S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Drifting (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/)
-   -   Is Drifting a passing fad? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/drifting-47/drifting-passing-fad-10280/)

drftr d 02-26-2004 10:02 AM

Is Drifting a passing fad?

Drftr d here.:devil:
I get regular magazines and in Sport Compact Car I read that some people think that Drifting is a passing fad. I want to hear some input from you guys on what you think. I believe that it is a passing fad only to people who do it to show off. I want to do it as a proffesional so it will never be a passing fad to real drifters!

Drftr d out!:devil:

-HyJynX- 02-26-2004 10:46 AM

Im just a drifting hobbist. And like you said, its a fad to most of the people that do it to show off and to people that are "jumping on the band wagon"

NcTwOfOuRtY 02-26-2004 12:17 PM

well for some it may be a passing fad but for those who picked it up and truly enjoy it it wont be a passing fad..as for me I was into it before I even had my license which was before it really even hit the US, after watchin some kazaa videos at my cousin of some mountain driftin i was hooked and wanted to learn more and now here i am experiencing it first hand and i dont plan on quiting no time soon just cause it fades away, if it ever does that is.

matt180sx 02-26-2004 04:16 PM

i think it will pass for all the guys who are buying drifters to drift for show as soon as they figure out they will hit curbs, cones and guardrails only having to fix the broken parts and then not be able to afford algayzza tails and indiglow gauges. i do think it will stick for the true enthusiast who wants to learn a new driving technique and are bored straightaway racing. i also think it will grow into a more accepted mainstream sport and be supported by organazations and tracks.

DriftS14 02-26-2004 06:00 PM

just look what happend with NIRA...
Had a nice underground group for years....
Got BIG real quick (sponsers and "Stars" like Adam Saruwhatever his name was etc..)
Now NIRA is gone..
But there are still those that take it seriously going out there..
I predict that "Drifting" will lose all of the "band wagon" jumpers in a little while.
But then again, isn't EVERY thing a big bandwagon??? I mean can any one on this forum HONOSTLY say they didn't jump on it also??
Last I checked it all started with some japanese guys who got bored..

*EDIT* And before any eats my ass.. YES I JUMPED ON IT TOO!!!!!!

areitu 02-26-2004 06:36 PM

Yep. My honda-driving friend got on the band-wagon. It's actually extremely annoying becaue he wants to spend a few grand on his car before he starts drifting. Wait'll he hits something after he blows $1500 on a five-lug conversion.

Drifting is definitely a fad will probably stick around for a little bit. Kinda like how everyone was suddenly into HOndas and now it's like "Eh." But you have to think: The automotive industry is actively forcing drifting down peoples' throats right now. Everyone and their brother wants a RWD SR20 Nissan because that's what mAd tYte drifters have...even though if people were serious about drifting, they'd use old Mustangs and Camaros (then an aftermarket for suspension would develop...)

gladhatter 02-26-2004 09:47 PM

EVERYthing is a passing fad. Somethings last a bit longer than others. Drifting will be around for quite some time. I think this is because it is a motorsport that can be participated in by the "ordinary Joe". You don't have to be a NASCAR millionaire to do it.

turbonetics1984 02-28-2004 12:32 AM

i think that once they realize that one mistake could ruin their car
they wont like drifting anymore.

Dounveeme 02-28-2004 11:24 AM

the thing that made it a fad and started buggin me about it is when it bacame so mainstream. and made all the honda people look at nissan's in a new light. now all the idiot honda wannabe street racers have turned into "drifters" and more and more when i see beater riced 240's when the car i have used to be rare and specail. thats whats making it a fad and yes to those idiots it will pass cuz they wreck and realize it isnt as easy as it looks so to them it will be lame. thne what? back to the honda's so we true nissan enthusiests (sp) will once again be the true rulers of the streets & tracks lol

Bevan 02-28-2004 02:32 PM

Me being new I guess this would be a good first post

I am more intrested in doing the swap and seeing the outcome,But of course I want to learn to drift:naughty: :dunno:

irax 02-28-2004 11:14 PM

acualy, i bought the car and didnt know what drifting was.. till for some reason i looked on kaZaa for "240sx" videos and i got drifting.. i allways have been a big fan of the WRC.. and since drifting has origins from the WRC i decided to try it out, and find out more.. and i just fell in love.. and its my first car so... yeah

StanBo 02-29-2004 08:52 AM

Fad my ass.

