Drifting Like to go sideways? Check this forum out.

Is Drifting a passing fad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 09:32 PM

Ah, I may have missed my point. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking you guys into drifting. I know it takes skill and tallent and the ability to set up a car right as any other sport. My point is its always been around in one way or another and with you people knocking the newbs is a surefire way to send it back to the underground where you wont have any place to do it. People will always come and go and only those with thier hearts in it will make it to the top, same as any other sport. Auto racing will inevitably forever be more popular though because the goal is much simpler. Get to the finish line 1st, win!
Old 05-18-2004, 12:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by fugitive240
Drifting is to motor sports what figure skating is to hockey.
Holy sht, you hit the nail on the head! Thats exactly what it is.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:24 PM

about that 60's drift stuff.. my dad told me the same thing and i ragged on him .. sayin it wasnt the same.. but check this out ... speedvision special on mustangs (i think it was mustangs) anyways black and white video clip.. mustang cranked out sideways and my dad looks at me and goes told ya.. it was straight drift style.. the flicked it and rode it to the end.. .. but yeah who cares if it's a fad .. or not ... you do it . i do it we all do it .. so lets just be happy and crooked.. you aint drivin right unless your lookin out your passanger window.. or driver window in my case when i smacked thats curb yesterday
Old 05-18-2004, 07:27 PM

True on that mustang stuff, I know generally imports are the main cars of choice but I just read a article on how you can properly set up a mustang to drift. I don't like domestics but I can see how people like Rys Millen are trying to bring domestics into the game. I really don't care what car you use as long as you have the skill to be the best.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

I agree... Rhys went against the norm by garaging his Supra for a Pontiac, and the first time he came out with the car, I remember hearing more jeers than cheers - and it kinda made me feel bad because if you think about it Rhys was trying to bring drifting to a broader audience. Even Drift King (I think it was him, or Dai Inada) got a little upset that the US crowd was booing Rhys, and with good reason. I don't think it's about the car either - the fact is, Rhys was still out there drifting. Just like that guy who brought out that 80's Daihatsu. At least they're drifting... which I'd bet 90% of the people booing don't even have a chance at drifting even halfway as good as Rhys and the Daihatsu guy.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:29 AM

Tru Dat, He might not be the best or have a certain car that people like but at least he has the ***** to go out and take all the booing in tha ***. Plus, his car has like 500hp, its big, and it's heavier than most cars out there so it takes a lot more skill to drift. If Rys had a 240 or Hachi- Roku he could probably hang with the best of them. He is just choosing to be different so when you see him you know who he is. The supra still isn't out though I do believe he is letting Dai Inada use it. Drifting is Drifting, no matter what car or what person.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

wait your saying that a 86 would be better than Millen's super modifed GTO? Have you seen what he has done to it.

I am sorry bandwagonjump d but the 86 isnt all people say it is and is nothing compared to Millens GTO.

also get it out of your head that drifting is an import thing cause a Viper won the last Formula D.

All you ned to drift is a car (rwd is best)
an LSD
and suspention

who cares who makes the car, well exept ignorant ricers.

Last edited by Catharsis; 05-19-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Catharsis
wait your saying that a 86 would be better than Millen's super modifed GTO? Have you seen what he has done to it.

I am sorry bandwagonjump d but the 86 isnt all people say it is and is nothing compared to Millens GTO.

also get it out of your head that drifting is an import thing cause a Viper won the last Formula D.

All you ned to drift is a car (rwd is best)
an LSD
and suspention

who cares who makes the car, well exept ignorant ricers.
It's really hard to say if anyone would be better with a ____ car as opposed to a ____ car. In Rhys case, I think he did pretty damn good for having a car that was basically put together overnight. They did so much to that car in such little time, and yet he had the skills to drive it and hang with the other drivers who have been driving 1 car much longer.

And I agree with Cath on his second and third comments. Just because an AE has been glamourized by Initial D and Ueo and Drift King etc. you have to remember that by technology alone, an 86 is already 16+ years behind compared to a monster 500hp GTO. Plus again, Rhys hasn't been with the GTO as long as, say, Ueo and his 86.

