Audio, Video and Security Stereos, Subs, In-Dash Tv's and alarms

wiring up a stereo questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

wiring up a stereo questions

alright, well i just bought a brand new stereo. its a legacy LDC74USMP. i hooked up the switched 12v(blue) wire to the power wire on the stereo then grounded it out and it wont come on. i even went as far to run it straight to the batery and when i do that itll blow the stereo fuse. from what ive learned if you keep blowing fuses you have a short but how would it short out if its hooked straight up to the battery? im kinda stumped right now and dont know what im doing wrong. id appreciate some help. thanks

EDIT: im not expecting sound yet. i havent hooked up the speakers. but shouldnt the stereo come on?

Last edited by MS!3; 03-19-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:05 AM

Get a multimeter and test to see if your getting the correct voltage on the supposed wires, another alternative source for the a constant is the ignition harness just make sure you fuse it before tapping into it.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Be sure youre hooking up the CORRECT wires as well. Usually 12v switched is yellow. Blue is normally an amp remote turn on lead. And if that fails, its toast. Legacy isnt anything great either.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

alright i think i figured it out. i was getting my cousin to help me out and he said alotta the new stereos wont work unless the anttenna is hooked up. so ive gotta get an adapter for it to work.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:12 AM

all the antenna serves is a ground because there may not be a ground in the harness, Expecially in new nissan harnesses there isnt a pin out for ground.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

so are you saying hooking up the antenna wont do anything to make it work?
i think im gonna try it out becasue my cousin seemed to know what he was talking about. but if it doesnt i can always return the stereo. thanks for the help tho guys. a member of bossier clan is very greatful. haha
Old 03-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by LA_phantom_240
Be sure youre hooking up the CORRECT wires as well. Usually 12v switched is yellow. Blue is normally an amp remote turn on lead. And if that fails, its toast. Legacy isnt anything great either.

hmmm switched 12v is yellow? i got a diagram from another forum and it says its blue.

Constant 12V+ = Red/Black
Switched 12V+ = Blue
Ground = Chassis
Illumination = Red/Blue
Dimmer = Red/Yellow
Antenna Trigger = Black/Red

Front Speakers 4" x 6" Doors
Left Front (+) = Blue/White
Left Front (-) = Blue/Yellow
Right Front (+) = Brown
Right Front (-) = Brown/White

Rear Speakers 6 1/2" Rear Deck
Left Rear (+) = Red
Left Rear (-) = Green
Right Rear (+) = Blue
Right Rear (-) = Pink
Old 03-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

yup thats what i used.

however i had to combine both constant and switched 12v to make my JVC hand me down work bro.

try that.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

yea i heard that, didnt try it yet. i only have time to work on it on friday so thats when itll work, hopfully. man i bought my car a year ago and i still havent got a stereo hooked up yet. exhaust ftw? i think not. lol
Old 03-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 1993Coupe
hmmm switched 12v is yellow? i got a diagram from another forum and it says its blue.

Constant 12V+ = Red/Black
Switched 12V+ = Blue
Ground = Chassis
Illumination = Red/Blue
Dimmer = Red/Yellow
Antenna Trigger = Black/Red

Front Speakers 4" x 6" Doors
Left Front (+) = Blue/White
Left Front (-) = Blue/Yellow
Right Front (+) = Brown
Right Front (-) = Brown/White

Rear Speakers 6 1/2" Rear Deck
Left Rear (+) = Red
Left Rear (-) = Green
Right Rear (+) = Blue
Right Rear (-) = Pink
i'm almost positive he's refuring to the stereo wires being yellow +12v and the remote being blue.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Contributing Member

Wow man, like someone said before, make sure you've got the right wiring going on. Are you using a wiring harness, or are you cutting up your stock wiring? Do NOT cut up your stock wiring if you haven't already done so. That is no good; this is what they make wiring harnesses for.

Another question is: Do you have a factory amplifier?

Re-check your fuses before you start doing anything to make sure that they're all good. If you're blowing fuses, you've either got something that is 12v grounded, or there is somehow too much resistance running through your wiring.

Also like someone said before: Get a meter! Meter your constant 12v and switched 12v, if you can't get it from the radio harness, check fuses AGAIN, if all else fails, get it from the ignition switch. You'll be able to find the wiring diagrams online. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

mer, i got my cousin to check it out on friday and it still wont work. im not worried about it being hooked up right. it wont come on. i dunno but he said something about there possibly being to much resistance from the car into the stereo. frikin A dude, this ****s pissin me off. i want a stereo, lol we're gonna test all the wires and whatnot this week but back on topic about that antenna thing. he is almost positive my stereo wont work because i dont have an antenna. but then again hes not big on nissan. any other possibilities? im starting to think the stereo is defective or my wiring is fuct beyond belief. i dunno.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:52 PM

All the antenna provides is an ground. Run your own ground and that will take care of the no antenna problem. Radio will work without antenna's
Old 03-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

well ive got a ground so i guess thats out of the question then. thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 1993Coupe
im not worried about it being hooked up right.
Lol, in order for your radio to work, it needs to be hooked up correctly.

Ok lets start here: Were you able to get a meter and test for 12v constant and switched?

There are 3 things your radio needs to turn on. 12v constant, switched, and ground. That is all. The other wires are only for audio, illumination, and remote turn on.

If you're not getting 12v from your radio harness, get it from your ignition harness. I mean, as long as you're able to start the car, you've definitely got 12v there. Just print out a diagram. Make sure you have a good ground also.

If it's still not turning on, check the fuse on the radio itself. It could be blown.

If it's still not coming on, it's probably the radio.

Quick Reply: wiring up a stereo questions