I just got taken invited to join another drift crew.

R.A.D.

They are here to stay.

http://www.importfanatix.com/assets/.../BIG%20RAD.jpg

l2aine 03-01-2004 10:47 PM

only a fad to those who got into it because it was the "new thing"... when in reality it wasn't new at all.

Dounveeme 03-02-2004 06:52 PM

Originally posted by l2aine
only a fad to those who got into it because it was the "new thing"... when in reality it wasn't new at all.
Couldnt have EVER said it better myself. and those people are the ones that are gonna give us a bad name. just like the jerks who blast their systems in residential areas and piss people off mess it up for all the audiofphiles. just like all the idiot street wannabe street racers who thought it was the "NEW THING" when the f&f came out n gave us tuners a bad name. theres always some idiot out to ruin it for the good honest people.

Jeffro 03-22-2004 01:49 PM

Its not a passing fad...It has been around since mid 1900's...it just used to be called powersliding! hahahahahaha

gladhatter 03-22-2004 02:43 PM

Now THIS is a fad!!
http://scooter-usa.com/2004%20A-2.jpg
Drifting is NOT quite the same.

SneakyMilo 03-22-2004 05:30 PM

Drifting isn't a passing fad for one main reason. A significant amount of people drifted before it was popular. Those who fall in love with it will always do it.

However the bandwagon drifters will probably fade out. Hopefully. I can't call myself a drifter, yet. I hope to get into it but currently I am just trying to keep my 240 in good running shape. Drifting puts way to must stress on 13 year old parts for me to try drifting until I get upgraded.

l2aine 03-22-2004 09:01 PM

Originally posted by SneakyMilo
Drifting isn't a passing fad for one main reason. A significant amount of people drifted before it was popular. Those who fall in love with it will always do it.

However the bandwagon drifters will probably fade out. Hopefully. I can't call myself a drifter, yet. I hope to get into it but currently I am just trying to keep my 240 in good running shape. Drifting puts way to must stress on 13 year old parts for me to try drifting until I get upgraded.

Drifting is only a "fad" to those who have only been exposed to it recently because of D1 and how the Import magazines shoved it down everyone's throats... to those of us who knew of drifting years back (I for one) it was never a fad. And I agree, once the bandwagoners fade out, drifting will still be around.

rps13VEk 03-22-2004 09:21 PM

Drifting is whatever you make it. IF ANYTHING ITS A FAD TO THOSE WHO QUESTION IF ITS A FAD. Drifting is drifting, love it or hate it, it will be around forever, regardless of its following. Remember how cool street racing before Fast and the Furious? Probably not because you didnt know about before that. People were street racing before that silly movie. And people have been drifting since before you got a hold of Import Tuner and learned what "Touge" meant.

I mean really, who gives a **** who thinks its a fad or not. If you like it then do it. But at least no what you are doing! Drifting will have a falling out because of kids trying to do it in unsafe areas. Everyday I hear that kids saying how they want to learn to drift so they can "show-off" at the street races. This will inevitably ruin it for everyone smart. Just be ready for it because I gaurantee you its coming, mark my words!

drftr d 03-23-2004 11:35 AM

Like you guys said, I think it isn't a fad because of the already huge amount of people who did it before all the hype. It will always be fun to the people who always did it. I bought my car and wanted to learn more about it and in return got into drifting. Now I'm a real fan, I always liked rally but now I really into drifting and want to continue learning and getting better at it. I just hope it doesn't die down. Just look what the fast and furious did to street racing. Now nobody can do it secretly without the po-pos showing up. I hope drifting stays low.