And in no way is Drifting an "Import thing". Just because the going belief is that drifting started in Japan, that doesn't mean that some Swedish dude in a wagon wasn't doing it around sheep at 4am on a farm somewhere.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

i doubt he would have done any better in any other car. i mean have you seen the work he did on that?
Old 05-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Catharsis
i doubt he would have done any better in any other car. i mean have you seen the work he did on that?
I dont know if its just me, but it seems like Ryhs likes heavy cars. First he drove the Supra for a few months, heavy car, now he drives a GTO(Which he kicks *** in!)also a heavy car...evern heavier then the supra. I like Ryhs' style, and he is freaking tall compared to me lol.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:39 AM

Did you say that the Viper won? I thought Yasayuki Kazama won in the green S15 because he beat Taniguchi who drives the HKS S15. Is the viper your talking about the Benihana one? Cuz at the 2004 D1 Grand Prix Kazama won. As for Rhys I'm glad to see him out there representin' us U.S. drifters. In a way I love heavy cars, I love Ueno's Toyota; that car is pimp. I saw the work Rhys did on the gto and its awesome. Now as for the 86 versus his gto thats a battle I would have to see for myself, but it's not just the car it is the drivers experiance level too. That can make all the difference.

Last edited by drftr d; 05-20-2004 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:08 AM

....But the one thing that gets me is how these guys with these big *** cars can hang with the more nimble smaller ones. I would never drift a car that big, I guess the skill level matters. I think i'll just stick to my 240 for now.

...and I'm not sayin a 86 is better than his GTO. I'm just saying that the skill level he has to have to drift that GTO, if you put him in 86 or silvia he would woop more *** than he is now. I think he should still stick to the GTO. Don't you think with all these musclcars coming into the game that drifting will get exploited though? Now that people see GTO's and Vipers they can come to believe that anybody can do it in any car as long as it has rear wheel drive. It might turn into another nascar. I just hope it stays at the level it is at now. Like fugitive240 said how drifting is like ice skating to hockey. It should stay that way.

Last edited by drftr d; 05-20-2004 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by drftr d
Did you say that the Viper won? I thought Yasayuki Kazama won in the green S15 because he beat Taniguchi who drives the HKS S15. Is the viper your talking about the Benihana one? Cuz at the 2004 D1 Grand Prix Kazama won. As for Rhys I'm glad to see him out there representin' us U.S. drifters. In a way I love heavy cars, I love Ueno's Toyota; that car is pimp. I saw the work Rhys did on the gto and its awesome. Now as for the 86 versus his gto thats a battle I would have to see for myself, but it's not just the car it is the drivers experiance level too. That can make all the difference.
He said "Formula D", not "D1".

an I just noticed I keep confusing Ueo and Ueno although I know which guy I'm talking about LOL
Old 05-20-2004, 09:43 AM

Power to weight ratio has some to do with it

but mostly driver skill.. just like any car you drive it drive it drive it... and you get used to it. I admire anyone willing to drive something new.. thats not been done regularly.

is drifting here to stay??
haha

Im in japan so I get to miss all the frantic furry that goes on. I really could care a less if it stays in the mainstream.. but when the sun goes down and the people go to bed. Im going to be out there driving weither other people are not. I am hooked and I usually drive in the mountains and circuit about 13 times a month. 3 nights a week in the mountains for as long as I want and 1 time a month at the track.

is drifting a passing fad? or is drifting a passing fad for you??

I encourage as many people to try it as possible, responsably. BUT, it takes skill and ALOT of time.. are you willing to put up? I think its awesome that drifting is alive and doing well in the states. Makes me want to return to the states and be apart of it. if it sticks around great!! but realize that there are people all over the world that are practicing.. and if the money is there. .. they WILL come to the US.

its a business and it is a business for D1 in japan as well.. if it did not make money do you really think that they would come to the US!?

This is the best time to improve for YOU and to drive with the best people in the states.. learn as much as you can.. if you goal is to be driving a works car.. DO IT.. if you dont want to compete DONT.. but no need to bash anyone for their decisions. I dont know.. I am sleepy as hell.. its 2am here and my brain is fried.. GOOD LUCK to all the drivers in the states

One thing I like to take from japan is a sence of being humble and a sence of doing things until its perfect.

I am very excited because I am now a kohai / and my sempai is a professional quality driver. I LOVE this sport and its soooo much fun to nail turns. I have imporved alot in 2 years but I still need soooooo much practice. For me.. my goal is to be smooth as ice. to be totally relaxed at 150 km/h at starting speed drifts. GOD I love driving it is so much fun.. how can you not love it!! GET in your car.. reving thru the gears. yanking the side brake and getting your tires up on ice!! thats how it feels when your hauling ***!! heading right toward a wall and just miss it.. locking it right on the apex back to the outside dropping one back wheel off the track.. connecting a series of 8 turns .. then turning around and go again!! this is some awesome fun ****!!! GOD IM SO SIKED .. I got my friends sokkokai in a week and IM SO SIKED!! aaaaaahhhhhhhh I could explode right now if it was not wet outside I wouldb e going ... aaaaaaahhhhhh
Old 05-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

...ok.

Quick Reply: Is Drifting a passing fad?