always better than just the stock head unit power. But if you want clarity, you have to find good stuff. And by no means, more power does not equal better clarity. Some of the competition equipment my buddy uses is not mainstream, but will dump on any fool alive. Plus its some of the most crisp, clear sounding equipment I've ever listened to.
do you mind sharing his setup?

Downside to running an amp, running wires from battery to amp, head unit to amp, amp to speakers etc. etc. You might also need a cap in there if youre running a lot of power. Distribution boxes for power and ground since youll want to cut down on the number of wires needed. Its just more work, but well worth it IMO.
i kinda get what a cap does and what not, but what do you mean by distribution boxes?

dude, educate me on this **** man, ive been trying to do research on forums and **** but i cant find any decent car audio websites.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Let me know your price range for everything, I'll forward it to him and he'll get me HIS price (basically wholesale) The guy has like 20 or more subs in all size and shape sitting in his garage. He is the true definition of an audiophile LOL Seriously, let me know how much youre willing to spend on the system and he'll get you the best parts for the price. I can tell you, he was going to do 2 10s with a fat amp to give the 10s enough power to make all my panels rattle off, in a custom box that directs the air into the cabin, not the trunk... installed for 500. And those two 10s were considered overkill. With the rolla, I think a single 10 from him would destroy the car... but its up to you LOL

As for the cap, it basically just "stores" power so that when your subs hit hard, it wont over draw on the battery and alternator (all electrical parts wont "dim" low) The distribution box is basically where the main power line goes into and allows you to split into smaller power lines to power more than one amp etc. Most dist. boxes also act as a fuse box for each line.

One site my friend is on is called www.stevemeadedesigns.com a lot of big competition guys are on that forum. Not sure how much you can get out of there, but you might get something out of it I didnt. I just learned enough to get the basics down, enough to know how to hook up an audio system in the next car without trying to source **** straight out of Japan.