swannjay 04-10-2004 01:21 AM

i kind of always knew what drifters were. in my hometown, theres the Gang Riders, Low Riders, Vanning, VIP cars, truck "yarou", drifters, racers and more recently, ricers. we had some idea of what drifters were, we just thought they went around hitting guard rails with their cars. thats how it was explained to me by a friend back in 9th grade. the way to tell if they are a drifter, look for fender benders and black wheels
(looking back, i think those were Watanabe). and what do you know, my friends all started drifting Senior year. and I picked up some drifting tidbits here and there.

thats just my personal point-of-view. i knew they were around but, didnt care too much about drifting. just not my thing i guess. but, i've always liked drag racing and the S14b. its my favorite Silvia. whaddyaknow? i own one now. does that make me a drifter? no. thats the ONLY thing that ticks me off about the stateside drift scene. people stopping next to me at a redlight to ask me where i drift. just my .02

l2aine 04-11-2004 03:53 PM

Originally posted by swannjay
i kind of always knew what drifters were. in my hometown, theres the Gang Riders, Low Riders, Vanning, VIP cars, truck "yarou", drifters, racers and more recently, ricers. we had some idea of what drifters were, we just thought they went around hitting guard rails with their cars. thats how it was explained to me by a friend back in 9th grade. the way to tell if they are a drifter, look for fender benders and black wheels
(looking back, i think those were Watanabe). and what do you know, my friends all started drifting Senior year. and I picked up some drifting tidbits here and there.

thats just my personal point-of-view. i knew they were around but, didnt care too much about drifting. just not my thing i guess. but, i've always liked drag racing and the S14b. its my favorite Silvia. whaddyaknow? i own one now. does that make me a drifter? no. thats the ONLY thing that ticks me off about the stateside drift scene. people stopping next to me at a redlight to ask me where i drift. just my .02

Whenever someone asks something like that (usually some high schooler) I just laugh and continue about my business... it's usually followed up by the other usual questions like "you got an SR in thuuurrrr?"

I choose to amuse myself whenever someone like that comes around. I save the hate for the Hondas :laugh:

SneakyMilo 04-15-2004 11:45 AM

Agreed. I love driving around in my bone-stock (as of now) s13 and having these lil guys driving ford festivas asking "yo dude, what engine you got in there?"

Oh well if they want to admire my 14 year old hatch with absolutely nothing done to it, I am not gonna stop em ;)

BTW, I live in a very honda crazy town so it is rare to see 240's or nissans in general.

needasr20 04-18-2004 09:37 AM

blah who cares.. lets go driftttt.. yesterday i fell off the road.. but ohwell.. thats why i buy used tires.. spray paint my car myself b/c shiitttt.. i'm beatin my car uppppp...

i think it's gonna grow to sumthin like scca solo x.. it'll be a weekend thing.. just take your car out kick it around and then drive it home... some ppl will do it for fun.. and a few ppl will do it as a living.. other ppl will allllwwways be at the track,,, but all they will do is watch .... but whatever.. long as i can do it i dont care how big it is.. i'll be there with all 12 ppl if thats all thats left when the FAD wears out.. in my busted 13.. lsd anyone ?

kramsuey2268 04-20-2004 11:59 PM

Originally posted by irax
acualy, i bought the car and didnt know what drifting was.. till for some reason i looked on kaZaa for "240sx" videos and i got drifting.. i allways have been a big fan of the WRC.. and since drifting has origins from the WRC i decided to try it out, and find out more.. and i just fell in love.. and its my first car so... yeah
word for word....everything u said expalins how i got into it....except its not my first car. I bought my 240sx not even knowing that they were used as avid drifting cars...hell, i didnt even know what drifting was...but now after finding friends with other 240's that have showed me the way of drift , i now love this so called "fad"

Sirikool 05-04-2004 12:55 PM

Man, I hate it when there are posers out there. Not saying that any of u guys are posers, but it's true that when something is new and popular thats like the only reason ppl get into it. I hope Drifting doesn't turn out to be another Tony Hawk thing.

