Drifting Like to go sideways? Check this forum out.

Technical Tips for drifters.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 12:09 AM

Technical Tips for drifters.

I just wanted to share some basic technical tips with you all.

Here are some things that I learned while drifting and from others....

Know if you are a brake drifter or power drifter.
Brake drifter (usually beginners)= people who use their rear brakes while drifting.
Tip for brake drifters. Get Z32 rear calipers because when you use em on 240s they tend to lock before front brakes, while you still have steering. If you do this you don’t have to worry about pulling E brakes and you can pay attention to other things.

Power drift (Pros)= People who use rear wheel power to drift around corners. (I really don’t have a tip for these guys because I think they need to teach me)

Tips for all.
1. About alignment, if you are serious about drifting get adjustable camber/ caster plates, because little neg. camber is very good for drifting.
2. Body roll is killer, so get rid of it. (Thicker sway bars, strut bars, better shocks, springs, control arms etc)
3. Get some spacers in front, its gives you better control while sliding. Like they say WIDER is BETTER
4. Light rear end is better, so take your heavy wing or speakers out. If you have ever driven a mid engine car then you know what I am talking about.

There is lot more stuff but these are basic things or mods you should consider if you are serious about drifting.

Please do write back.

Thanks,
JR
Old 08-26-2003, 11:29 PM

and you call me a wanna be drifter and you cant even power drift?
dude did i hit a nerve on the sr thing or what?

from what you just posted it seems to me that you are a "WANNA BE DRIFTER" seeing how you say that you cannot do all the drifting technics. these are all basic ideas in drifting. i was able to do 90% of the the technics posted by you in a matter of 24hrs.

i've been drifting for a couple years now so don't start crap with me on other threads about someone you have no idea about.

nuff said..........
Old 08-26-2003, 11:58 PM

damn shift, u rule, i wanna make u a sig.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by SHIFT_Lock

from what you just posted it seems to me that you are a "WANNA BE DRIFTER" seeing how you say that you cannot do all the drifting technics. these are all basic ideas in drifting. i was able to do 90% of the the technics posted by you in a matter of 24hrs.

i've been drifting for a couple years now so don't start crap with me on other threads about someone you have no idea about.

nuff said..........
Them sound like fightin' words...LETS GET IT ON..I want a tough, clean fight..
Old 08-27-2003, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

nuff said..........
*ahem* can you say...

0wn3d!!
Old 08-27-2003, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

i know i love to brake drift...but not in the retarded way that guy talks about

using your front brakes to shift weight in corners

that guy really needs to read up a little more

Old 08-27-2003, 04:02 PM

nuff said..........
Read carefully stupid, I didn't say I didn't know how to drift. AND I don't drift? And quit assuming stuff.

Drift is for low to mid end power car. And requires no mods to engine. and I am all about top end. Real racing stuff.

I Only Road Race at Mid Ohio track, drag and Top Speed.

Oh one more thing I graduated from Mid Ohio raceway. I can drift very well sir. My instructor recommended, those things that I listed above, I am sure he knows more than you about driving or drifting or setting up a car.

You guys make me laugh man.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SR22 powered
Read carefully stupid, I didn't say I didn't know how to drift. AND I don't drift? And quit assuming stuff.

Drift is for low to mid end power car. And requires no mods to engine. and I am all about top end. Real racing stuff.

I Only Road Race at Mid Ohio track, drag and Top Speed.

Oh one more thing I graduated from Mid Ohio raceway. I can drift very well sir. My instructor recommended, those things that I listed above, I am sure he knows more than you about driving or drifting or setting up a car.

You guys make me laugh man.
I would just like to chime in. No one is stupid. Name-calling will take away from the defense of your argument. I read that and can't keep from remembering it as I read your counter.

I will now add some fuel to the discussion:

SR22 powered Brake drifter (usually beginners)= people who use their rear brakes while drifting.
I have been drifting since March and I still do not use the side brake / ebrake. I don't know when to use it as I use a flick (feint) style. I would not peg beginners as side brake users as we are trying to grab all of the newbies and get them away from this technique.