P.S. Pokemon Still Owns.

needasr20 05-05-2004 05:59 PM

not startin crap but whats wrong wit tony hawk?. i dont skate so dont put that on me.. i just dont get it

l2aine 05-05-2004 09:42 PM

Originally posted by needasr20
not startin crap but whats wrong wit tony hawk?. i dont skate so dont put that on me.. i just dont get it
Tony Hawk 4 Underground is pretty fun :D

drftr d 05-07-2004 11:46 AM

Man, thats how I got started. I got my car and wanted to find parts. I saw these drift spec 240's and wanted to see what it was all about. I knew about drifting here and there but I wasn't interested enough to care. When I found drifting I liked it because it was more exciting than street racing. I became a real fan when I tried to learn more about it and got all these videos with 240's and 180's. I was like man I wish I had stick so I could do it. Then I learned you dont need stick, you don't even need mods on your car. That's when I started drifting, who cares what people think I am going to drift no matter what!

drftr d 05-07-2004 11:50 AM

.....and by the way scooters are coming back big time....OH YEAH!!!

devnull 05-09-2004 02:53 AM

Originally posted by Sirikool
P.S. Pokemon Still Owns.
Ban please :D

J/K

If you're into pokemon it's cool with me.
I just have a distaste for the following:
Dubbed anime
Any series that was designed to sell a card game (Yugioh, etc.)
Dragon Ball, DBZ, DBGT

/OT

-HyJynX- 05-09-2004 10:39 AM

Originally posted by drftr d
.....and by the way scooters are coming back big time....OH YEAH!!!
Scooters are coming back! the reason so is because its the easiest way to travel across a drift event haha:DSeriously

Sirikool 05-10-2004 12:25 AM

Originally posted by devnull
Ban please :D

J/K

If you're into pokemon it's cool with me.
I just have a distaste for the following:
Dubbed anime
Any series that was designed to sell a card game (Yugioh, etc.)
Dragon Ball, DBZ, DBGT

/OT

Some Dubbed animes are funny. After watching the good version, just watch the dubbed ones. Such a horrible job. Well, except for Pioneer (they're decent).

P.S. Card Games Own too. hahahaha. Imagine Yugioh Card Game Tourneys being played @ Drift events... And every kid brought scooters with them.

devnull 05-10-2004 09:22 PM

Originally posted by Sirikool
P.S. Card Games Own too. hahahaha. Imagine Yugioh Card Game Tourneys being played @ Drift events... And every kid brought scooters with them.
Well...as long as you don't say that you like Dragon Ball I won't have contempt or pity for you. ;)

Sirikool 05-11-2004 06:42 PM

Originally posted by devnull
Well...as long as you don't say that you like Dragon Ball I won't have contempt or pity for you. ;)
Did u say Dragon Ball? :D :D :D :D :D

devnull 05-11-2004 09:30 PM

*sigh*

Yet another mind wasted by a terrible anime.

bizlur 05-15-2004 08:51 AM

Drifting a fad? Yea right... maybe drift competitions, but still doubtful. Drifting is part of racing, its not just something like donuts, it is a usefull part of taking turns at higher speeds. It's like burnouts... they never get old, it is something that is fun and it a crowd pleaser. As long as there are RWD cars there will be drifting. So... definatly not a fad.

-HyJynX- 05-15-2004 11:23 AM

Originally posted by bizlur
it is a usefull part of taking turns at higher speeds.
Not in all cases!

l2aine 05-15-2004 06:21 PM

uh oh... here we go with this one again :p

-HyJynX- 05-15-2004 06:47 PM

Originally posted by l2aine
uh oh... here we go with this one again :p
Its a once a month thing eh?