SR22 powered Tip for brake drifters. Get Z32 rear calipers because when you use em on 240s they tend to lock before front brakes, while you still have steering. If you do this you don’t have to worry about pulling E brakes and you can pay attention to other things.
I cannot agree with you here and think this is bad advice. With the installation of z32 rears you are correct in one way. You will not have to worry about pulling the side brake because it will be gone. The 240sx stock rear caliper uses an integrated emergency brake while the 300zx/z32 uses a drum style ebrake. Installing those rear calipers would not work out too well. Great idea in theory but will not work in real life.

SR22 powered Power drift (Pros)= People who use rear wheel power to drift around corners. (I really don’t have a tip for these guys because I think they need to teach me)
I am not a pro. I do not have power. But I do happen to use my rear wheels in combination with front tire selection to drift around corners. I really do agree with you on the tips because I am new myself.

SR22 powered 2. Body roll is killer, so get rid of it. (Thicker sway bars, strut bars, better shocks, springs, control arms etc)
I 50/50 agree with this. If you are new and you have body roll you can work it into your technique. I have guys in my crew with zero suspension mods that get busy. You have to know when to roll with them and when to ease off. Body roll can be your friend.

SR22 powered 3. Get some spacers in front, its gives you better control while sliding. Like they say WIDER is BETTER
Spacers are cool but I would suggest different tires before spacers. Spacer installs run into longer studs or bolt on spacers or open lugs yadda yadda yadda.

SR22 powered 4. Light rear end is better, so take your heavy wing or speakers out. If you have ever driven a mid engine car then you know what I am talking about.
Again a 50/50. Lighter is better but 50/50 is best. If lighter is better why are people moving their batteries to their rear ends? They do this to balance the car out and try to get it to that 50/50 split.

SHIFT_Lock and you call me a wanna be drifter and you cant even power drift?
Is this from another post?

SHIFT_Lock i've been drifting for a couple years now so don't start crap with me on other threads about someone you have no idea about.
I am going to read those other threads now. This sounds interesting. I don't know you personally but I have seen your posts forever. I hope you two can work this out.

SR22 powered Drift is for low to mid end power car. And requires no mods to engine. and I am all about top end. Real racing stuff.
Can't agree with you 100% on this one. Drift cars can and do come with High hp engines and prepped in the same manner as full racecars. Japanese drifters prep their cars in the same manner as JTCC cars.

SR22 powered I Only Road Race at Mid Ohio track, drag and Top Speed.
I have drifted at Summit Point and Beaver Run. Both of those are full racetracks. I have also taken drift classes on Jefferson Circuit @ Summit Point with 6 of the turns covered in peanut oil to force drifts at full speed. Drift and full course can share. We can all get along. Someday I will run across you at a track. It will be a blast. I love road courses

SR22 powered Oh one more thing I graduated from Mid Ohio raceway. I can drift very well sir. My instructor recommended, those things that I listed above, I am sure he knows more than you about driving or drifting or setting up a car.
That is mad nice. I am going to be taking full courses in HPDE next year as well as the Evolution schools. Could you please show your instructor my answers if you have a chance. I would like to see his rebuttal. We all learn from these conversations.

SR22 powered You guys make me laugh man.
And laughter is the best medicine!

Oh and I never introduced myself. Hi! I am Stanley aka StanBo welcome to the site!
Old 08-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

ahh....the small details of motorsports and physics that we all must learn

time for more study and practice...comon fellas lets go
Old 08-28-2003, 09:43 PM

i was being nice and giving advise and opinions on a ca vs sr thread and he reads it all wrong and jumps me so i got a bit harsh. he calls me a wanna be so i tear into him.

no big deal.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:14 PM

SHIFT Lock sorry man

I didn't say anything wrong. I don't think calling someone wanna be is a negative comment cuz aren't we all wanna be something.

No hard feelings
Old 08-29-2003, 12:30 AM

it's all good. so how bout that dyno sheet?
Old 08-29-2003, 05:02 AM
Contributing Member

Cookies and milk on me!
Old 08-29-2003, 03:12 PM

Well, I did tried posting the Dyno sheet picture, but wasn't successful, It wont let me or may be its me doing something wrong. I am sure that's what it is, I am not a big fan computers or Internet.

So this is what I will do, I will email every single one of you, who wants to see SR the dyno sheet. I know how to email pictures. Maybe you can take it and post it.

So email me at JujharSgill@aol.com or just reply with your email add.

If you want to see my car in action I will be at Fresno, CA. Almont Raceway park this weekend if weather holds up.

Write back